Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 PM

336 posts, read 484,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Had to go to a Riverwalk hotel for a business meeting. Outside of the walk, the area is pretty grim. The old buildings are slum like in many areas. One might argue for an effort to plant trees or something.

Unless there is a reason to live there, I can't see it at present.
You honestly have no clue as to what you're talking about.

You don't name the hotel, you say 'outside the walk' which really isn't anywhere downtown as the Riverwalk runs all through the city and then you top it off by saying slum as if you've ever actually spent time in Gary, Indiana. That sir has slum. Serious slum.

Calling downtown San Antonio a 'slum' is just uninformed suburbanite-fear, garbage talk

Last edited by staunchcharacter; 04-04-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 01:59 PM

424 posts, read 610,818 times
It's very suspicious they don't name the hotel and have even yet to answer me asking the question about which hotel it was.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 PM

201 posts, read 280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
It's very suspicious they don't name the hotel and have even yet to answer me asking the question about which hotel it was.
I can't even begin to imagine what hotel (s)he is talking about. The lack of response is probably due to fear of a barrage of place-putting comments.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:58 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,974,954 times
Quote:
Had to go to a Riverwalk hotel for a business meeting. Outside of the walk, the area is pretty grim. The old buildings are slum like in many areas. One might argue for an effort to plant trees or something.

Unless there is a reason to live there, I can't see it at present.
Odd. I guess enjoy your suburban views of parking lots and your neighbors roof.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:14 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,568,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
I can't even begin to imagine what hotel (s)he is talking about. The lack of response is probably due to fear of a barrage of place-putting comments.
To be fair, there are parts of downtown, at street level, that look pretty awful. It's gotten better, but still far too many vacant buildings. For example Ghost Buildings Haunt San Antonio's Decade of Downtown

I disagree that there's no reason to be there - there is a vibrant culture downtown, but no, it's not all gleaming, new and pristine. It's still gritty in parts. So if you're not familiar with it, or are nervous about something different, you won't like it.

There has, though, been a huge investment in tree planting throughout downtown, so that point is not valid, and Travis Park has just been re-done.

Downtown still has a long way to go, but it's moving forward.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:58 PM

437 posts, read 639,987 times
I came across this video on youtube that to me, shows how beautiful and safe downtown is at night. things can improve but this thread sort of makes it sound like there is nothing to like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha19xA0T6DI

Old 04-04-2014, 04:02 PM

201 posts, read 280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
To be fair, there are parts of downtown, at street level, that look pretty awful.
Sure but I bet you can find this in any city's downtown.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:02 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,568,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
Sure but I bet you can find this in any city's downtown.
Definitely, but I think it's important to be honest about the reality. I'm downtown's biggest cheerleader, but it's ok to admit it's problems too. I don't want it to look like Austin, I don't feel the need for shiny skyscrapers, but we still have a lot of work to do to make the most of the Decade of Downtown.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:40 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,334,141 times
Oh, I'm supposed to check in and jump for you. Give me a break. Drive down Broadway and Loyosa and three blocks from the hotels, it looks like crap. Sorry if you don't like it.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:35 AM

424 posts, read 610,818 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm supposed to check in and jump for you. Give me a break. Drive down Broadway and Loyosa and three blocks from the hotels, it looks like crap. Sorry if you don't like it.
You think telling us what hotel you're referring to is "jumping" for us? Wow, that's priceless.

I don't like a lot of things. Someone making a baseless claim then getting overly offended for no real rational reason at all, is not something I register enough thought to dislike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio