Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 02:22 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Never had trouble with overheating in any car we've had, or tires for that matter.
A sudden change in temperature (usually cold weather) can cause tires to lose a bit of their pressure. It actually happened to me not too long ago when I went to Boerne for a few days and then came back to SA (weird since it was like 2-3 degree difference but maybe the higher elevation affected it too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 07:23 AM

302 posts, read 1,156,106 times
"The other day I was driving home (about 40 mins freeway, then stop and go bumper to bumper traffic for another 30 mins) and during the stop and go traffic, the light for "check engine temperature" came on. "

This is the critical clue you'll want to communicate to your repair facility.

It indicates your cooling fan(s) motor is not operating properly. During highways speed driving, high pressure in front of the vehicle is moving air across your condenser and radiator which provides heat transfer/cooling effect. In stop and go traffic, it's your cooling fan(s) job to move the air across the condenser and radiator for cooling.

You'll also want to have them make sure that all the condenser baffles/guides are in place to direct air properly and that there is no foreign object or debris blocking airflow.

As mentioned earlier, you can turn on your heater and put the fan on full speed if you should get another overheat scare in the meantime. Your heater core will act as a secondary radiator and draw heat away from the engine. Yeah, it'll be toasty inside but it just may save your cylinder head in an emergency.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:32 AM

302 posts, read 1,156,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
A sudden change in temperature (usually cold weather) can cause tires to lose a bit of their pressure. It actually happened to me not too long ago when I went to Boerne for a few days and then came back to SA (weird since it was like 2-3 degree difference but maybe the higher elevation affected it too).
You still have summer air in your tires. Swing by Discount Tire and ask them for "winter air." The molecules are more dense. They'll do it for free.

Ok, but seriously....

That is true. Pressure is proportionate to temperature.

Proper protocol is to check/adjust your tire pressure "cold." Meaning, when the car has been sitting without driving for a few hours. As you drive, tire to road friction heats up the air inside and causes an increase in pressure. As the car sits, it will return to normal recommended inflation pressure. If you were to adjust your tire to specification hot, you would be underinflated when cold. Underinflated tires contribute to wear and mileage loss.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattle axis View Post
You still have summer air in your tires. Swing by Discount Tire and ask them for "winter air." The molecules are more dense. They'll do it for free.

Ok, but seriously....

That is true. Pressure is proportionate to temperature.

Proper protocol is to check/adjust your tire pressure "cold." Meaning, when the car has been sitting without driving for a few hours. As you drive, tire to road friction heats up the air inside and causes an increase in pressure. As the car sits, it will return to normal recommended inflation pressure. If you were to adjust your tire to specification hot, you would be underinflated when cold. Underinflated tires contribute to wear and mileage loss.
Yep. I was on 10 and stopped at one of the few Discount Tires on the way home just to make sure there wasn't anything to serious going on since I did have a nail in my tire in May.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:08 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,195 times
Cars are tested to cool properly in much worse temperatures than you ever have in Texas so it's most definitely a problem.

It could be any number of things or a combination of things from: cooling fan motor is shot, thermostat, sensor, fuse, coolant low, water pump, clogged cooling system, or relay.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-25-2013, 11:06 AM

296 posts, read 1,250,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Cars are tested to cool properly in much worse temperatures than you ever have in Texas so it's most definitely a problem.

It could be any number of things or a combination of things from: cooling fan motor is shot, thermostat, sensor, fuse, coolant low, water pump, clogged cooling system, or relay.

Posted with TapaTalk
Thank you! So bizarre, they checked all of those and a few other things (hoses, leaks etc) and hooked the car up and it wouldn't overheat again, so I guess it only likes to do this on my watch! Second shop that couldn't find anything wrong. I'm hoping it was just a weird one time thing, but they said if it happens again bring it back and they'll check it out again free.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:33 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
One other thing - most modern cars are "sealed" systems - all coolant should be added via the overflow tank. Take a look at it, and see if the fluid is at the proper level.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:36 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post
Thank you! So bizarre, they checked all of those and a few other things (hoses, leaks etc) and hooked the car up and it wouldn't overheat again, so I guess it only likes to do this on my watch! Second shop that couldn't find anything wrong. I'm hoping it was just a weird one time thing, but they said if it happens again bring it back and they'll check it out again free.
As mentioned by others.....if it gets into the red again, turn on the HEAT to maximum and turn the blower on. You didn't want to shut down an overheating engine as that only makes it hotter without the coolant circulating.

There's a REMOTE possibility that the temperature sending unit (sensor) is malfunctioning and giving you a false reading....again - very remote.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-25-2013, 01:03 PM

265 posts, read 534,615 times
There is also the possibility that the relay and/or thermistor that turns on or off the fan has failed or occasionally fails.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:25 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,358 times
I haven't had any overheating problems, especially during Summer. Right around Memorial Day Weekend, I make it a point to flush out and replace the coolant and to change the transmission fluid. I can't say the same for the battery. Our summers are brutally hot and I can't go more that three years before I have to replace a dead battery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio