Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 AM

20 posts, read 24,801 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been doing some research since I was considering to move to San Antonio. Unfortunately, for a city its size, I keep running into the same types of jobs there in the city. They are:retail, restaurant/fast food, and call center type jobs. I figured that a city of its size would have more to offer. Are there better jobs there in SA, or is that pretty much all that is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:03 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofalltrades33 View Post
Hi, I have been doing some research since I was considering to move to San Antonio. Unfortunately, for a city its size, I keep running into the same types of jobs there in the city. They are:retail, restaurant/fast food, and call center type jobs. I figured that a city of its size would have more to offer. Are there better jobs there in SA, or is that pretty much all that is there?
Search on Indeed for your ideal job. They are out there, but yes, we do have an abundance of those jobs. What are you looking to move here for job wise? Maybe we can help?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:05 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
Quote:
That's not ALL there is....but those types of jobs are certainly a sizable portion. Check medical field work, oil field work etc... as well. Seems to be always a demand for those.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:25 AM

702 posts, read 726,810 times
Quote:
San Antonio is the 7th biggest city in the united states. If you have low/no skills and are looking for an entry level job those are going to be the ones you're going to be finding. There are a multitude of other jobs in healthcare, construction, insurance, accounting, real estate, law enforcement, whatever else.

What is your degree in? What job field do you currently work in? Whatever it is, unless it is Marine Biologist* or Volcanologist there is probably work for you.

*Unless Sea World is hiring.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:04 PM

20 posts, read 24,801 times
Thank you very much for your replies, as of right now I live in east texas and it is NOT as friendly as people make it out to be here..i have struggled a lot even just to make friends and I have been here for several years already. Things are not getting better, they are getting worse. I have a degree in history and I speak spanish fluently. I taught for a little bit here, but due to medical problems, it has been hard for me to get fully certified and I am also still not sure that teaching is the right career for me. With that being said, oil jobs would probably be out as well. I am 35 and my back is kinda messed up now to where I really can't put any undue strain on it. I am looking for a city that offers opportunities as well as a low cost of living which I heard that San Antonio was the city that I was looking for.

Sit down jobs would probably be the best type of jobs for me, but if I had to pick a job where I had to stand up, the only retail job that I know that pays decently is Tmobile. A rep told me that she made almost 48k which is more than what I made when I taught. I just don't know if there are a lot of jobs where someone can sit down or if there are jobs where it's stand up all day. On top of all this, I am considering going back for my masters in public administration, but it would mean even MORE time over here...and while I want the degree, I don't want to be here...one person already told me that I should say screw the masters and leave, but the program is easy for me(currently 4.0) and it would give me a leg up with public sector jobs. I just didn't know if there were any global companies that were headquarted over there or a place that paid fairly decent starting out.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:25 PM

146 posts, read 246,835 times
Are you up for learning some more computer skills?

Rackspace has good training and good jobs:

Open Cloud Academy

Old 08-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Sit down jobs would probably be the best type of jobs for me,
Sounds like you should give more serious consideration to call center jobs, then. They are abundant in SA, at a variety of pay ranges.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:12 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Welcome To The City of San Antonio Human Resources Department

Maybe here?

Old 08-21-2013, 04:27 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Sounds like you should give more serious consideration to call center jobs, then. They are abundant in SA, at a variety of pay ranges.
And the stigma of call center jobs doesn't help. Not all call center jobs are West. I have friends that work at UPS and love it, also USAA. Those two in particular pay well.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:29 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
On top of all this, I am considering going back for my masters in public administration, but it would mean even MORE time over here...and while I want the degree, I don't want to be here...one person already told me that I should say screw the masters and leave, but the program is easy for me(currently 4.0) and it would give me a leg up with public sector jobs. I just didn't know if there were any global companies that were headquarted over there or a place that paid fairly decent starting out.
If you are interested in pursuing public sector jobs, I would recommend the MBA instead. I pursued the MPA program for a few weeks and found it very academic based and not workplace based type of assignments. The good thing with an MBA is that you can apply for both public sector and private sector positions while the MPA is more limited into the public sector. I work in public sector and see many MBAs and the MBA offers the flexibility of applying to private sector positions if you cannot find anything in public sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio