Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:19 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
My question is what is up with people who are breaking the law (by driving in excess of the speed limit) complaining about other people possibly breaking the law? Ring, Ring, "Hey Kettle, it's POT calling ..."

The last I checked a speed LIMIT is just that, a LIMIT to the top, maximum speed to be driven on the roadway. Short of stopping your spedometer exactly on that number, you are breaking the law yourself if you are driving in excess of it, and I personally don't care what you think.

You see, someone driving say 5 mph under the speed limit is operating their vehicle in what the safety experts and law have deemed to be a SAFE manner, and are perfectly within the legal limits of operating that vehicle. Someone driving 5-15 mph over the limit on the other hand, regardless of what lane they are doing it in, is not only operating the vehicle in an UNSAFE manner, but they are doing so outside the bounds of the laws for the roadway.
5 mph over the limit is unsafe? Seriously?

*rolls eyes*

Old 10-18-2012, 10:01 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
Driving "HUA" or Head up ))

I think these people think "I paid for this highway with my tax dollars, and I'll use it as I see fit". End of story. My dad said that forty years ago and I have yet to hear a better explanation for these folks.
Also everyone (including those posting here) think everyone is a bad driver but themselves. They are "special".

Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times
I agree, and I was including myself in my comment.

I'm sure we could find unsafe behaviors in anyone's daily driving.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 AM

332 posts, read 529,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
And driving below the speed limit. Transguide CLEARLY states it is for passing. Why do people do this, it drives me nuts!!!
quit speeding and this wont be a problem for you.

i know i know, you said below the speed limit, but what you are really mad about is people who are going the limit in the fast lane.

did you know that unless you have a medical emergency, you are not allowed to speed? strange fact i know!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:12 AM

332 posts, read 529,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Don't forget section 545.053.

If you are on the left and are honked at you have to go to the right and let the car behind you pass. It says nothing whatsoever about speed limits.
it doesnt have too. the law is implied. for you to suggest its not just because a certain section of the traffic code doesnt include it is absurd at the least!

i dont care who you are. honk at me and im only going to keep going the speed limit, or slow down to the speed limit if i was slightly speeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
5 mph over the limit is unsafe? Seriously?

*rolls eyes*
its against the law. that's really all that matters. you cant pick and choose which you follow ya know...

Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessQQmorePEWPEW View Post
its against the law. that's really all that matters. you cant pick and choose which you follow ya know...
Exactly, just like the state law that says it is illegal to occupy the left lane of a multi-lane highway unless you are passing. It's just as illegal to break that law as it is to speed.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Exactly, just like the state law that says it is illegal to occupy the left lane of a multi-lane highway unless you are passing. It's just as illegal to break that law as it is to speed.
Where exactly does it expressly say in the law the the left lane is for passing only. I looked around on the TDPS site and found a long list in a document listing trans portation codes, rules of the road etc. but I have never been able to find any documented law in Texas that clearly states that the left lane on a multiple lane freeway is for passing only. Here's a link. Can you find it on there?

TRANSPORTATION CODE**CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES

Or any official language that states that it is illegal to drive in the left lane of a multi lane freeway unless you are in the act of passing (over taking) another vehicle?
Everybody seems to think it is illegal, including who ever is doing the typing for SA transguide. You would think finding this law writen down somewhere would not be that hard but so far the only thing that people show me is the law that states you must use the right side of the roadway. The only people this addresses is the Wrong Way Drivers that we have hearing so much about latley. Not people just driving in the left lane of the freeway.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 PM

410 posts, read 923,799 times
I see all sorts of slowness (and rocket speed foolishness) in ALL lanes by all types of folks. I'm not sure if the sign is still being displayed but I saw it posted while I was in the most doggone heaviest of traffic. The roadways are so congested, there is no wiggle room, and in my opinion, I think some ppl misinterpret sign and view it not as a proper passing lane but a "move over, to hec w the speed limit cuz the sign says I can 'pass', so I'm outta here" lane in which they themselves never leave. In my experience I've only seen this type of sign on remote highways. Drive Friendly San Antonio...it ain't all that hard really......Happy Pre-Friday!!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:00 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:
it doesnt have too. the law is implied. for you to suggest its not just because a certain section of the traffic code doesnt include it is absurd at the least!

i dont care who you are. honk at me and im only going to keep going the speed limit, or slow down to the speed limit if i was slightly speeding.

I wouldn't be surprised if others frequently refer you to section 545.107

Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 PM

413 posts, read 742,082 times
Quote:

You'll care when I call you in and you get cited.

Also, you can pick and choose the laws that you follow as long as you are willing to accept the punishment. If one can afford the fine, then who are you to tell them that they can't speed? The highway doesn't need hall monitors like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio