U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2013, 02:44 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,855 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Hello!

I am travelling to South Africa this summer and will need to drive a car there. They use cars with stick/manual and I am only experienced with automatic gear. I was wondering if there is someone in San Antonio who has a car with manual, and who could teach me how to drive for an hour?

I live by deZavala but I am willing to meet anywhere in San Antonio. I can pay $20 for an hour!

Thanks, and I hope to hear back from someone!

Sinaeh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
4,274 posts, read 6,629,936 times
Reputation: 3910
Don't forget that the wheel is on the opposite side, as well. As for one of the best cars to learn to drive a stick on, I highly recommend the Volkswagen Jetta diesel. The torque monster is more difficult to stall than most & makes learning much easier than certain other cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2013, 06:00 PM
 
47 posts, read 67,297 times
Reputation: 27
Ok we had a 54 chevy when my mom learned to drive. I was around 16 and could do anything. Dad was too busy to teach mom (Or so he said). Ok we get in the car and I tell her to push in the clutch and put it in first gear (three on the tree). I tell her to slowly let go of the clutch with her foot and give it some gas with the other foot. She does ok. Not bad. Now push in the clutch and move the shifter up to second. She does ok, not bad. We get to a stop sign. I tell her to push in the clutch and press on the brake pedal with her other foot. We Stop.I tell her to put it back in first gear. She goes HUH??? You mean I gotta do this all over again???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,547,025 times
Reputation: 4022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellviewforever View Post
Ok we had a 54 chevy when my mom learned to drive. I was around 16 and could do anything. Dad was too busy to teach mom (Or so he said). Ok we get in the car and I tell her to push in the clutch and put it in first gear (three on the tree). I tell her to slowly let go of the clutch with her foot and give it some gas with the other foot. She does ok. Not bad. Now push in the clutch and move the shifter up to second. She does ok, not bad. We get to a stop sign. I tell her to push in the clutch and press on the brake pedal with her other foot. We Stop.I tell her to put it back in first gear. She goes HUH??? You mean I gotta do this all over again???
LOL!

I learned to drive a stick on the absolute WORST POS ancient pickup truck my mom had. Some guy I went to HS with taught me. Best thing ever because EVERY car after that seemed smooth as silk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 PM
 
3,669 posts, read 5,898,364 times
Reputation: 1788
You might appreciate this previous thread on the topic.

Learning stick Shift
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM
 
11,210 posts, read 8,347,320 times
Reputation: 20256
My step dad drove me 20 miles to the dealership, put me in my new car (a stick) and said "see you at the house!" :O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 PM
 
500 posts, read 796,784 times
Reputation: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
My step dad drove me 20 miles to the dealership, put me in my new car (a stick) and said "see you at the house!" :O
HA! Did the same with my daughter many years ago!! Wasn't a new car though.

BTW, she still drives stick - 3 cars later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2013, 09:18 PM
 
2,039 posts, read 4,891,627 times
Reputation: 1204
Try to look for youtube videos and see if that helps. Good Luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2013, 05:26 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,855 times
Reputation: 13
Thank you all for your suggestions! i will definitely watch and read to prepare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2013, 12:46 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
4,274 posts, read 6,629,936 times
Reputation: 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
LOL!

I learned to drive a stick on the absolute WORST POS ancient pickup truck my mom had. Some guy I went to HS with taught me. Best thing ever because EVERY car after that seemed smooth as silk.
One of the cars I learned was on a mid-90's Jeep Cherokee. Absolutely atrocious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:47 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top