Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 AM

437 posts, read 639,026 times

Advertisements

you would think SA woulda got Aldi before Trader Joe's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
IME, Aldi's in the US is a very different type of store than Aldi's in Europe. The US version is more akin to a Family Dollar, but predominantly groceries (i.e. no toys, clothes, pharmaceuticals, cleaners etc).

In Europe (in Germany and the UK, I'm not sure I've been to others), it's more similar to a Trader Joe's.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:51 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Trader Joe's is NOT owned by the ALDI we have in America.

Yes, it is.

From this link.

Quote:
Internationally, ALDI Nord operates in Denmark, France, the Benelux countries, the Iberian peninsula, and Poland, while ALDI Süd operates in Ireland, the United Kingdom, Hungary, Switzerland, Australia, Austria, and Slovenia (ALDI Süd operates as Hofer within the latter two countries mentioned). Both ALDI Nord and Aldi Süd also operate in the United States; Aldi Nord is owner of the Trader Joe's chain while Aldi Süd operates as Aldi.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
IME, Aldi's in the US is a very different type of store than Aldi's in Europe. The US version is more akin to a Family Dollar, but predominantly groceries (i.e. no toys, clothes, pharmaceuticals, cleaners etc).

In Europe (in Germany and the UK, I'm not sure I've been to others), it's more similar to a Trader Joe's.

The ALDI stores in the South and South West parts of the UK were very similar to those seen in most parts of the US. Discount, non name brand groceries. No other amenities. You even had to pay a deposit for a shopping trolley (cart) of 50p which was refunded when you returned the trolley.

On another note, UK shopping carts are a menace. The four wheel swivel design used by all major chains was a real PITA when crossing a steeply sloped car park. Constantly fighting the tendency of your cart to drift in the direction of the downward slope. The locals referred to them as "knee breakers."

Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
^^^ Your link backs up what sumboy posted...

Old 04-09-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
^^^ Your link backs up what sumboy posted...
How so? The same parent company, ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Compagnie, oHG, owns both chains, ALDI Nord, and ALDI Sud. One runs Trader Joe's (ALDI Nord), the other operates as ALDI (ALDI Sud) in the U.S. So, the same parent company operates both ALDI, and Trader Joe's.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
How so? The same parent company, ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Compagnie, oHG, owns both chains, ALDI Nord, and ALDI Sud. One runs Trader Joe's (ALDI Nord), the other operates as ALDI (ALDI Sud) in the U.S. So, the same parent company operates both ALDI, and Trader Joe's.
ALDI nord and ALDI sud have separate ownership. Nord is owned by one brother and operates completely differently than sud. I stand by my statement.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:48 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Not true.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/457094@N23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
ALDI nord and ALDI sud have separate ownership. Nord is owned by one brother and operates completely differently than sud. I stand by my statement.
Yes, they have separate ownership, but are from the same family.

The Brothers founded their discount-store empire together. A disagreement in 1960 over selling cigarettes hastened a partition, and an epic game of grocery-store Risk: Theo would rename his business Aldi Nord, and would control territories north of the Rhine, plus a healthy chunk of Europe. Karl would head up Aldi Süd, and get southern Germany, more of Europe, plus the U.K. and Ireland. But both companies operate stores in the United States—Aldi Süd operates as Aldi, and Aldi Nord as the now ubiquitous Trader Joe’s.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...der_joe_s.html

Old 04-09-2014, 11:17 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Great photos but the few US stores in the photos look like food items.
Maybe you can post just those photos that have non-food items in US stores? It's quite possible they've changed their format, as it's been a number of years since I've shopped in them regularly (I used to when I lived in the Midwest). When I used to shop at Aldi's regularly there were only food items. It was great for certain things, really cheap. I don't recall any toiletries or household products in the 4 years I shopped there, but it's been awhile now.

When I shopped at Aldi's in the UK, it was in the north, and I recall we were amazed at how different it was to the Midwest US stores - lots of wine, for starters, nicer foods, more variety - like Trader Joe's. In the Midwest stores the stuff was more like discounted foods/seconds. Saw the same (like TJ) in Germany when I visited, but I can't recall which cities.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:03 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Are Aldi's "fresh" items like the stuff one would get at Super Target and Walmart? Do their bakery products have that weird, chemical taste like the stuff at Walmart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio