Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 05:45 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times

Advertisements

The fire department provides and installs detectors at no charge for owners of single-family homes in San Antonio. If you need one, call the United Way at 211 Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., and press phone option 1 for local community services.

I just read this in the paper this morning and thought it was good info to pass on. Maybe you know someone who needs one! We just bought a new one, and a carbon monoxide detector for our house. Although dying in my sleep is how I want to go, I just don't want it to be soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:45 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,883,712 times
That reminds me. I put smoke detectors in all my rentals. When a new tenant moves in I put in a new detector and new batteries. It is in the lease that they are responsible to change the battery every 6 months with the time change. Half the time, when an apartment is vacated, I find the detector without a battery.
How do people live like that? I would be scared to death to go to sleep!!!!!
I'm now going to institute a policy of checking detectors in apartments every 6 months and if the detector is without a battery or has a dead battery for lack of changing it out, I will charge $25.00 to change the detector and make it operational.
Maybe some of you who have rentals may want to consider this.
I understand the city has the free ones and they are not getting the requests for them that they expected.
I fortunatly have never had the experience of needing one to function for a fire, but I would not be without the protection.....and it's free. Can't beat that with a stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio