Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,784 times

Advertisements

I am hoping someone can help me. We are not the ONLY house that backs up to Wilderness Oak. We have had our house on the market since the end of March 2012. We've had 40 showings (yes, forty) and all the feedback has been extremely positive on the interior and exterior of the house BUT they decline because our nearly half an acre backyard backs up to Wilderness Oak.
Anyone have any suggestions? I've already called the city and they can't divert Wilderness Oak from behind our house :-) No really, if you have sold a house in the same circumstances, maybe you could offer some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 07:59 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursey*32 View Post
I am hoping someone can help me. We are not the ONLY house that backs up to Wilderness Oak. We have had our house on the market since the end of March 2012. We've had 40 showings (yes, forty) and all the feedback has been extremely positive on the interior and exterior of the house BUT they decline because our nearly half an acre backyard backs up to Wilderness Oak.
Anyone have any suggestions? I've already called the city and they can't divert Wilderness Oak from behind our house :-) No really, if you have sold a house in the same circumstances, maybe you could offer some help.
If the price is right, people become more accepting of conditions they perceive to be undesirable. That is the only alternative I can see for you.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 PM

6 posts, read 12,890 times
I am an agent and it will simply come down to price. The only other creative options are as follows:

1) Hire a designer to come into the house to see what can moved around or removed completely to help the house show better.

2) Consider getting professional HDR photography. The cost is normally around $200 and involves a layering process that will make your photos stand out.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,784 times
Thanks ya'll. Unfortunately -or fortunately - we've had a pro stager do the lay out inside and outside, and we have HDR photog on realtor.com (I think that's a huge reason for the number of showings we've had). Out of ALL of the showings we haven't had one single offer. The feedback we get from the potential buyers are they absolutely love the house and what they would get for the price we're asking but....
The one thing we kept our agent from doing was over guesstimating and setting the initial selling price too high. We started and still have it listed $20k less then other homes that have sold around us. We really can't afford to come down any further. Agent fees would kill us if we went very much lower.
I so thank you both for replying with some feedback.
Any good karma everyone can send our way to get it sold is so appreciated. We really don't want to rent it out. We have the time to sit it out.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:45 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
What is Wilderness Oak?

Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,803 times
Is the total size of your lot a half acre or is your back yard truly a half acre? Not sure if this applies to you but I did a google street view and could clearly see into the backyards of houses along the road.

Just to offer some perspective when I looked at houses I immediately ruled out places that backed out out onto busy roads. Traffic and the resulting noise is only gonna get worse. Not to mention the accidents caused by speeding and drunk drivers which inevitably seem to end up in the homeowners back yard.

Maybe you could plant trees at the rear of the property. Doesn't help in the short term but in the long term will screen the property from the road.

Best of luck to you.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
What is Wilderness Oak?
Wilderness Oak is a busy arterial street in Stone Oak. It's also an elementary school, but I doubt that backing up to an elementary school would be a detriment.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:15 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
Could this be a circumstance where you pricing it too low might make buyers wonder why you're discounting the property?
I don't know if that really happens with real estate but it's the only thing I can come up with.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Probably too late now, considering you've spent all that money on staging: but a BERM between you and whichever noise source (street or school) is 'Wilderness Oak' would probably solve the problem. If it's a street, I'd have the thing graded to cause an errant auto to flip over BEFORE it got over the berm and into the rest of your yard.

And obviously, the berm which should have been added should have been planted with a dense screen of foliage. Florida Jasmine, maybe? But there are so many Texas natives which are dream plants, that part would be easy.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:07 PM

993 posts, read 2,491,119 times
Lower your price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio