Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 08:18 AM

50 posts, read 102,327 times

Advertisements

We are moving in 8 weeks!
I have been browsing and I really like the houses in Woods of Shavano - the estate is mature, beautiful trees, huge lots, just what we are looking for.
We have not decided to rent or buy, or rent first, then buy.

Daily commute for husband and kids will be up north towards Boerne as well as south wards towards 281/410.

Any comments about that area - traffic, neighborhood, foundation issues, houses quality, HOA, etc - anything, any comment is appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 09:22 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
The Woods of Shavano doe not have a history of foundation issues. It's certainly not a hot spot like a lot of neighborhoods in SA. Most of the builders that built homes there were the cream of SA back in the 70's. Harrington would be the pick of the litter but they all were built by well known quality builders. I would have 2 issues with living there. There's a lot of traffic out there. I'm not a fan of traffic. You're going to find out that the Police Dept in Shavano Park is there to make money. They'll give you a ticket in a heartbeat so be careful in driving thru the area. I would suggest getting a home inspector to take a look though. What you want to avoid will be aluminum wiring. The use of it in SA didn't last long and most went back to copper pretty quick but that happened when the subdivision was being built. As long as you have the electrical system evaluated every 10 years, it's not a problem. But most folks don't know that aluminum wiring and fires are common. It has to do with the expansion and contraction of aluminum that causes connections/joints to get loose/hot and subsequent arching that causes fires.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:44 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Love it. Would move back in a heart beat. I lived there from 1988 to 1998 (I know, a long time ago). We grew up there. I think we only had a few roofing issues, but that's normal for a house that age. There are still lots of families and many of the people that live there are original home owners of the home or the home has only been through a few owners. I think in the time that we lived there (and the few times I have visited since) there have only been a few houses that looked in disrepair for whatever reason.

The Woods of Shavano is not in Shavano Park proper, although you will go through there most definitely at different times.

If things haven't changed, I believe the HOA is not mandatory, but if you want to use the pool and tennis courts right in the front you will have to be a member.

Traffic on this side of 10 is nowhere near as bad as the other side, which sounds silly, but it is true. This side of 10 is much more residential than the side with Wal-Mart as that has the call centers on that side. You will be kind of in the middle of heavy coming into town traffic, but it lightens up the second you hit Huebner and the lanes open up. The commute to Boerne may be about 25 minutes and to 281/410 is about 15/20 depending on the time of day.

The schools are also great, even though you didn't mention whether schools were important or not. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the area. I would be happy to help.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:27 AM

Thanks for your replies. For a while I was confused between Shavano Park and Woods of Shavano. And boy, the house prices are really different!

Yes, I am clear now. I am looking at Woods of Shavano

I have not viewed any of the houses there, only online, but the houses look very well kept.
From the maps, what struck me as "interesting" is that there is no outlet from the subdivision to Lockhill Selma other than going all the way down to De zavala. Say, you are on Empress Woods and you want to go onto 1604, you have to go down Indian Woods till you hit De Zavala, then up Lockhill Selma. Am I right?

Old 04-20-2013, 07:34 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscoTX View Post
Thanks for your replies. For a while I was confused between Shavano Park and Woods of Shavano. And boy, the house prices are really different!

Yes, I am clear now. I am looking at Woods of Shavano

I have not viewed any of the houses there, only online, but the houses look very well kept.
From the maps, what struck me as "interesting" is that there is no outlet from the subdivision to Lockhill Selma other than going all the way down to De zavala. Say, you are on Empress Woods and you want to go onto 1604, you have to go down Indian Woods till you hit De Zavala, then up Lockhill Selma. Am I right?
Yes. But that will take you like two minutes to do. When the neighborhood was built Locke Hill Selma did not go all the way to 1604 you would have had to go down to NW Military to get on 1604 or down De Zavala to 10 to 1604. I hope that doesn't put you off the neighborhood. It's one of the oldest, and most well kept neighborhoods in the area. It was built when there was just the high school and elementary school. There were cows, coyotes and farms all along De Zavala. It's a big change from what it is now.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:41 AM

52 posts, read 93,453 times
2 words.

love it.

its a great area and you will not be upset if you move there.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:19 AM

Thanks all. Now I am really excited!
Can't wait to get there - I will study the area more - the traffic, amenities like groceries, etc.
Thanks again

Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
While The Woods of Shavano is NOT in Shavano Park, if you drive LockeHill- Selma, yer in Shavano Park. The City limits boundary is at The Woods of Shavano. It's a great area and has been well kept over the years but I would think you're probably going to find some dated homes in there. With a little work, any one of them will bring home ownership pride- you'll love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio