Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:15 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some mature ( larger) trees. Something evergreen but not necessarily just oak. Would like to have them delivered and planted. Suggestions?

Last edited by Camper1; 05-13-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I'm looking for some mature ( larger) trees. Something evergreen but not necessarily just oak. Would like to have them delivered and planted. Suggestions?
Fanick's has all sizes, including mature trees.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:25 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Camper, the Garden Center on Bandera is great, usually has good prices, and will deliver and install at fair prices. Rainbow Gardens does too, but I have no idea about how they do it. We have had things installed by the folks at the Garden Center. Love 'em.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Camper, the Garden Center on Bandera is great, usually has good prices, and will deliver and install at fair prices. Rainbow Gardens does too, but I have no idea about how they do it. We have had things installed by the folks at the Garden Center. Love 'em.
Thanks M2F!!! Tried to rep you but to soon.

I still need to decide what i want. I have a Bradford pear and red oak already planted afew years ago. Also have two silver leaf maples and two peach tress ready to plant but I want a big something to give some shade this year to replace the oaks we had to take down. Suggestions?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,279 times
Bought 2 mature trees (a Monterrey Oak and Mountain Laurel) several years ago from here: * Wholesale and Growers\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' Nurseries - Atascosa, TX - Alfaro Tree Sales, Inc.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:40 PM

265 posts, read 534,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
Bought 2 mature trees (a Monterrey Oak and Mountain Laurel) several years ago from here: * Wholesale and Growers\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' Nurseries - Atascosa, TX - Alfaro Tree Sales, Inc.
Second nomination for Alfaro's.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,340,567 times
Quote:

I still need to decide what i want. I have a Bradford pear and red oak already planted afew years ago. Also have two silver leaf maples and two peach tress ready to plant but I want a big something to give some shade this year to replace the oaks we had to take down. Suggestions?
Great choices for trees. I love silver leaf maples. We got a mature monterrey (sp) oak from Milbergers and they installed. Kinda pricey but worth it. They aren't scraggly like live oak and they are evergreen. Just be sure you get a REAL monterrey (sp). We bought another one from some place else, I think Lowes, and it went to hell quick and we found out it was a trash oak. Do your homework so you'll know the difference. Our REAL monterrey (sp) is beautiful and has a full canopy and nice shape to it. Good luck!! Sorry if I spelled the tree name wrong. Dang auto correct only works when ya don't want it to.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:05 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:

I still need to decide what i want. I have a Bradford pear and red oak already planted a few years ago. Also have two silver leaf maples and two peach tress ready to plant but I want a big something to give some shade this year to replace the oaks we had to take down. Suggestions?
Be careful where you plant the Silver Maple Leaf trees. Although it is a beautiful tree, their roots are invasive, so do not plant near foundations, sidewalks, or sewer lines. I had sprouts pop up 30 feet away from the tree.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:15 AM

18 posts, read 41,202 times
What part of town are you in? Depending on your soil type, a southern magnolia might give you the characteristics you're looking for. However, in many (not all) parts of SA, they tend to go south after 10-15 years. I live near seaworld and wanted to plant a 'little gem' magnolia, but chickened out. If you can keep it healthy, they're hard to beat!

+1 for the garden center!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 PM

Thanks! Also in the sea world area, outside 1604. I bought a magnolia but have yet to get it in the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio