Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,509 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am travelling to South Africa this summer and will need to drive a car there. They use cars with stick/manual and I am only experienced with automatic gear. I was wondering if there is someone in San Antonio who has a car with manual, and who could teach me how to drive for an hour?

I live by deZavala but I am willing to meet anywhere in San Antonio. I can pay $20 for an hour!

Thanks, and I hope to hear back from someone!

Sinaeh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Don't forget that the wheel is on the opposite side, as well. As for one of the best cars to learn to drive a stick on, I highly recommend the Volkswagen Jetta diesel. The torque monster is more difficult to stall than most & makes learning much easier than certain other cars.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:00 PM

47 posts, read 87,765 times
Ok we had a 54 chevy when my mom learned to drive. I was around 16 and could do anything. Dad was too busy to teach mom (Or so he said). Ok we get in the car and I tell her to push in the clutch and put it in first gear (three on the tree). I tell her to slowly let go of the clutch with her foot and give it some gas with the other foot. She does ok. Not bad. Now push in the clutch and move the shifter up to second. She does ok, not bad. We get to a stop sign. I tell her to push in the clutch and press on the brake pedal with her other foot. We Stop.I tell her to put it back in first gear. She goes HUH??? You mean I gotta do this all over again???

Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellviewforever View Post
Ok we had a 54 chevy when my mom learned to drive. I was around 16 and could do anything. Dad was too busy to teach mom (Or so he said). Ok we get in the car and I tell her to push in the clutch and put it in first gear (three on the tree). I tell her to slowly let go of the clutch with her foot and give it some gas with the other foot. She does ok. Not bad. Now push in the clutch and move the shifter up to second. She does ok, not bad. We get to a stop sign. I tell her to push in the clutch and press on the brake pedal with her other foot. We Stop.I tell her to put it back in first gear. She goes HUH??? You mean I gotta do this all over again???
LOL!

I learned to drive a stick on the absolute WORST POS ancient pickup truck my mom had. Some guy I went to HS with taught me. Best thing ever because EVERY car after that seemed smooth as silk.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
You might appreciate this previous thread on the topic.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ick-shift.html

Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
My step dad drove me 20 miles to the dealership, put me in my new car (a stick) and said "see you at the house!" :O

Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 PM

500 posts, read 969,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
My step dad drove me 20 miles to the dealership, put me in my new car (a stick) and said "see you at the house!" :O
HA! Did the same with my daughter many years ago!! Wasn't a new car though.

BTW, she still drives stick - 3 cars later.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:18 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times
Try to look for youtube videos and see if that helps. Good Luck to you.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,509 times
Thank you all for your suggestions! i will definitely watch and read to prepare!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:46 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
LOL!

I learned to drive a stick on the absolute WORST POS ancient pickup truck my mom had. Some guy I went to HS with taught me. Best thing ever because EVERY car after that seemed smooth as silk.
One of the cars I learned was on a mid-90's Jeep Cherokee. Absolutely atrocious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio