Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 06:25 PM

3 posts, read 10,816 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the area and i am a huge film fan. Im looking for a dvd shop that sells both new and used disc and has a great selection. I dont want to say an indie shop but for lack of a better term thats what ill use. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 02:10 AM

546 posts, read 3,103,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis1983 View Post
I just moved to the area and i am a huge film fan. Im looking for a dvd shop that sells both new and used disc and has a great selection. I dont want to say an indie shop but for lack of a better term thats what ill use. Any help would be appreciated.
Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but well, there just aren't any...the closest thing we have would be the Hollywood Video in Alamo Heights (on N. New Braunfels), and that's strictly rental - they stock a huge collection of foreign, arthouse, cult, etc. on DVD and VHS. CD Exchange has a bunch of overpriced used junk, and Best Buy is blandsville in terms of anything "indie," I mean, yeah, they carry "Gummo," but you're not going to find many classics in the indie vein (they carry a FEW Criterion DVD's here and there, not many though, and frankly, you can get them MUCH cheaper on Amazon). Sad to say, SA doesn't have much in the way of CD/VINYL/DVD super-stores like, say, Amoeba Music in LA (which just FLOORED me on my first visit!).

I do all my DVD shopping on Amazon and Xploited Cinema (for my euro-sleaze film fix - yeah, I dig highbrow AND lowbrow cinema) these days.

If in Austin though, you might wanna check out Waterloo Music, their video store (behind the music store) has a pretty cool mix of new DVD's - think "Faster, Pussycat! Kill Kill!" next to "La Dolce Vita" next to "Suspiria" next to "The Brown Bunny (uncut verson)" - my kinda joint.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:43 PM

Wow that kinda suprises me, i figured a relatively big city would have a cool video shop. I lived in Pensacola before and they had a used game and dvd shop that was great for finding hard to get stuff for a decent price. I guess with all the sales online criterions can be had cheaper sometimes new than used. Ill definantly check out that place in Austin if i head up that way. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:23 PM

925 posts, read 1,226,602 times
Planet of the Tapes in Southtown.

Planet of the Tapes - San Antonio, TX

Old 10-31-2007, 05:06 PM

546 posts, read 3,103,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Planet of the Tapes in Southtown.

Planet of the Tapes - San Antonio, TX
Planet of the Tapes closed a while back if I'm not mistaken, think the owners just do the slab cinema thing at La Tuna these days. I also believe they were rental-only...really, the only place you might find any indie-type stuff in SA is Borders, and their selection is just so-so, and way overpriced.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:24 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
There is a chain called CD Exchange. They buy and sell used videos. There's one on Broadway near the Witte Museum and one on San Pedro in the strip center at Oblate and San Pedro. I go there all the time and buy the videos. I usually keep them and sometimes sell the movies I dont't like or probably won't watch again.
So this big city does have "CD Excange". There may be more locations, check the web or yellow pages. I only know of the 2 locations I use.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
1. The CD Exchange (several locations)

2. Half-Price Books (several locations)

Offhand, those are two major places I can think of at the moment.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:27 PM

898 posts, read 2,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis1983 View Post
Wow that kinda suprises me, i figured a relatively big city would have a cool video shop. I lived in Pensacola before and they had a used game and dvd shop that was great for finding hard to get stuff for a decent price. I guess with all the sales online criterions can be had cheaper sometimes new than used. Ill definantly check out that place in Austin if i head up that way. Thanks.
I hate to tell you beavis, but get ready to get let down in many more ways here in san antonio.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:07 PM

Ha i guess its good im only here for 6 more months then. Checked out Cd Exchange and the selection was pretty mainstream and not very good prices. Guess ill stick to online shopping while here. Hopefully Black Friday can at least yield some good deals on newer stuff

Old 11-04-2007, 04:26 AM

925 posts, read 1,226,602 times
I think that was meant to be tongue and cheek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio