Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:48 PM

175 posts, read 406,090 times

Advertisements

Some of us are planning a decent birthday party (noooo-you aren't invited!), and wanted to get a good cake-or maybe even just cupcakes.
We got some from several different stores-a cupcake place on Huebner, HEB, another cake place by Wurzbach and Sams store. Without a doubt- everyone agreed- one cupcake place was Grest-the cake store was the worst-dried out, horrid frosting. Heb was good.....but who would have thought how WONDERFUL the Sam's store ordered cake was!!
Don't even bother to go anywhere else! (No-nobody here works there). It was by far the best cake-
Besides the cake itself, the price was very reasonable. The 'good' cupcake store was expensive. The 'bad' cake
Store was $3.50 for a very small dried out cupcake. HEB was 'ok', but a little more than Sam's.
The Sam's was out of this world and not nearly as expensive as the cake stores.
If you are planning an important party that needs a cake don't bother looking anywhere else!....I can't believe it was so good I am writing about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 05:39 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,840 times
I guess Sam's has different cakes than Walmart because Walmart's cakes are gross along with everything else in their bakery.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:26 AM

863 posts, read 866,182 times
The cakes from Sam's and Walmart are the same. If you don't like one you wont like the other. I happen to think they're quite good and very consistent. I've rarely had better from expensive bakeries.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:19 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,345,657 times
I had a cake fromSam's and HEB at a party. They were both decent cakes and the price was similar. You can even order the cake online form Sam's or HEB.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:15 AM

19 posts, read 32,800 times
Out of curiosity, was the cake store with the dry cupcake the place in the Colonnade? I ask because I had a similar issue when I purchased a birthday cake with them. Dry, stale, with the icing falling right off the side of the cake. It was absolutely terrible.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:19 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,551 times
I generally do Costco cakes, but I'll be sure and try out Sam's next time.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:07 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,511 times
I absolutely love the HUGH red velvet with cream cheese icing cupcakes from Costco, but unfortunately my waistline doesn't.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:42 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
The thing about cupcakes is that they're best the day they're made. The smaller cake places may not sell enough to have their cupcakes really fresh (of course, they should toss them at the end of the day if they haven't sold, but a lot don't). If you put them in an airtight container, it can make the frosting get weird from the humidity in the container, the moisture coming out of the cake.

I don't like Walmart's cupcakes because they have a certain chemical smell and taste but I haven't tried Sam's. I know I've seen the same buckets of Butt-R-Creme (no kidding) frosting at both places, so I assumed they'd taste the same.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:40 AM

863 posts, read 866,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergal View Post
I absolutely love the HUGH red velvet with cream cheese icing cupcakes from Costco, but unfortunately my waistline doesn't.
The Costco red velvet cakes are great.

Any cake really should be eaten the same day it's made. I can't imagine those fancy themed cakes shown on the cable tv shows being very good to eat (cool looking though).

Old 12-12-2013, 07:50 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,774,133 times
"The Exclusive Cake Shop" on Bandera road makes really good cakes but the frosting is a bit too much on the sweet side for some people. At least with frosting, you can always take some off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio