Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,822,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Detailing 34 View Post
I live in the Westover Valley sub off of Wiseman and Hwy 151. We have had 2 breaks in last 30 days during the day, 5 probably in the past 6 months. Yestersday, my neighbor (renter in the military) got a call from ADT @ 5:12 pm of alarm going off and she was 5 min away from ariving home to find out it was broken into. Next door got hit first a couple weeks ago but by the same way. Used a crowbar and went straight to the master bedroom and went after the jewelry, no electronics. We all have each others numbers and need to come up with our own plan.
Did the cops respond to the alarm? Whenever they go straight in for something it really creeps me out, implies that the person robbed had been watched prior......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,938,819 times
If you don't like to be responsible for your own security put a sign on your door "GUN FREE ZONE" .
Many are taking the innitiative to arm them selves and get training .
Dong nothing simply empowers the criminal.
Motion sensor lights are a moderate deturrant , and real live cameras are even better ,but if a perp is determined these things won't matter .
Unless you have a cop living in your home 24/7, there is no way to protect your self choosing neglect .

Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
Did the cops respond to the alarm? Whenever they go straight in for something it really creeps me out, implies that the person robbed had been watched prior......

Actually that implies to me that whoever went in.. has been inside before. I think more then likely it was someone they knew.. which makes it even worse.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,276,143 times
So I need an opinion as to whether posting some sign indicating I have guns would deter a break-in or make them come in looking for my guns. I'm not trying to be stupid or start an arguement I'm just home alone a lot with my kids and want to make the best decision. We are very well alarmed-even the upstairs windows. I have additional locks on downstairs windows because the alarm was broke when we moved in. I do not keep the key in the deadbolt in the only door with glass. I keep all other blinds closed at night and usually in the day although after school the kids run in and out but there are a lot of people around on our street all day. No gates but generally safe area now known for gun owners thanks to a very recent shooting of some car thieves. Guns locked in gun safe until kids go to bed then when hubby is gone I put one in nightstand and leave safe open so I can get the Glock too if needed. The purpose of the alarm is to scare off stupid kids and give me time to get to the top of the stairs with my gun. After having my son set it off accidentally I am under no illusion the police could possibly get here before someone harmed my kids. So seriously what else should I do to protect my family and make my house as unattractive a target as possible?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,446,481 times
Isn't it strange that people that live in the "safe" areas have the biggest fear of others? We don't personally have firearms in our home, have never felt the need even after a break in in the middle of the night. Do we advertise it? No, of course not. We do have an alarm system that is local. It's actually what scared off the robbers. I do know that SAPD was at our house with in 2 and a half minutes, I was on the phone with them and the 911 operator did a great job in keeping me calm. We have never had a repeat occurrence and don't live in fear for our lives and didn't turn our home in to an armory or fortress.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,059,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
So I need an opinion as to whether posting some sign indicating I have guns would deter a break-in or make them come in looking for my guns. I'm not trying to be stupid or start an arguement I'm just home alone a lot with my kids and want to make the best decision. We are very well alarmed-even the upstairs windows. I have additional locks on downstairs windows because the alarm was broke when we moved in. I do not keep the key in the deadbolt in the only door with glass. I keep all other blinds closed at night and usually in the day although after school the kids run in and out but there are a lot of people around on our street all day. No gates but generally safe area now known for gun owners thanks to a very recent shooting of some car thieves. Guns locked in gun safe until kids go to bed then when hubby is gone I put one in nightstand and leave safe open so I can get the Glock too if needed. The purpose of the alarm is to scare off stupid kids and give me time to get to the top of the stairs with my gun. After having my son set it off accidentally I am under no illusion the police could possibly get here before someone harmed my kids. So seriously what else should I do to protect my family and make my house as unattractive a target as possible?
I wouldn't put out a sign saying you have guns. I think that would invite someone to come in and steal them. It sounds like you have a great system and plan in place, and kudos to you for exercising your right to defend yourself, your kids, and your property. I'm sure you live in a safe area, but peace and sanctity are ruined by the bad guys and they typically don't go looking to steal from the slums. Don't let anyone try their belittling techniques as has already been done in this thread.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:19 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,905,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
I wouldn't put up a sign saying you have guns, that's just asking someone to watch the house and break in when you're not home.

I think break-ins happen most often during the day, when thieves assume the house is empty. If you can park your car in the driveway instead of the garage so it shows that someone is home, that helps. Also, you said you keep your guns in the safe when the kids are awake...if someone breaks in during the day, can you get to the safe and get your gun before they get in? It might be safer to teach the kids about guns and then leave your gun accessible during the day so you'll have it if you need it. Even if accessible to you means out of reach and sight of the kids, maybe on the top shelf of a tall bookcase.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,852,117 times
You COULD install a lock on the gun, behind the trigger that would make it impossible to fire it without removing it first, then KEEP THE KEY ON YOUR BODY AT ALL TIMES. For me, it was easier to teach the kids that touching my guns meant life as they knew it ends.... I think each of us must decide what gun safety means for ourselves - and for some, that means NO guns - and that's cool.
Guns are a VERY personal choice, one which I don't presume to make for anyone other than myself. The few times I've needed one in my life, I've had one at hand - and there have been MANY times that I was armed and managed to talk the situation down and avoid escalation. I don't WANT to have to shoot another person - but will if the situation requires it.
Would I advertise the presence of guns in my home? Absolutely not. Your best bet is to ALWAYS keep your defensive measures quiet until they're needed. And if someone is kicking in your door, do NOT announce that you have a gun IMO - that warns them that they may want to draw their own if they have one. Let 'em think that you're without defense if it comes to that...
Look - LOTS of talk as of late about shooting - pro and con. PLEASE believe me - the LAST thing you WANT to do is shoot someone. Forget about the potential legal entanglements - it's the psychological impact on YOU that you can't begin to appreciate until you've done it. Be prepared, and if it needs to happen don't hesitate - but avoid it if at all possible.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,468,886 times
Large dog is the first good deterent....good relationship with neighbors (especially those that are home full time), alarm system, and last but not least, we have an internal recording device in our master closet area...should someone enter uninvited, they would have a hard time knowing where to look for this, but it would record their activities in the area they would probably be looking the hardest...and that would be GREAT to have to provide the police for evidence and "crimestopper" type of searching for the perps. It is inexpensive and hidden vs out in the open.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,276,143 times
My fears come not from where I live but rather experiences I have had in San Antonio. I thought advertising might not be the best route to go I need to keep the gun in the safe because we have a lot of neighborhood kids in and out most days. Have good solid relationships with many neighbors although my immediate side and back neighbors are single women that I would most likely end up protecting and not the other way around. We've always had a dog until a few years ago and will soon but we need to put up a new fence first because the neighbor dogs made holes in the fence and I don't want the kids in the middle of a dog fight! Because the kids and I are on our own so much it falls to me to protect them. Husband leaves out of town every week and if someone is watching it would be easy to know when he was gone. I am home much of the day as our most of the mothers on our street so for professionals at least our street is probably not a good target for daytime break-ins. I'm actually a pretty laid back mom. Kids play outside with friends, ride bikes, occasionally walk around the neighborhood (if the 11 yr old is with the younger one) and I'm way less crazy about hovering than most of my friends but I'm also not stupid. I know where I live is getting more break-ins and while I don't care about stuff my kids are my world and I won't let anything happen to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio