Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times

Advertisements

Ok, so here's the deal. I'm in the process of selling one of my properties and have a buyer. The buyer hired an inspector which I have no issue with at all. During the inspection, the inspector stopped up the drain in our upstairs shower and allowed the pan to fill then unstopped the drain to let the water out and water gushed out of the ceiling in my downstairs pantry. Now this is all being told to me by my realtor and I do not think she actually witnessed exactly what the inspector did. Anyway, of course we freaked when we heard this. The upstairs bath was remodeled a few years ago and we've had zero issues with any leaks what so ever. A few months ago another inspector also looked at the house and there were no issues. We went to check it out and after running the water in the shower for 30 minutes to include stopping up the drain like the inspector supposedly did, there was no leak what so ever. We even cut out the sheetrock in the ceiling downstairs and inspected all of the plumbing for the upstairs shower and there was no indication of a leak. If there was a leak, we'd absolutely fix it but we can't find it anywhere and we have no idea how the inspector made the leak happen. This is so weird!!! Can anyone tell me how the inspector made it leak and we can't? We want to fix whatever is wrong but we are totally stumped. Is there a way to "force" a leak like this? Thanks for any help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 07:25 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Question may be better answered in the "House" forum

Old 03-22-2014, 09:32 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Probabilities are high the inspector turned the water on in the shower and went off checking other things while the drain pan filled. He took too long and the pan over filled and it went over the top of the pan. Unfortunately, this is why I have a low regard for home inspectors. Many are absolutely clueless. Many have no clue how to build a dog house yet they are inspecting your home.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Probabilities are high the inspector turned the water on in the shower and went off checking other things while the drain pan filled. He took too long and the pan over filled and it went over the top of the pan. Unfortunately, this is why I have a low regard for home inspectors. Many are absolutely clueless. Many have no clue how to build a dog house yet they are inspecting your home.
Talk to me Trapper, I value your opinion based upon past experience with your posts. Like don't understand he th inspector was able to make the leak yet w can't seem to duplicate it

Old 03-22-2014, 12:48 PM

Sorry for the typos. Old lady on iPhone

Old 03-22-2014, 01:21 PM

952 posts, read 2,634,576 times
are you allowed to be present with the home inspector from the buyers choice? just so you can witness and take your own notes down? video or take pics if you have to?

Old 03-22-2014, 03:04 PM

When an inspector checks a shower pan, he either will pull the strainer in the bottom of the pan and use a plumbers ball or use a vinyl cover that keeps the water in the pan. He turns on the water to fill the pan. If you put too much water in the pan it flows over the top of the pan. The pan is only about 5" tall. Tile goes over the the edge of the pan usually or if it's a plastic enclosure, it just fits over the pan. It's my bet he over filled the pan and the water ran over it.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, let an inspector in your home to do an inspection without you being there. Most normally it's not the buyers inspector but the realtors inspector. Most folks wouldn't know an inspector and very few have a clue who a good inspector is. So most normally the realtor suggests the inspector that he uses most often. NOTE!!!! These guys are usually known for NOT breaking up a deal. If you are a good inspector and find issues that costs the realtor his commission, the realtor most likely is not going to use that inspector again. TREC says that the realtor is supposed to give the buyer a list of local inspectors to chose from- it rarely happens. If the inspector says they want nobody at home at time of inspection,tell the realtor to get somebody else. You are not required to let someone you have no clue about into your home. While the licensing is HIGHLY questionable, are they insured if something disappears? What if they claim they got hurt inspecting your home- who's to say differently? What if they accidently set fire to the house...yes, it has happened, who is liable and whose insurance is paying? What if you come home only to find the house flooded from a broken toilet valve- yes, it's happened, who fault is it? NEVER leave during an inspection.

Here's a typical acrylic shower pan. Most are made like this regardless of materials. Note the lip on the pan. The tile or plastic surround will fit over this lip.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:32 PM

232 posts, read 379,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
When an inspector checks a shower pan, he either will pull the strainer in the bottom of the pan and use a plumbers ball or use a vinyl cover that keeps the water in the pan. He turns on the water to fill the pan. If you put too much water in the pan it flows over the top of the pan. The pan is only about 5" tall. Tile goes over the the edge of the pan usually or if it's a plastic enclosure, it just fits over the pan. It's my bet he over filled the pan and the water ran over it.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, let an inspector in your home to do an inspection without you being there. Most normally it's not the buyers inspector but the realtors inspector. Most folks wouldn't know an inspector and very few have a clue who a good inspector is. So most normally the realtor suggests the inspector that he uses most often. NOTE!!!! These guys are usually known for NOT breaking up a deal. If you are a good inspector and find issues that costs the realtor his commission, the realtor most likely is not going to use that inspector again. TREC says that the realtor is supposed to give the buyer a list of local inspectors to chose from- it rarely happens. If the inspector says they want nobody at home at time of inspection,tell the realtor to get somebody else. You are not required to let someone you have no clue about into your home. While the licensing is HIGHLY questionable, are they insured if something disappears? What if they claim they got hurt inspecting your home- who's to say differently? What if they accidently set fire to the house...yes, it has happened, who is liable and whose insurance is paying? What if you come home only to find the house flooded from a broken toilet valve- yes, it's happened, who fault is it? NEVER leave during an inspection.

Here's a typical acrylic shower pan. Most are made like this regardless of materials. Note the lip on the pan. The tile or plastic surround will fit over this lip.

I am going to disagree with several points in this post.

1. Home inspectors are not allowed to remove any plumbing parts. They either use an old fashion rubber pad to cover the drain or, believe it or not because I have seen it on several occasions, place a piece of paper over the drain. Code is a 6", not 5" on the riser but I agree that he could have forgotten the water was running and ran it over because I have seen that in the past.

2. It is against the law for the agent to hire or recommend a single inspector. A list of several can be provided but the realtor never, and I mean never, hires the inspector. It is either the buyer or the acceptance of a previous inspection.

3. Most tile layers never use a prefab pan. They will build theirs using mortar over a polyethylene liner. I will agree never let an inspector in your house without being present. Every house I have sold, I videoed the entire inspection.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:40 PM

Rick yer certainly welcome to disagree all ya want. But it doesn't change facts. I can only assume you are not familiar with Jack F. Jack is responsible for teaching probably 90% of all home inspectors in San Antonio at SAC. He taught the required classroom hours for years as well as the CEHs. Part of his classes had the students going out to actually do inspections on Saturdays. Jack will use a plumbers ball on any shower pan and yes, he does remove the strainer. Would you like to guess what all of his students use?

While TREC says the agent is suppose to give the buyer a list of inspectors, rarely does it happen. They use the guys that will not jeopardize their sale. Unfortunately my sister is married into a swarm of Home Inspectors- 5 of them to be exact and all of their business comes from realtors, not buyers. All of these guys are closing near $100,000.00 in sales per year....and not a one of them can build a doghouse.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:01 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
TREC - Inspector Main Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio