U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 AM
 
2,748 posts, read 2,696,225 times
Reputation: 3011

Advertisements

Get on the bus: VIA Primo rolls out, expected in LV by end of year - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2013, 12:05 PM
 
Location: San Antonio-Westover Hills
6,878 posts, read 18,213,268 times
Reputation: 5152
I don't get it; is this a true Express bus? As in getting on the freeway, bypassing bus stops and just going from point A to B to C? Because that would be nice; anything else IMHO is just a waste of time and taxpayer money.

This coming from someone experienced with Houston's sometimes great, sometimes atrocious METRO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 PM
 
5,631 posts, read 6,441,344 times
Reputation: 3608
VIA Primo has its own bus stops. Living in the medical center area, I see them quite a bit.


I really hate the timing of the new traffic lights installed for these buses. I have to wait much longer now at the lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
 
Location: San Antonio-Westover Hills
6,878 posts, read 18,213,268 times
Reputation: 5152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
VIA Primo has its own bus stops. Living in the medical center area, I see them quite a bit.


I really hate the timing of the new traffic lights installed for these buses. I have to wait much longer now at the lights.

I like the idea of their own stops as long as there aren't too many! lol

Hadn't thought about the lights. Ugh. That's a BRT thing I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 12:39 PM
 
5,631 posts, read 6,441,344 times
Reputation: 3608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I like the idea of their own stops as long as there aren't too many! lol

Hadn't thought about the lights. Ugh. That's a BRT thing I guess.
The lights take twice as long to change now. I leave the neighborhood for work on a different street now so it isn't a major deal.

I see some people get really frustrated and just go anyways. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Austin
1,663 posts, read 3,086,067 times
Reputation: 1062
Those are some loooooong buses! Is it supposed to shuttle people around the med center and alleviate the parking situation? One time I tried to find parking at the VA and it was impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
5,142 posts, read 11,472,752 times
Reputation: 2505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Those are some loooooong buses! Is it supposed to shuttle people around the med center and alleviate the parking situation? One time I tried to find parking at the VA and it was impossible.
VIA Primo is finally here - San Antonio Express-News
There is a new route (600) that is a trolley of sorts to help people park at the Med Center park and ride and to their med center destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 04:33 PM
 
Location: The "original 36" of SA
816 posts, read 1,478,904 times
Reputation: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I don't get it; is this a true Express bus? As in getting on the freeway, bypassing bus stops and just going from point A to B to C? Because that would be nice; anything else IMHO is just a waste of time and taxpayer money.

This coming from someone experienced with Houston's sometimes great, sometimes atrocious METRO.
You could call it a "mostly express bus" . The stops are much further apart (1/2 mile, I think) and the buses have traffic signal priority (as noted above), so travel time is cut down significantly. Once VIA finally gets their prepaid boarding system working (a personal pet peeve that it isn't operational yet), the speed of loading the bus will increase.

A real world example: my neighbor works downtown at the courthouse. He said that the time to walk to our neighborhood station and get to his office was roughly equal (within just a few minutes) to the time it takes him to drive and park.

Is it as great as what they promised? No. Does it cause me to worry that the streetcar project will be dumbed down? Yes. But... considering that VIA replaced the two busiest bus routes in SA (the 91 and 92) with a single Primo route and improved the frequency and speed of service, the project was hardly a waste of taxpayer money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Austin
1,663 posts, read 3,086,067 times
Reputation: 1062
Quote:
There is a new route (600) that is a trolley of sorts to help people park at the Med Center park and ride and to their med center destination
Awesome I have to check on that as parking at the VA is a real challenge. So I guess the Primo bus is separate from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 07:01 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
993 posts, read 2,193,665 times
Reputation: 308
I want to request a bus route
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top