Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 02:26 PM

122 posts, read 372,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm334 View Post
Of course the conservative people of San Antonio will shoot it down. That's why we never progress like other big cities. Lame.

However, I am very glad to see the development along Broadway around the Pearl.
It is not the conservative shooting it down. It is the realist, who see that all the other condo high rise projects that have failed. La Cascada in auction, the time shares at the River Center at the Grand Hyatt, and a few other condos downtown that have not sold as well as the "out of towners/transplants" they thought they would. Southtown/SoHo is mostly locals. SA is not geared toward new residence downtown, even with the streetcar project, (totally nostalgic and good). SA's growth it north of 1604. All of the new building of apartments and condos along Broadway will not fair well because it is WAY too late and not attrative enough to entice people/families to move there. The temporary measure of revitalizing "The Pearl" is a temporary measure to attract business money and tax deducutions that will dry up soon after they realize they are not making enough money to stay in business there. Everything at the Pearl is WAY overpriced. Even the "nuvo riche" will see that it is not worth the trip eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
It is not the conservative shooting it down. It is the realist, who see that all the other condo high rise projects that have failed. La Cascada in auction, the time shares at the River Center at the Grand Hyatt, and a few other condos downtown that have not sold as well as the "out of towners/transplants" they thought they would. Southtown/SoHo is mostly locals. SA is not geared toward new residence downtown, even with the streetcar project, (totally nostalgic and good). SA's growth it north of 1604. All of the new building of apartments and condos along Broadway will not fair well because it is WAY too late and not attractive enough and too expensive to entice people/families to move there. The temporary measure of revitalizing "The Pearl" is a temporary measure to attract business money and tax deducutions that will dry up soon after they realize they are not making enough money to stay in business there. Everything at the Pearl is WAY overpriced. Even the "nuvo riche" will see that it is not worth the trip eventually.
I am not anti-progressive, just a realist.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
It is not the conservative shooting it down. It is the realist, who see that all the other condo high rise projects that have failed. La Cascada in auction, the time shares at the River Center at the Grand Hyatt, and a few other condos downtown that have not sold as well as the "out of towners/transplants" they thought they would. Southtown/SoHo is mostly locals. SA is not geared toward new residence downtown, even with the streetcar project, (totally nostalgic and good). SA's growth it north of 1604. All of the new building of apartments and condos along Broadway will not fair well because it is WAY too late and not attrative enough to entice people/families to move there. The temporary measure of revitalizing "The Pearl" is a temporary measure to attract business money and tax deducutions that will dry up soon after they realize they are not making enough money to stay in business there. Everything at the Pearl is WAY overpriced. Even the "nuvo riche" will see that it is not worth the trip eventually.
Have to add that The Broadway is still not selling well

Old 03-31-2013, 03:22 PM

340 posts, read 586,329 times
Quote:
Have to add that The Broadway is still not selling well
You don't need to quote yourself every time you have to add something.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:26 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
Also, wtf are you even talking about? This building is a hotel, not a residential condo building.

There are two La Casacadas(and neither one is a hotel), the time share property, and the condo complex, they are right next to each other, and share a parkinglot/driveway

Old 03-31-2013, 04:01 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
SA if not now never. The attack of the beige is finally coming to an end. Get rid of the HDRC they have done more to hurt downtown than I can think of over the last 20 years. If was up to them we would still be using horse and buggy

Old 03-31-2013, 04:30 PM

340 posts, read 586,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
There are two La Casacadas(and neither one is a hotel), the time share property, and the condo complex, they are right next to each other, and share a parkinglot/driveway
Huh? Those buildings were never brought and have nothing to do with the comversation.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
I don't have a problem with the development above the old Joske's building, it's just that the design just doesn't look like it goes with the rest of the building. I like the glass, but maybe instead of all glass they could incorporate some of the colors from the base building with the glass structure or make it look more art deco or what ever the base building is. Keep the glass more subtle so it blends in to the area instead of standing out like something that was thrown together. It also looks too tall. The poster that called it the Emerald City has a point. It does look like it! As for turning the building into a hotel, I like that idea. If they use some of the design that was in the old Joske's store, it would really be a nice addition to downtown.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:26 PM

263 posts, read 480,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
I don't have a problem with the development above the old Joske's building, it's just that the design just doesn't look like it goes with the rest of the building. I like the glass, but maybe instead of all glass they could incorporate some of the colors from the base building with the glass structure or make it look more art deco or what ever the base building is. Keep the glass more subtle so it blends in to the area instead of standing out like something that was thrown together. It also looks too tall. The poster that called it the Emerald City has a point. It does look like it! As for turning the building into a hotel, I like that idea. If they use some of the design that was in the old Joske's store, it would really be a nice addition to downtown.
I have to agree with you,like I said before,Iam all for Progress,but keep in line with what suuronds the project.The beautiful Bldg.by Santa Rosa across Rosa Verde is a good example of the designers keeping in mind ,the style of what existed in the 40's&50's.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:49 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
SA if not now never. The attack of the beige is finally coming to an end. Get rid of the HDRC they have done more to hurt downtown than I can think of over the last 20 years. If was up to them we would still be using horse and buggy
I would like to see the color beige go away as well, but I would also appreciate actual examples of how the HDRC has hurt SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio