Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times

Advertisements

And I mean the city, not the road. I've got a potential job opportunity out that way and I am doing some preliminary research on housing choices in the area:

-I would be driving away from SA to get to work (up north in Comal County), so commuting into the city is a non-issue.

-No kids, so schools aren't really an issue

-My ideal situation would be a smaller town that is close to suburban amenities or a suburban area. Not at all interested in urban lifestyle.

-I'd be able to afford a house, but I prefer to rent (due to not having to sell if I move). I'd like to rent either a small house or townhouse; a top end apartment would also be OK. Were I to buy a house, I could afford the $275-350k range, but I prefer to spend less than that to have more disposable income.

Anyway, any information on Bulverde or some of the areas around it would be appreciated. I'm also open to living a bit further away (such as Boerne or New Braunfels) since I could take back roads and avoid traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
What would the housing budget be?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 AM

Probably $1500-2000 per month.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Im sorry i missed that whole paragraph in you OP.

I have always loved Bulverde when we drive through it/ visit relatives. It has some retail (HEB, Home Depot, Etc) but you would be only 10 mins from the Stone Oak madness which has everything you could possible want. The city planners are extremely involved in what the dream "smart growth."

I would look at Spring Branch as option as well.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
If anyone from the household will work in San Antonio, there's still an issue with traffic on the commute between Bulverde to San Antonio. I say "still" because US 281 is better than it used to be, but still has less capacity than it needs at rush hour. Since the superstreet lanes were added in 2009, the traffic there's no longer a dealbreaker, but it could become one again in a few years if the highway isn't expanded.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
If anyone from the household will work in San Antonio, there's still an issue with traffic on the commute between Bulverde to San Antonio. I say "still" because US 281 is better than it used to be, but still has less capacity than it needs at rush hour. Since the superstreet lanes were added in 2009, the traffic there's no longer a dealbreaker, but it could become one again in a few years if the highway isn't expanded.
There wouldn't be anyone working in the city.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
There wouldn't be anyone working in the city.
Then you would likely be one of the happier residents of Bulverde.

Seriously, before the superstreet, the traffic was so bad that an auto dealer closed up shop rather than put up with the bumper-to-bumper traffic that was impeding its employees and customers from getting to and from there. The superstreet was, by the admission of its designers, just a band-aid solution.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:38 AM

500 posts, read 969,509 times
I've lived in Bulverde since '92. Seen many changes, a lot of traffic and growth coming out here from town. I still love it out here, and it's a pretty cool place to live. Large acreage homes, so that you're not looking into your neighbor's windows, or even their yard for that matter. Beautiful, serene views of trees and hills. Can't beat it.

Since you apparently will work out this way, you won't have to deal with the traffic. I worked out of my home prior to retirement. As prior posters have said, there's some retail and a few restaurants out here, but there's about anything you would ever need 15 minutes south at Stone Oak/1604. Living out here is really a lifestyle choice anyway, getting away from the concrete jungle.

Your budget should be adequate for a 3 bedroom home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio