Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 11:04 AM

501 posts, read 776,237 times

Advertisements

Ran into this on Aviation-Safety.net and was wondering if any old-timers here can shed light on events surrounding this January 1967 Saturn Airways DC-6 crash. Was mostly curious about the actual location where this occurred:
ASN Aircraft accident Douglas DC-6A N640NA San Antonio International Airport, TX (SAT)

Departure airport:?Destination airport:San Antonio-Kelly AFB, TX (SKF/KSKF), United States of AmericaNarrative:
The Saturn DC-6 was operating on a cargo flight to Kelly AFB. The crew decided to divert to civilian international airport at San Antonio and commenced the approach. The airplane descended 1100 feet below the glide slope, flew through trees and collided with a cliff.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 12:35 PM

894 posts, read 1,546,167 times
On another forum it says near the intersection of Blanco and Cadillac Drive.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:26 PM

Thanks, guessing that a lot of the current housing over that approach path didn't exist in '67. The NTSB file on the crash would provide detail, but can't find it on the web.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:16 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,945 times
Default Planecrash Already Discussed Previously here,

This 1967 crash was thoroughly scrutinized here a couple years ago. Including pictures, newspaper clippings, eyewitness accounts, location, etc.

My brother had just finished fueling that cargocraft that took off from Kelly Field in 1986 when it crashed. He worked for Southern Air very briefly after exiting the Air Force back then. He was Assist. Crew Chief on a C-130.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
Thanks, guessing that a lot of the current housing over that approach path didn't exist in '67. The NTSB file on the crash would provide detail, but can't find it on the web.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
This 1967 crash was thoroughly scrutinized here a couple years ago. Including pictures, newspaper clippings, eyewitness accounts, location, etc.

My brother had just finished fueling that cargocraft that took off from Kelly Field in 1986 when it crashed. He worked for Southern Air very briefly after exiting the Air Force back then. He was Assist. Crew Chief on a C-130.
I recall seeing something about a plane crash on the GBNF thread but recall that being a military flight, most likely the Southern Air C-130 that you reference ASN Aircraft accident Lockheed L-100-30 Hercules N15ST San Antonio-Kelly AFB, TX (SKF) .
Saturn Airways 1967 crash is a different event.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:38 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
Confused...there was a trainer jet that crashed off of 36th street on its final approach into Kelly Field in the late 60's, with pilot and copilot onboard and several folks on the ground in a house it barreled into killed, but I don't remember a larger C-130 crash, and I grew up with the Kelly flight line in my backyard...literally. (Jamar Village, on Imperial Drive, which is up against the fence to Kelly). The small, trainer crash was in the evening, remember it hit one of the high electrical A-frame towers and crashed.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:37 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,945 times
Default Correct,

Yes, Those were two different events, the crashes in 67' and 86' GTOman. Now that I think harder on it...
I think you are very right, the craft brother had fueled up crashed outside of the Base. Very difficult to remember. Stirred up some memories ...
Three generations of my family have been aircraft mechanics. With the exception of myself.
I do remember well however,that my brother did work for Southern Air. Also at International. I remember he also recounted seeing the Elder Bush when he was Pres. and came here , walking through after landing to visit the wounded from the ( Panamanian? ) invasion at Wilford Hall ? Maybe it was around Nineteen and ninety then ?

I remember I used to go to Kelly Field and visit my brother at the hangar just to watch the many different craft coming in. Taking my two , then little, sons along. One time a small short winged white aircraft came in and taxied up to the hangar and a guy disembarked in what looked like a space suit.
" Who is this ?" I asked my brother. "He flies at very high altitudes and is photographing
the shrinkage of the South American rain forests from above." So the space suit.
I also saw some very, very fancy private jets at international. I was astonished at the wealth that must have been involved in such an investment as what I saw on the inside of those small jets.

As I entered earlier today though, there has already been a discussion here on the Forum on the older crash you asked about. It was a smaller plane and it was some time ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
I recall seeing something about a plane crash on the GBNF thread but recall that being a military flight, most likely the Southern Air C-130 that you reference ASN Aircraft accident Lockheed L-100-30 Hercules N15ST San Antonio-Kelly AFB, TX (SKF) .
Saturn Airways 1967 crash is a different event.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,662 times
Default Question about brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post

I realize that this is going to sound odd, however......
My Father was the Flight Engineer on N15ST. I was wondering if the was some way that you could pass my contact information on to your brother? He most likely was the last person to see my father alive. I had not seem him for sometime before the accident, I would like to ask what he might remember.....
Thank you in advance for any help you may offer....

Old 01-27-2015, 08:24 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,333,578 times
My family (older brothers & sisters and such) lived down the street from Kelly and they said that when the plane crashed, the city sirens went off. I would imagine that was pretty scary.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:53 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Confused...there was a trainer jet that crashed off of 36th street on its final approach into Kelly Field in the late 60's, with pilot and copilot onboard and several folks on the ground in a house it barreled into killed, but I don't remember a larger C-130 crash, and I grew up with the Kelly flight line in my backyard...literally. (Jamar Village, on Imperial Drive, which is up against the fence to Kelly). The small, trainer crash was in the evening, remember it hit one of the high electrical A-frame towers and crashed.
I remember this one. I visited the site I guess the next day or so afterwards. 2 Houses gone and 4 dead. 2 pilots & 2 civilians.

San Antonio, TX Navy Jet Trainer Crash, Jun 1970 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods

Military jet crashed into quiet S.A. neighborhood in 1970 - San Antonio Express-News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio