Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 AM

4,440 posts, read 5,361,668 times

Advertisements

The idiots who were speaking in opposition won't be happy with anything in that space. Looking at all the renderings it in no way over powers Alamo Plaza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 AM

475 posts, read 1,095,203 times
While I can appreciate a concern over sight lines and shadows with respect to this specific proposal, I find the general opposition in general to another hotel as being ridiculous, shortsighted and a bit illogical.

Yes SA 2020 has a vision for more residential downtown, but if the Alamo, Riverwalk and Convention center areas are primarily tourist (or out of down) draws, wouldn't the adjacent areas be most appropriate for a hotel? The city should decide they want more tourism over the next decade (through an expanded convention center, trying to host more events, etc.) in this area, or they should shelve any plans that would increase a need for transient rooms in this area.

Development of a hotel in this area (whatever it ends up looking like) doesn't preclude more residential development south, north, east, or west of this specific area of downtown, or affect the incentives given to developers to build more residential.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,323,303 times
I'm sad to hear about what happened. This was a really nice looking 300-footer that, in my opinion, would have blended in well with the nature of SA's DT.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:23 PM

4,440 posts, read 5,361,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I'm sad to hear about what happened. This was a really nice looking 300-footer that, in my opinion, would have blended in well with the nature of SA's DT.
Agreed and it was only 10 feet shy of 400 feet.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:21 PM

340 posts, read 587,123 times
This is not over to the tower. The developer is intent on building it. More to come.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:30 AM

810 posts, read 1,427,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
6 people now = San Antonio?

Good to see the only time you post in this thread is to showcase your cynical negative attitude. This would be the second time. How lucky are we?
Call it what you want but not recognizing that the city is continuing to make dumb decisions that keep this city from moving ahead needs to be addressed and brought out to the light.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 AM

501 posts, read 950,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Call it what you want but not recognizing that the city is continuing to make dumb decisions that keep this city from moving ahead needs to be addressed and brought out to the light.
Let me interject myself and I will call it what it is. It was 5 HDRC commissioners who voted to turn down the approval of a hotel. What else could one call it? How about hyperbole? When you associate a highrise hotel with moving the city forward. I didn't know you were such a hotel enthusiast. Look, it sucks, this would have added to the skyline. But this is far from over. I can almost guarantee it will be built. I was at that meeting and how it went down was enough to get it over turned in appeal which the developer will seek.

Seriously, if you even knew what else was in the pipeline for downtown, you'd cream your pants. You'd be the grinch when his heart finally grew in size. We'd never get one of your overly cynical and negative posts again.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:15 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,181,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Seriously, if you even knew what else was in the pipeline for downtown, you'd cream your pants.
Care to share what you know?

Old 05-03-2013, 01:03 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,449,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Care to share what you know?
Well frost is holding on to piles of cash, and excess property downtown. I'm just shooting in the dark though.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:34 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,181,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Well frost is holding on to piles of cash, and excess property downtown. I'm just shooting in the dark though.
I thought they might be ready to build a new tower downtown, but then they recently announced they were expanding their campus in Westover Hills to house everyone currently at the Rand Building, which they're selling to Graham Weston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio