Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:48 PM

436 posts, read 1,613,529 times

Advertisements

we may be moving to SA and I have been looking at neighborhoods. seems like a lot of Stonewall Ranch is for sale. Is there a problem up there (bad foundations, bad builders, crime, etc.) or are they just the victim of a lot of bad lending/mortgages? Would it be a good neighborhood to move into?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 06:52 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
not sure why there is so much for sale in that neighborhood, but that is a great area ... we are moving a couple exits up the road ...

that area is in the Northside District and those schools are great (imo) and the area is not a high crime area

there are great views of the hills out there without being in the heart of the hill country --- with that area you are also very close to great shopping in san antonio or you can drive 5-10 mins in the opposite direction and be in boerne, a much smaller city setting ---

hope that helps a little...

Old 06-05-2008, 09:06 PM

330 posts, read 1,372,354 times
I'm not sure why they have so many homes for sale, but I'm next door in Stonewall Estates and jog through Stonewall Ranch fairly often. It's a nice looking neighborhood, and I'm not aware of any problems at all. Building was done by Highland Homes and Newmark Homes, and to my knowledge neither builder has had any issues with poor construction.

Here's a link to their HOA site for a little more info: Stonewall Ranch HOA

Old 06-06-2008, 07:54 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,424,653 times
It's a nice neighborhood. I've worked with several clients in there. The reason there seems to be so much for sale is because it's still relatively new. Resales are pretty cyclical, with people moving every 5 years or so. When you have a new subdivision, and a lot of people move in at the same time, when the first wave of resales come up, it seems like a lot start moving out at the same time. Over time, the resales space out and it normalizes. No worries on the neighborhood though. When they have the overpasses done on 10 in that area, the traffic issues should dissipate too.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:01 AM

134 posts, read 502,853 times
It's a beautiful area! I could see the mortgages being a problem too, people overestending themselves to be in a nicer home. When we looked at existing houses b4 deciding to build I was amazed at the houses over $300k & people had just the junkiest furniture it them or hardly anything at all it was very obvious they were housepoor. That is ok too, but I'd rather have a smaller house & be able to afford nice things too!!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:27 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejf1mom View Post
It's a beautiful area! I could see the mortgages being a problem too, people overestending themselves to be in a nicer home. When we looked at existing houses b4 deciding to build I was amazed at the houses over $300k & people had just the junkiest furniture it them or hardly anything at all it was very obvious they were housepoor. That is ok too, but I'd rather have a smaller house & be able to afford nice things too!!
I have noticed this as well. I think it's a shame to have such a nice house, but not be able to accent the beauty with nice furniture or decor. I'm REALLY not a snob, though I firmly believe that it's best to live within your means. It doesn't take a lot of money to dress up your home...I've done it seriously cheap!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:03 AM

134 posts, read 502,853 times
I love the new Home Goods store & buy lots to decorate from Tuesday Mornings. We are redecorating most of the new house & it's exciting. I don't remember who mentioned Roomstore b4, but we went there & they had lots of stuff we liked & had 3 years no interest!!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:20 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejf1mom View Post
I love the new Home Goods store & buy lots to decorate from Tuesday Mornings. We are redecorating most of the new house & it's exciting. I don't remember who mentioned Roomstore b4, but we went there & they had lots of stuff we liked & had 3 years no interest!!!!
I LOVE Home Goods and Tuesday Morning. We just bought a home in December and I'm doing the decorating slowly but surely. I'm one of those people who needs to find the PERFECT thing that I'm looking for or I'm not happy. Or, if you are a bit crafty, try Hobby Lobby too. There's tons of cute things in there. I wish I could be a professional home stager when people are trying to sell their homes. I love doing that type of thing. I almost went to school as an interior designer...but...chose a different path!

I have a feeling we are going to get bashed for not "staying on topic".

Old 06-06-2008, 09:43 AM

436 posts, read 1,613,529 times
thanks for all the replies.

for those of you who live in the area, but not in stonewall ranch, where do you live? and if you had your pick of communities on i-10, which one would you live in (price range $300-$350)? and it seems like some homes have city taxes, some not... it is likely those without city taxes will have them in the next 1-3 years?

thanks for all the advice- you guys are great!

Old 06-06-2008, 01:28 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
we are moving into the lost creek subdivision --- the summit of lost creek to be exact --- the heights of lost creek are their highend homes there, but still under your target price range --- our area is not in the san antonio limits, so we will not be paying city taxes, atleast not yet ---

if i am correct, i believe that if an area is going to be annexed there is usually a 3yr warning, so people can prepare financially --- this is just what i have heard, it may not be 100% accurate info

there are other areas that are nice going out towards boerne on 1-10 --- off boerne stage road there is a subdivision called Country Bend --- HUGE lots, apx 1 acre or more --- actually you take boerne stage rd exit, take a left (under the highway) go straight thru the light until you reach the first stop sign, there are some stables at the stop sign, take a rt at the stop sign and Country Bend is on the right --- that is Boerne address and Boerne school district, great district ---

personally, i much prefer the i-10/1604 area rather than the 281/1604 --- not as much traffic, and if there is traffic it is more during certain hours, rather than all the time like the 281 area --- also the i/10 area seems more hill country to me --- again, this is all just my opinion --- there are many people on the board that love the 281/1604/stone oak area, and it is a very pretty area, i just don't care for the traffic and the sea of rooftops you can see in that area ---

good luck in your decision!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio