Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:56 PM

4 posts, read 5,809 times

Advertisements

As a pescetarian (who eats no beef, chicken, or pork), it has its challenges, of course, but I always feel healthy, I rarely get sick, and I seem to have a pretty decent amount of energy.

I've never had my own balcony garden but I'm extremely excited to start one now that it's been a few months since I've moved into my new place. I had to wait until it was the right time because I wanted to spruce up my balcony as much as I could, first, but to be honest, I'm not really much of a decorator per se, but I do love nature-like things like plants and trees.

I wanted to make my balcony as inviting as possible so that I can sit out there and eat my meals sometimes, and I am definitely "eating" outside on my balcony, more often than not, among all my artificial plants, flowers, and greenery. It's very peaceful. I'm even thinking about getting a birdhouse, birdbath, or bird feeder, but I'm not sure which one to get.

Has anyone had any experience with gardening on their balcony? I would welcome any tips and information you can provide!

I've attached "pictures" to this post of the following:

A view from my balcony inside my apartment looking out, from outside at ground level looking up, with food on my balcony table getting ready to eat "homemade" vegetarian burgers and fries, my artificial flowers/a tree/my balcony table, my ingredients I used to make the homemade vegetarian burgers, and my 25 planting pots which I bought as a lot for $5 at Boysville Auxiliary Thrift Store (I visit this particular thrift store every other day, sometimes every day since I'm just around the corner from there).
Attached Thumbnails
I'm Starting a Vegetable Garden On My Balcony-20140610_113229.jpg   I'm Starting a Vegetable Garden On My Balcony-20140611_145830.jpg   I'm Starting a Vegetable Garden On My Balcony-20140623_190211.jpg   I'm Starting a Vegetable Garden On My Balcony-20140624_124647.jpg   I'm Starting a Vegetable Garden On My Balcony-20140705_150658.jpg  

I'm Starting a Vegetable Garden On My Balcony-20140706_110411.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 10:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
You're a little late for a spring garden. It gets too hot here during the summer for most plants to make any veggies. Few can even survive. You want to be ready to plant in the fall immediately after the first cool front that usually arrives in the middle of September. I would suggest for maximum yield about 2 kale plants, plant one each in pots of Collard Greens 8+ each, and probably 2 tomatoes plants. Veggies like peas, carrots, green beans, you just don't have the room and you probably won't even get one meal from them. You might have to plant from seeds but September is the time. If you just have the like, pepper plants can also make a few during the winter time in pots. I would also suggest using a good potting soil, not something cheap and fertilize with composted chicken manure. Use it sparingly as it's hot and will burn the plants. A handful per month is enough. It can be found at most garden supplies or feed stores. You'll do best if your apartment faces east to catch the morning sun. If it faces west and gets the evening sun be careful about watering as you may have to do it everyday until it really cools off. You can also grow rhubarb in a pot but it takes about 2 years before they really get going. If you can find a container about 4 foot long, 2 foot wide and about a foot deep, you can mix 50% sand with potting soil for carrots but make it sure it can drain. Carrot seeds, if you've never grown them, are about the size of salt- very fine and they have to be spaced or they won't make. You'll throw a lot out after they first come up and you get to thin them. In a garden I just move them but you won't have that option. Most all of the above will be ready in about 70 days. Forget things like squash as one plant won't yield enough whereas things like collards just keep putting on. Same with kale. I'm still harvesting from both collards and kale from plantings in February. They MIGHT even make into the winter. You can do really good from pots but you have to chose wisely about which to grow. Some types of veggies will grow and produce but don't produce enough for the bother, like peas. What good is less than a single handful of peas, maybe 30 peas, once in the plants lifetime and waiting 70 days for them? There are better producers out there.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:30 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,450,912 times
While I have to agree with TrapperL's post, it appears you have a good deal of shade which might help your efforts...fall gardening efforts might be easier to prepare for tho...also, I think I would personally want some type of "stand" allowing to layer your pots, something along this line:

Amazon.com : Gardman R691 4-Tier Greenhouse Staging : Shelving : Patio, Lawn & Garden

This would help maximize your limited patio space allowing you to still enjoy your outdoor living.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,009 times
First thing I learned about gardening in Texas: Don't plant in full sun! It's too darn hot here. Filtered sun works best, and yeah, my summer garden has always struggled. I do well with spring and fall plantings. That said, on your shaded balcony, you may be able to get some things to grow.

And I agree- focus on the leafy vegetables. They do well here and will give a great yield. Tomatoes should grow well in containers, but mine always fall victim to stink bugs. Peppers work well too.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:03 PM

48 posts, read 62,480 times
Completely agree with the comments above.

A good starting point could be with Herbs - Mint, Parsley, Basil are super easy. They're also pretty hard to kill.

Take my advice on soil and you won't regret it (I got it from Square Foot Gardening): 1/3 Peat Moss, 1/3 Vermiculite, 1/3 Compost. SO much better than the pre-mixed potting soil you'll find at the garden center. Easy to work with and impossible to over-water (provided that you have a pot that drains).

Old 07-07-2014, 04:47 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,450,912 times
Could NOT agree with the above post more, and even took a sq ft gardening class from the continuing education classes offered at NSISD. Check out their website for more info on how to maximize your efforts!

Old 07-07-2014, 07:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
I don't live in San Antonio but here are some threads on gardening in the San Antonio Forum. Good luck
Anyone ever plant a garden in San Antonio in the Winter?
A Spring Vegetable Garden
I'm looking for a Community GARDEN
When will you start your garden?
My Own Vegetable Garden
Garden question
San Antonians who garden
need help starting a container garden in San Antonio, Need advice
Big Garden Centers

Old 07-08-2014, 07:54 AM

671 posts, read 690,369 times
Hi Eugene Jr -
I agree with all of the above posts...there are ways to do it, but be careful of that sun!!! It can fry a seedling in a day! I've had luck with kale, herbs, arugula, zucchini, and the rest just bit the dust!

I read an article once of someone producing a great little "vertical" crop using those plastic or mesh shoe holders that hang on doors! Some used a hydroponic system, others used traditional soil mixes as above. One little seedling per shoe pocket. If you're adventurous, look that up and give it a try! Going "vertical" is the way to go!

Back to the zucchini...'Heard a funny story from Comfort Texas...apparently zucchini grows very well up there. So well, in fact, that if you visit up there in August and leave your car door unlocked, you'll see several bags of zucchini placed in your car when you return. It apparently grows so well up there, that people can't possibly keep them all!!!

To quote Bubba from Forest Gump...You can "pickle them, fry them, make them into bread, or pancakes, have stuffed zucchini, boiled zucchini, zucchini casserole, grilled zucchini, etc. etc. ! tee hee- let us know how it goes!

Old 09-08-2014, 01:20 PM

923 posts, read 1,502,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You want to be ready to plant in the fall immediately after the first cool front that usually arrives in the middle of September.
Just thought I'd bump this thread back to the top now that we're in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I would suggest for maximum yield about 2 kale plants, plant one each in pots of Collard Greens 8+ each, and probably 2 tomatoes plants.
I'm thinking about trying this, planting some kale and collard greens in pots on my back porch. Anyone else? Where do y'all get your plants (or do you start from seeds)?

Old 09-08-2014, 02:22 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,923 times
I don't recall seeing any Kale or Collard Green transplants at any of the nurseries but it might be worth a call. Another good place to look for fall plants like this would be the annual Herb Fest. Lately they have been having it at one of the Pearl Farmers Markets in October. I always buy my lettuce plants there. It's sponsored by the San Antonio Herb Society. I think. If you elect to plant them from seeds you better start now as they will more than likely need to be started inside in pots and then moved to the garden or patio when they are bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio