Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 06:50 AM

16 posts, read 55,090 times

Advertisements

I know the Castroville part probably seems strange but we are a homeschool family wanting to be part of a group that meets there. My husband is looking at work at UTSA health science. If we move there, I would like to find a place that's good for families, with mature trees and a big yard, under 200K, within a half hour drive to both. We might be looking to rent for a while rather than buy depending on prices. We own a home in another state and rent it out so I don't know if we can qualify to buy as long as we still owe on it. I would kind of like a place where the kids could ride bikes safely and maybe even have a few chickens in the backyard, but I don't want a mobile home. Am I asking the impossible? I am not familiar with the area. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 07:59 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
A good happy medium for the commute would probably be within the 151 to Highway 16 (Bandera) area between 410 and 1604 (and maybe a bit out of 1604). Look into Helotes (the closest to UTHSCSA), Alamo Ranch, Westover Hills, Redbird Ranch and anything along Potranco, Culebra or Bandera outside of 1604. I am not sure if you will find an area where you can have chickens and animals but the safe area for you kids within that budget is possible. Also check this: http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...etro-info.html

Old 11-21-2013, 10:52 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,707 times
Just FYI, UTSA and UTHSCSA are completely different campuses and completely different universities. They both happen to be in San Antonio and part of UT System but they are separate entities.

Good luck with the job search and potential move!

Old 11-21-2013, 03:20 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
There are a ton of homeschool groups in San Antonio. You may not even know if you will be a good fit with a particular group until you've met them in person. You should live close to your husband's job because he'll be making that trip twice a day, and you'll probably get together with the homeschool group once a week.

Helotes is a good choice.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:24 PM

520 posts, read 781,917 times
I live in Highpoint in Westcreek, right off Talley & Potranco. About 20-25 minutes from I-10 & 410W (near UTHSCSA) at 6:00am, 30-35 minutes at 4:00pm. Less than 20 minutes to Castroville.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:07 PM

16 posts, read 55,090 times
Thanks so much. We have 6 kids so we will need something close to 2000 sq ft or larger. We will probably rent for a while at first, looking for something in the $1200-1400 range. Does anyone have an opinion on the Northwest Crossing area? I have heard that might also be a good place to look, in addition to Westcreek, Alamo Ranch, and the others mentioned. I'm a little confused looking at the map - it looks like Helotes is farther away from UTHSCSA than the other areas? Do you think it would be within a 30 minute drive? How much worse is traffic if you leave at 7 am rather than 6? Thanks again!

Old 11-24-2013, 04:44 PM

520 posts, read 781,917 times
It's been about a year since I've had to drive in at 7am. Traffic really starts building around 6:30 northbound on 410W until it becomes stop and go from 90 to I-10. Not sure when it starts to clear up, but I know that between 7:30 & 8 it was pretty bad.

Sorry don't know about Northwest Crossing, we pay $1350/mo. rent for a single story 3bd/2ba 1800sqft in Westcreek.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:36 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educatingmommy View Post
I know the Castroville part probably seems strange but we are a homeschool family wanting to be part of a group that meets there. My husband is looking at work at UTSA health science. If we move there, I would like to find a place that's good for families, with mature trees and a big yard, under 200K, within a half hour drive to both. We might be looking to rent for a while rather than buy depending on prices. We own a home in another state and rent it out so I don't know if we can qualify to buy as long as we still owe on it. I would kind of like a place where the kids could ride bikes safely and maybe even have a few chickens in the backyard, but I don't want a mobile home. Am I asking the impossible? I am not familiar with the area. Thank you!
You can live in Castroville and make it to UTHSC in 30 minutes,a s long as you don't get into the worst of the morning traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio