Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 12:38 PM

271 posts, read 988,299 times

Advertisements

"Regarding these children, the immediate, short, simple answer is to send them all back to an agency back in Mexico or Cent. Am. and let them sort it out from there."
"Can't anyone start an honest, straightforward, neutral, unbiased question (I explained how I tried to be as neutral and non-inflammatory as possible in my other post) without unfounded, snide, or sarcastic extrapolations?" -DANDIDAY

Contradict much?

Old 06-18-2014, 12:50 PM

671 posts, read 690,577 times
Default No, not really!

No, FP, I don't. Anything otherwise is an honest mistake.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:12 PM

Prim8,
Thanks for the honest observation. Point noted and well-taken!

You're right, I am very thin-skinned and sensitive. (Other extreme stressors going on, which I think added to everything.)

As I said earlier, perhaps this is not a productive realm of discussion for me. Maybe it's more of a read-and-learn!

As for not moving there... after reading these and very informational posts supplied by other posters in other threads, we are honestly now considering not moving there. That was a straightforward remark after months of compiling info from other cities/states, and not just limited to the S.A. threads we recently focused upon. We still don't know...

Just FYI, there's another post out there regarding finding a "utopia" in Texas. It is an extremely interesting thread and discussion, prompting a lot of fascinating conversation. That also influenced us quite a bit, and prompted DH and I to think more about other possibilities.

Anyway, I really appreciate the conversation and info supplied by some of you...and hope that this situation with these children on the border and at Lackland has some form of satisfying resolution, especially for San Antonio!

It's certainly a unique conundrum, with a complex array of possible problems, impact, and solutions. I still would be interested in reading people's observations, information, and possible solutions on this one...and yes, will look to the more broad forums on this topic for more.
-Thanks for listening, ~ DD

Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
I don't agree. The criminals are the people making money with the desperation of families. No mother would let her kid risk it's life without being completely devastated.

Lynn,

You're right!!!

I wouldn't have believed it at first....but, flipping through channels yesterday, I had heard a commentator making references to the "coyotes" and others making money on this situation!!!

It was the "others" I wonder about, and for what reason or end. This border crossing all is too coordinated and organized, isn't it?

Also, I'm wondering why our president didn't immediately respond to this crisis. Especially to call up the leaders of the illegals' countries, and tell them to stop the exodus! Hmmm....
~DD

Old 06-19-2014, 09:46 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
Lynn,

You're right!!!

I wouldn't have believed it at first....but, flipping through channels yesterday, I had heard a commentator making references to the "coyotes" and others making money on this situation!!!

It was the "others" I wonder about, and for what reason or end. This border crossing all is too coordinated and organized, isn't it?

Also, I'm wondering why our president didn't immediately respond to this crisis. Especially to call up the leaders of the illegals' countries, and tell them to stop the exodus! Hmmm....
~DD
Ok. At this point, this topic does belong in the politics forum. As I said before, the real criminals are the parents. Under no circumstances do you just send your child off into the unknown dangers. If the parents are allowing this because the conditions are terrible in their own country then that is the country's fault.

Bottom line is that this should not be the US taxpayer's problem, espically with such large numbers as we are seeing now. I say send them back.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:57 AM

Azure110,

I agree...the US (and filtering down to SA) have enough to deal with. We can't take this recent influx. 35,000 people a month???

Old 06-19-2014, 11:07 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
Well that's why they send them here....they know our system will take care of these children.
My heart goes out to these kids, but we have to take a stand and let the world know that we are not the babysitter for every third world child.
I know it sounds cruel saying such a thing, but we simply cannot afford to support everyone that crosses the border.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:25 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post

Anyway, back to the topic. With us being formerly from SA and wondering (still!) if we should move back, I honestly wanted to know about the impact on our future home there from every angle. SA is already groaning under the weight of both people moving into the area, urban sprawl, as well as illegals. This issue is a negative for the city, in my book (all other things aside regarding those poor children.)

I know about this struggle in S.A. for a fact; the facility where I used to work, handled a huge number of these illegals (we were instructed not to say anything to the public). I saw our tax dollars poured into care for the illegals (in EVERY sector...housing, medical, school, and on) to the detriment and exclusion of our own legal citizens in need! I saw, first hand, our own people on wait-lists for a variety of assistance, only to be wait-listed or excluded because these funds or access to care were diverted to a newly-arrived illegal alien!

This is a huge problem we have right now, from the city on up to the national level, and there's no easy answer. I would love to help these children, along with every other person in need on this earth...but that's not possible.

Regarding these children, the immediate, short, simple answer is to send them all back to an agency back in Mexico or Cent. Am. and let them sort it out from there.

Another option would be to put these children up for adoption here. If an American parent relinquished their child like this, or put their children in danger (with or without the parent there), you bet that CPS would take away parental rights and place them up for adoption (this happened to an acquaintance of mine, and I've seen countless other cases personally).

We need to secure and close our borders to everyone right now, for our own very survival - especially because of terrorism and our own economic woes. For heaven's sake, we can't even take care of our own people at this juncture! I'm sure each and every one of you has a friend or acquaintance who could use some help. Many people I know are either out of a job, living paycheck -to-paycheck, have lost their home, or have to choose between buying food or medications.

For those of you who think we should allow amnesty for these illegals, or otherwise welcome these "undocumented immigrants" into our country and Texas for whatever reason, I ask you these questions;

-When does it end?
-Is there a limit on the number of people we take in?
-Is it ONLY from the Mexican and Central-American countries?
-Why aren't we helping the women and children from the Middle East and Africa, whose lives are threatened on a daily basis? Living under worse conditions than these recent illegal immigrants who just crossed our border?

***So, why should this apply to only those desperate/poor people adjacent to America? There are hundreds of thousands of desperate women and children in Iraq, Syria, and other middle-Eastern countries who have absolutely nothing, and are running for their very lives every day from terrorists and war! The women, especially, are nothing more than chattel or slaves...worse off than the Mexicans across the border. I'd rather help them at this point, over and above anyone else.

So, if we go along with the premise of accepting poor Mexicans or those from Cent. Am. under the guise of helping those less fortunate or escaping the cartel or gang violence, then why don't we get airplanes and ships to gather up these Middle-Eastern women and children, along with others from poor or war-torn countries (in Africa, too)???? Isn't that "fair"???

***In other words, take every disadvantaged, poor, or threatened person on this earth, and bring them to the USA to give them a chance, too?!

*It won't work, folks. Our country (and even San Antonio) is struggling trying to keep afloat. If we keep on allowing more into our country, we will sink!
*We must close our borders immediately, send these children and others back, and figure out a better short and long-term solution.
-thanks for listening, DD
Good post!

As far as using the term "illegal alien?" Let's call a spade a spade. That's exactly what they are, and they have no right to break into this country illegally. They are costing us through the nose all across the board, and it hasn't gotten any better in recent years. Schools, prisons, emergency rooms, et al...yeah, we DO need to consider the costs, because that is the bottom line.

Either do it the right way, by legal means--or get OUT of the country, period. We can't take everybody in, as much as these third-world countries would love that.

The United States/America has to come first, and we DO need to look after our own interests first and foremost. We cannot babysit the rest of the world, and that includes third world Mexico and all of the rest of the third world messes, regardless of where they are.

We can't survive by taking in the third world's uneducated masses that just bring their problems and diseases here.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:40 AM

Default these illegals are a crisis for us all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Well that's why they send them here....they know our system will take care of these children.
My heart goes out to these kids, but we have to take a stand and let the world know that we are not the babysitter for every third world child.
I know it sounds cruel saying such a thing, but we simply cannot afford to support everyone that crosses the border.
Very true.
In a prior post here, I asked everyone, "is there a limit?"

We are sinking with the overload, folks!!!

Of course my heart goes out to all of these unfortunate people, especially the children. I wish I could help each and every one...especially the poor innocents who are victim to the wars in the middle east.

But what Txtea says is true...we can't afford to support or care for everyone!!!

WHEN the heck does it end?
WHO will ultimately pay for them? (you know who...us! the working people!)
WHO will ultimately pay to take care of these children down at Lackland? Food? Doctors? Social Services?

You can bet that our local tax dollars ARE being used, too! If not directly right now, it will filter down to us later.

Shouldn't we retain these very same tax dollars for our own children? Our own people? Services?

We have our own citizens struggling with a variety of problems nowadays, and can't seem to straighten out our own issues, especially the economic ones!

How the heck can we keep on allowing this influx of illegals???

San Antonio has been and is directly affected by illegals coming in via Mexico. But you would never know it from the media outlets.

The news outlets, especially up in the north and northeast, barely mentioned this current crisis at the border (except for Fox news). If they did, it was either a one-time report, or they glossed over it, without any further investigative reporting.

That's why I started this thread in the first place!!! Could barely find anything reported up here (NE) about San Antonio and these illegal children and others crossing the border.

Perhaps if more people in S.A. drew attention to this crisis via their representatives and media outlets, more info would get out to the other people of our nation, and people would wake up and DO something!!!

Something has to be done to stop this insanity!

Old 06-19-2014, 11:52 AM

Thank you, Cathy4017!

I appreciate your comments so much! Thank you!

Well, I can't sit still about this issue any longer...

***The more I learn each day (especially about our sinking economy), the more I'm becoming so fearful for my children's future.

Their future (and all we parents have worked for) has been hijacked by these illegals... especially in Texas!!! And, especially in San Antonio!!! I saw snippets of it first-hand before. Now, it must be a gusher!

This "damn break" at our border has to stop NOW. They must all be sent back, including the other illegals already here.

Someone suggested we move this to the US forums. I urge you all to do that! Comment about what you see going on in San Antonio and at the border. Write your representatives. Demonstrate. Make this known on a wider level.

Make noise so that the media knows what's going on "on the ground" in San Antonio and other cities who are, or soon will be, affected by these illegal alien children and their parents or companions.

We all must do something!!! Thanks! DD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio