Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 AM

790 posts, read 1,882,914 times

Advertisements

Just submitting an observation here (on vet care) -- when my dachshund had her teeth cleaned in SA, the vet let her go home groggy at around 2:30 p.m. But here in Northern Virginia/DC, they did not release her until she was alert, and they preferred to wait until she had passed urine, etc. Other clinics around here have the same rule. I thought it might be money, but the teeth cleaning costs were the same and there is no extra charge for more hours in the clinic. Just a thought....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 03:06 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,472,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
Just submitting an observation here (on vet care) -- when my dachshund had her teeth cleaned in SA, the vet let her go home groggy at around 2:30 p.m. But here in Northern Virginia/DC, they did not release her until she was alert, and they preferred to wait until she had passed urine, etc. Other clinics around here have the same rule. I thought it might be money, but the teeth cleaning costs were the same and there is no extra charge for more hours in the clinic. Just a thought....
Totally Agree! Pavlov did her teeth at 0730 and she got the heart monitor PLUS 2 bags of IV fluids to keep her good....again, greyhounds have such special needed being put under....but she did great (and peed buckets before they let her come home). VERY happy given our regular vet is the first to admit that he does NOT specialize in the anesthesia needs of Greyhounds....but does great with everything else!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:21 PM

61,912 posts, read 87,428,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
long time posters can't recommend a place anymore? What?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2feebs View Post
i thought they could? What happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancho-villa View Post
don't think you can start threads with recommendations .. And some seem to be getting away with more than they are allowed. Glad to see control being taken. the same rules should apply to everyone.

^^^^^ this!!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,472,159 times
I only hope this decision to not allow anyone to START a thread with a recommendation HELPS vs HURTS this forum....negativity has been growning at an alarming pace, and a LOT of the "here to help" posters have moved on deciding not to deal with it...so VERY sad given this should be a POSITIVE recommendation place for all of SA....not just a gripe and moan session.

Not my forum, not my decision, but I hope the consideration to NOT ALLOW POSITIVE posts to "start" is at least reviewed over the course of time....otherwise it can become a B&$#H and Moan session way to easily.

Being PROUD of the city and the services it offers should be seen in a POSITIVE light to all those needing/wanting info on our fair city...IMHO.

Last edited by Paka; 03-20-2013 at 04:34 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 AM

52 posts, read 93,565 times
i see nothing wrong with recommending a good vet, based on personal experience. its one thing to continually plug someone, but that isnt the case with paka.

also, gigantic props to dr wood for treating my ragdolls. dude really knows what he's doing!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:01 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,012,341 times
Well, many threads have been locked/modified/deleted because of that rule, so if it's gonna apply, it's gotta apply to everyone!

And, since it appears that a lot of people don't bother reading the Terms of Service in the first place, consumer complaints aren't allowed either!

Quote:
This is not the right place for consumer complaints. Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:15 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,752,062 times
Okay I am confused as to whether or not this is okay, or if I should start a new thread for this..?

I was wondering if there are any vets in town known for helping with what might be allergies..? I have an itchy dog. She doesn't have fleas. I have changed her food from cheap HEB stuff to the best that I can currently afford (Evolve). I am giving her fish oil supplements.

She has improved tremendously; she used to have patches of fur missing but it's all grown back, but she is still itchy and it doesn't seem to matter what we do. Her skin is not red and doesn't *look* irritated but the poor thing just scratches and scratches and we really want to get to the bottom of it. At first we were told "flea allergy" but we have been diligent about keeping her flea free for a long time now. So it can't be fleas after almost a year of NO fleas.

We don't over-bathe her either.

Anyway I know some vet out there might be better at handling this than others who will tell us to give her Benadryl and not have any other advice, so I thought I'd ask here. I would prefer to figure out why, vs. just giving her cortisone shots or whatever without figuring out the cause.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:45 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,439,674 times
There are pet dermatologists and you can pay to give your pet an allergy test and find out the cause.

We had a dog with the same issues and when we switched the flavor of the Costco dog food it went away.
We were feeding our dogs Lamb and switched to Chicken and they were all fine.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:24 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,065,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Okay I am confused as to whether or not this is okay, or if I should start a new thread for this..?

I was wondering if there are any vets in town known for helping with what might be allergies..? I have an itchy dog. She doesn't have fleas. I have changed her food from cheap HEB stuff to the best that I can currently afford (Evolve). I am giving her fish oil supplements.

She has improved tremendously; she used to have patches of fur missing but it's all grown back, but she is still itchy and it doesn't seem to matter what we do. Her skin is not red and doesn't *look* irritated but the poor thing just scratches and scratches and we really want to get to the bottom of it. At first we were told "flea allergy" but we have been diligent about keeping her flea free for a long time now. So it can't be fleas after almost a year of NO fleas.

We don't over-bathe her either.

Anyway I know some vet out there might be better at handling this than others who will tell us to give her Benadryl and not have any other advice, so I thought I'd ask here. I would prefer to figure out why, vs. just giving her cortisone shots or whatever without figuring out the cause.
I don't have any experience with this, but have you researched a product called Dinovite? They advertise it incessantly on the radio so whenever anyone says their dog is itchy, I am.programmed to recommend the stuff.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:09 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,752,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I don't have any experience with this, but have you researched a product called Dinovite? They advertise it incessantly on the radio so whenever anyone says their dog is itchy, I am.programmed to recommend the stuff.
Never heard of it but I rarely listen to the radio so I am uninformed. I will look it up and see about it, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio