Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,388 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to San Antonio. We're looking for new construction homes, and none of them seem to have basements. Is it typical of SA homes to not have basements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 08:12 PM

22 posts, read 109,185 times
In high school I had some friends in Olmos Park (an older area of SA) who had basements. Other than that I think you will be hard pressed to find any homes with basements. We have a hard rocky soil here and really no need for them! You will love SA though! Great city.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
The only basement around here are probably built in slope with some sort of limited ground access (ground floor). You won't find them in residential homes.

One house in Castle Hills (central northside) was rebuilt a few years ago and a basement was built underneath it. All I know is that it must have cost a fortune to do so.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:59 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
The others are right. I remember this was sort of odd when I was little and we moved here. We always had a basement. They are definitely few and far between. I do know a few people with basements, but as Ozzy said, it's generally a splitlevel or hillside lot.

We have such rocky soil, and some developments are on pure limestone beds!
Blasting out a basement would be a huge construction expense.

Another interesting thing is that 100-150 years ago, when a lot of the really old houses and building were built, there were a LOT more natural springs right under homes. Water wells on lots were hard to drill, but they didn't have to go far to find a source of fresh water. The old pier and beam construction was really very practical. In 98 and 02, I remember some dry springs coming to life as the aquifer levels reached all time highs! Nothing like a natural spring fountain in your rec room in the basement!

Old 03-31-2007, 09:52 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
I live in Machnke Park and have a basement. The house next door has one too. It's the only ones I know of. A friend in Olmos Park has a basement that was built more as the maid's quarter's. It's like a small apartment with it's own bathroom and kitchenette. I don't know what year the house was built.
There are basements...but few and far between.

Last edited by ShaneSA; 03-31-2007 at 10:02 AM..

Old 03-31-2007, 04:19 PM

75 posts, read 362,002 times
Basebements are not common in Texas. Very few homes are built with them. Someone once explained it to me, but have since forgotten. Most new homes will not have them.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:05 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Some of post quarter residential homes on Ft. Sam have basements, but that's all I've ever seen in SA.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:50 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
The others are right. I remember this was sort of odd when I was little and we moved here. We always had a basement. They are definitely few and far between. I do know a few people with basements, but as Ozzy said, it's generally a splitlevel or hillside lot.

We have such rocky soil, and some developments are on pure limestone beds!
Blasting out a basement would be a huge construction expense.

Another interesting thing is that 100-150 years ago, when a lot of the really old houses and building were built, there were a LOT more natural springs right under homes. Water wells on lots were hard to drill, but they didn't have to go far to find a source of fresh water. The old pier and beam construction was really very practical. In 98 and 02, I remember some dry springs coming to life as the aquifer levels reached all time highs! Nothing like a natural spring fountain in your rec room in the basement!
You are just a wealth of information, wCat. What's your vocation, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-31-2007, 08:48 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
You are just a wealth of information, wCat. What's your vocation, if you don't mind me asking?
LOL!!!!! I have my degree in Interior Design. And yes....currently a designer. I just have weird hobbies!

Old 03-31-2007, 09:01 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
LOL!!!!! I have my degree in Interior Design. And yes....currently a designer. I just have weird hobbies!
Interior Design... I do see that creative and insightful mind of yours going to work on some of these SA threads. Someone like you would be very welcomed on the Politics and Other Controversies subforum .

Think about it.:

I apologize to the OP for the hijack.... continue....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio