Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 36,700 times

Advertisements

I'm 18 and going to the DPS office tomorrow to apply for my license. Everyone keeps telling me how horrible the actual driving test is? How was yours? Is there anything to worry about? Where did you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
From what I've seen, you have to be able to drive on the left lane on a 8 lane highway 15 MPH under the speed limit with 30 cars behind you while talking on your cell phone.

If you can do that for 10 miles... you are in

Old 07-22-2009, 11:03 PM

40 posts, read 155,573 times
Oh Gosh...I don't even think the test is that strenuous because there are so many idiots on the road...

Old 07-22-2009, 11:04 PM

13 posts, read 62,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
From what I've seen, you have to be able to drive on the left lane on a 8 lane highway 15 MPH under the speed limit with 30 cars behind you while talking on your cell phone.

If you can do that for 10 miles... you are in
I know it's not that bad. I belive they just take you around for about 5 minutes then it's done. And yeah....we have some of the worst drivers in this city.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:25 PM

898 posts, read 2,563,415 times
I didn't even have to take a test when I was 16...but I've heard it's pretty much a joke.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
My son went through driver's ed. Showing DPS the certificate that he completed it, he only had to pass a written test at the DPS office. If you're worried about the road test, that might be the way to go.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:12 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,826,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
My son went through driver's ed. Showing DPS the certificate that he completed it, he only had to pass a written test at the DPS office. If you're worried about the road test, that might be the way to go.
That's getting ready to change. Changes are coming to the currrent rules of taking the driving test. And they are coming very soon! I just got this email the other day from the online course my daughter is taking:

Quote:
Texas Students,

Please be aware that beginning September 1, 2009, the Texas legislature made some changes for teen drivers that are very important. I will provide a brief summary of those things that affect our students.

1. Beginning September 1, 2009, all persons 16-21 must take the driving test with a DPS officer or a civilian DPS employee. There will be no exemptions because you took an approved driving course. This pertains to all driver education courses, whether online or through a private driving school. I would encourage any Virtual Drive student who is eligible to go before September 1, 2009 to get their license. If you go before that time, you will still fall under the old law and rule that allows you to be exempt from having to do the driving test.

2. Starting September 1, 2009, all parents who are teaching the parent taught must have less than 6 points on their driving record. It appears at this time that all parents who have signed up for Parent Taught prior to September 1, 2009 will be grandfathered in to the old rule.

3. Starting September 1, 2009, the Graduated Driving Law will become a little stricter for the teens. Instead of the 6 month rule for GDL, it will be 12 months. In other words, for 12 months after the teen receives their license, they won't be able to have more than one teenager in their car except for relatives, they can't drive after midnight and they won't be able to use Cell Phones at all while driving. The state is really going to crack down on Cell Phone usage for teens.

4. Starting September 1, 2009, the driving time to get a license will go from 14 hours, to 34 hours. This is for all driver training courses, whether online or driving school.

Those are the ones that affect you guys the most. I don't have any more information than what I am providing at this time. There is still a lot of confusion about some other legislation that deals with teen driving, but these are the few that you need to know about right now.

Kevin Knapp
Virtual Drive President

Old 07-23-2009, 08:20 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,209,594 times
Thanks for posting the changes!!
I am glad they are making changes. It was waaaay to easy for my 16 y/o to get her driver's license.

Back in the day (when I got mine) we had to take a driving exam, I don't know why that ever changed but I'm glad they are bringing it back.

To the OP: I don't think you need to take a driving test. I thought it was just a written test once you are 18. Anyone else know for sure?

Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,826,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
To the OP: I don't think you need to take a driving test. I thought it was just a written test once you are 18. Anyone else know for sure?
Best to call the driver's license office to find out. When we returned from overseas many years ago, I had a driver's license from Japan but not a stateside license. I (at the age of 22) had to take both the written test and the actual driving test (and this was in North Texas). This was quite a *few* years ago too.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:41 AM

452 posts, read 1,028,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
You do need to take a driving test, after passing the written exam. My daughter recently got her driver license, so I'm positive about this. It was a short, five minute drive around the area, a parallel parking attempt and she was done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio