Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 11:42 AM

12,994 posts, read 18,865,402 times

Advertisements

A mayor is concerned with the people he serves. When he calls it the nation's seventh largest city, he probably is speaking in terms of what's on City Hall's plate as far as how many people he and the council must responsibly provide services for, not in terms of how impressive the size of the city is compared to New York or to the second through the sixth largest city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:14 AM

702 posts, read 728,494 times
I'm going to PM the OP next time I have to go to Austin. The last time I had to drop someone off and wait for them while they were at a concert I could not find _anything_ to do. We ended up eating some korean food, going to the weird museum and drinking in a vacant college bar until time was up. The best part was walking past the greyhound station which was reminiscent of a hornet's nest getting swarmed by homeless people.

I always get the feeling that folks who say Austin has so much more to do than San Anto know of an entirely different part of Austin or are seriously hallucinating. I'm 50/50 at this point.

I rarely go downtown SA, though. There is either nowhere to park, or it costs $20. Anything I would want to go to exists elsewhere in town. You can't even enjoy drinking heavily because you'd have to drive back out of downtown and taxis cost too much to get down there. I don't think any amount of beautiful skyscrapers would improve that. I'm content to tool over to an alamo drafthouse or flying saucer or pearl/museum reach or whatever else rather than struggle to park downtown.

MAYBE if we had BART-like transit that fed through downtown directly I'd be more inclined to visit.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,573,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post

I rarely go downtown SA, though. There is either nowhere to park, or it costs $20. Anything I would want to go to exists elsewhere in town. You can't even enjoy drinking heavily because you'd have to drive back out of downtown and taxis cost too much to get down there. I don't think any amount of beautiful skyscrapers would improve that. I'm content to tool over to an alamo drafthouse or flying saucer or pearl/museum reach or whatever else rather than struggle to park downtown.
One of the joys of living within walking distance to downtown or amidst all the great places in Southtown. No worries about driving/parking ;-)

But, that's also why I rarely go to the outer burbs to hang out. Who wants to drive when you can just walk everywhere?

Quote:
MAYBE if we had BART-like transit that fed through downtown directly I'd be more inclined to visit.
I'm with you there. Better transit is always a good thing.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:37 PM

336 posts, read 484,984 times
Quote:
I'm fine with all of these misnomers, as it keeps my favorite hoods (Downtown, Southtown, King William, Lavaca) free of too many folks

Old 03-25-2014, 03:39 PM

358 posts, read 579,370 times
Quote:
I always get the feeling that folks who say Austin has so much more to do than San Anto know of an entirely different part of Austin or are seriously hallucinating. I'm 50/50 at this point.
I've never "gotten" Austin. IMO, any city that touts "Keep Us Weird" has a complex. Forced weirdness reminds me of forced nonchalance. Does it exist?

San Antonio is quirky but we don't go around printing bumper stickers and saying we are.

And, Austin is still one of the most racially segregated large cities in the USA. Go figure.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 PM

336 posts, read 484,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamigo View Post
I've never "gotten" Austin. IMO, any city that touts "Keep Us Weird" has a complex. Forced weirdness reminds me of forced nonchalance. Does it exist?

San Antonio is quirky but we don't go around printing bumper stickers and saying we are.

And, Austin is still one of the most racially segregated large cities in the USA. Go figure.

To understand Austin, you have to have experienced it when it was indeed 'weird.'

It's been awhile and Austin has been trying ever since to convince people they aren't just another mainstream, chain-driven, Southern California-lite wannabe. From what I've seen over the last 10 years, they're not doing a very good impression of what they once were.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:17 AM

20 posts, read 36,506 times
First, get rid of the bikini rule!!!!

Old 04-03-2014, 02:04 PM

67 posts, read 127,256 times
There are a lot of people here who don't understand Austin or San Antonio. What San Antonio needs is investment in its core that brings people that live there, not tourists. SA does not need more hotels, it needs apartments, condos, grocery stores, and pharmacies. It needs the things that people need every day to live there. As someone who lives in Austin, I love visiting SA. Every time I go downtown though, I can't help but think how much potential it has and what it could become with a little TLC. There are so many historic buildings downtown, but what is a historic building if it is underused or vacant. SA doesn't need tall skyscrapers or anything so much as it needs more of its people downtown living and working there. Downtown should be for the people of the city first and foremost. When that day happens, SA will have a downtown that will be the envy of many cities.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:32 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,336,049 times
Had to go to a Riverwalk hotel for a business meeting. Outside of the walk, the area is pretty grim. The old buildings are slum like in many areas. One might argue for an effort to plant trees or something.

Unless there is a reason to live there, I can't see it at present.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:17 AM

424 posts, read 611,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Had to go to a Riverwalk hotel for a business meeting. Outside of the walk, the area is pretty grim. The old buildings are slum like in many areas. One might argue for an effort to plant trees or something.

Unless there is a reason to live there, I can't see it at present.
What hotel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio