Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:57 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times

Advertisements

Does the identiy of the hotel change the physical characteristics of the downtown area in parts? If it were a Hyalt or Mariott, does reality warp around it? The claim is not baseless - significant parts of the downtown area within close proxmity of core hotels look crappy.

That's the issue. Continue your tantrum.

PS - the appeal of San Antonio for the most part is reasonable housing prices in nice neighborhoods. If you hate burbs, that's your problem. Living a pseudo-hipster attempt to recreate Manhattan isn't what the city is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 AM

330 posts, read 587,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Does the identiy of the hotel change the physical characteristics of the downtown area in parts? If it were a Hyalt or Mariott, does reality warp around it? The claim is not baseless - significant parts of the downtown area within close proxmity of core hotels look crappy.

PS - the appeal of San Antonio for the most part is reasonable housing prices in nice neighborhoods. If you hate burbs, that's your problem. Living a pseudo-hipster attempt to recreate Manhattan isn't what the city is about.
Regarding your PS...
That's what appeals to you, and that's fine. What appeals to me is the historic urban core. This is where I'm connected, not out there. You seem to feel like that's not legitimate, as if to be a true San Antonian, you have to embrace the suburbs...but I think that's silly. My ancestors lived down here. That's real San Antonio to me. So if someone, native or not, wants to live centrally, that's not them trying to recreate Manhattan. We want to restore the inner city to the functional, livable place it once was.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 PM

915 posts, read 1,904,512 times
Just because a building is old does not make it historically significant. That is a concept HDRC struggles with downtown. There are a great # of buildings that remain empty downtown. Owners are just sitting on their vacant eyesore buildings in hopes of a future big payday. The downtown core could be improved significantly and that in no way conflicts with the interest of the suburbanites. A vibrant core would attract more businesses and more educated workers. Those 2 feed off each other.

Nobody is trying to recreate Manhattan, but are rather fighting for SA's core to reach its potential. Downtown SA could be an exciting place that has plenty of foot traffic and is not dominated by the likes of Hard Rock Cafe and Rainforest Cafe. San Antonio could have its own flavor.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:16 PM

424 posts, read 610,042 times
Quote:

So you're not going to reveal the hotel? You're fine with everyone believing what you claimed was a lie? That in turn makes you a liar in their eyes? Your opinion is now worthless, in their eyes. You are fine with that?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,919 times
Quote:

This is funny. No hipsters even live in Manhattan anymore. They migrated to Brooklyn long ago, and they'll probably migrate somewhere else, fairly soon.

People live in the urban core for the history, the density, the culture (from old conjunto bars to brand new fancy restaurants), and the layout and architecture of the main neighborhoods. Incidentally, those suburban "nice neighborhoods," mainly far north of the city center (and even 1604), are the few districts that vote Republican fairly reliably. Many of us choose to stay away from them, feeling that the culture and attitudes there are not representative of our own.

I laugh when people claim that San Antonio is cowboy country or a discount version of Orange County. The great majority of this city resembles neither of those.

Absolutely nothing I wrote about refers to a "pseudo-hipster attempt to recreate Manhattan." That said, I do like my indie rock, vegetarian food, and tattooed friends, and most of "those" and "them" can be found around the urban core. Hell, I barely ever get in a car to visit my favorite locales. Feet and pedals are all I need, with an occasional bus or taxi ride thrown in.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Hell, I barely ever get in a car to visit my favorite locales. Feet and pedals are all I need, with an occasional bus or taxi ride thrown in.
but is it a fixie? ;-)

Old 04-09-2014, 11:50 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
This is funny. No hipsters even live in Manhattan anymore. They migrated to Brooklyn long ago, and they'll probably migrate somewhere else, fairly soon.
Lol.

Quote:
People live in the urban core for the history, the density, the culture (from old conjunto bars to brand new fancy restaurants), and the layout and architecture of the main neighborhoods. Incidentally, those suburban "nice neighborhoods," mainly far north of the city center (and even 1604), are the few districts that vote Republican fairly reliably. Many of us choose to stay away from them, feeling that the culture and attitudes there are not representative of our own.
What does politics have to do with it?

Quote:
I laugh when people claim that San Antonio is cowboy country or a discount version of Orange County. The great majority of this city resembles neither of those.
San Antonio still has a large and thriving cowboy culture.

Quote:
Absolutely nothing I wrote about refers to a "pseudo-hipster attempt to recreate Manhattan." That said, I do like my indie rock, vegetarian food, and tattooed friends, and most of "those" and "them" can be found around the urban core. Hell, I barely ever get in a car to visit my favorite locales. Feet and pedals are all I need, with an occasional bus or taxi ride thrown in.
Many of "those" and "them" people live out in the "republican far north land" that you seem to not like. Judging by the population of downtown I bet more of "them" people are up there.

I'm not sure why this subject is controversial. What happened to the live let live mindset???

Old 04-09-2014, 12:18 PM

424 posts, read 610,042 times
This thread....

Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
This thread....
You were not exactly the model poster of this thread either.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:12 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Lol.

What does politics have to do with it?

San Antonio still has a large and thriving cowboy culture.

Many of "those" and "them" people live out in the "republican far north land" that you seem to not like. Judging by the population of downtown I bet more of "them" people are up there.

I'm not sure why this subject is controversial. What happened to the live let live mindset???
San Antonio makes list of Most Country Cities | Home - News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio