Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 PM

6 posts, read 8,270 times

Advertisements

I'm posting because my wife just got a job offer in San Antonio and it looks like we'll be relocating in a little more than a month. We don't really know a lot about San Antonio, and it's probably safe to say we're both a little young and naive about a major relocation, so any advice at all would be greatly appreciated! Specifically, though, I had a few questions I'd like answered...

My wife will be working at one of two locations in the area, but she's not sure which just yet. One is located right at the northernmost part of SA, just above the Charles W Anderson loop. The other is downtown near the Botanical Gardens. We were wondering about apartment complexes with easy access to highway 281 between those two areas. We don't really know what's realistic to expect, but ideally it would be nice to find a decent apartment in a good neighborhood with rent not more than about $800-850 a month. Suggestions that don't meet those criteria would help as well.

Also, I don't have a job in the area. I have been working as a teacher, but I'd like to transition to another career and I'm weighing my options about schooling / career training. So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations about good temp agencies where I could find work while I pursue my professional goals.

Finally, any other comments / suggestions / feedback / advice will be very helpful! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
This thread may be a bit outdated but is still a good place to start SAN ANTONIO Metro Info * Relocation Index * Events * Photo thread *

As far as places to live you should be okay with your budget in most areas. Recommendations on areas will have to wait until we know what type of area you would like to live in. The Botanical Gardens area is more eclectic and hip whereas the area near Loop 1604 is more suburban and more cookie cutter (but has access to lots of shopping and entertainment). Is driving a factor? Do you like to walk/bike? What types of activities do you want to be close to? Those are all things to consider when looking in San Antonio.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_g-mores View Post
I'm posting because my wife just got a job offer in San Antonio and it looks like we'll be relocating in a little more than a month. We don't really know a lot about San Antonio, and it's probably safe to say we're both a little young and naive about a major relocation, so any advice at all would be greatly appreciated! Specifically, though, I had a few questions I'd like answered...

My wife will be working at one of two locations in the area, but she's not sure which just yet. One is located right at the northernmost part of SA, just above the Charles W Anderson loop. The other is downtown near the Botanical Gardens. We were wondering about apartment complexes with easy access to highway 281 between those two areas. We don't really know what's realistic to expect, but ideally it would be nice to find a decent apartment in a good neighborhood with rent not more than about $800-850 a month. Suggestions that don't meet those criteria would help as well.

Also, I don't have a job in the area. I have been working as a teacher, but I'd like to transition to another career and I'm weighing my options about schooling / career training. So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations about good temp agencies where I could find work while I pursue my professional goals.

Finally, any other comments / suggestions / feedback / advice will be very helpful! Thanks.
You mentioned one of the locations was outside Loop 1604 (BTW nobody calls it the Charles W Anderson Loop), but you didn't say exactly where. Is it outside 1604 along I-10, US 281, I-35, or one of the arterials in between? That will help narrow things down a bit.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
As Ashbeigh said, a lot depends on your personal preferences for lifestyle/home environment.

If she's going to be working at both locations, my personal choice would be to live nearer to the Botanic Gardens. That's Mahncke Park (or nearby is Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills to the north and Government Hill to the South, on the other side of Ft Sam, and the Pearl Area closer to 281 and downtown). All would have easy access to 281, with Government Hill easy access to 35 as well.

The area is older, historic in some places, diverse housing, and except for the Pearl area, most apartment will be individual units in houses that are split up, so really you need to see them in person before deciding. The Pearl area, further south but close to 281 and a few minutes bike ride from Botanic Gardens, is a recently refurbished area - lots of new apartments along the river, new restaurants and bars, some shopping (not a ton but it's getting there) and close to downtown. The whole region is good for walking/biking/easy access to fun places. And it'd be a reverse commute to 1604 (any of the intersections - I35, I10, or 281). I'm not sure apartments at the Pearl go for that low, but there are many in the general area that are in that range. Also, if you want to be closer to I-10 (i.e. if the other position is near 1604/I-10), then Tobin Hill and Alta Vista are areas similar to those just described.

The area outside 281 is standard suburbia. Lots of apartment complexes, reliance upon cars. And commute to Botanic Gardens area will be with traffic.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:00 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
[ mod cut ]

Welcome to San Antonio--it's a great place to live. The only temp agency I ever worked with was Robert Half (the Legal branch) but I would recommend them based off my experience with them. Good luck!

Last edited by elnina; 04-19-2013 at 12:14 AM..

Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 PM

6 posts, read 8,270 times
Thanks for the comments. It definitely helps to have a little perspective. I know I would probably like to live closer to the downtown area with a more urban feel (if it's not too expensive...) but I suspect my wife will want to live in a more suburban type of setting. It will help when we know which location she will work at (it won't be both). The location I was less specific about is just northwest of Loop 1604 and Highway 281.

(Also, thanks for correcting some of my terminology, haha. "Botanical Garden" and "Loop 1604". Got it. I live in Kansas City at the moment and there's a shopping center here called "The Plaza"... it drives me nuts to hear people call it "The Plaaahza". It should sound like "Jazz-uh".)

Old 04-16-2013, 05:55 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
I would not recommend living near the Botanical Gardens area as it is more of an historic area without a lot of conveniences nearby. A nice area to visit, but that's about it.

If I were working at EITHER location I would gladly live near 281/Bitters. It's about midway and a short drive to either place. It's also a good all-around central location. There are some good complexes near Bitters and West Avenue. Also, you would be going against traffic during rush hours, assuming the job is in the normal daytime shift.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:43 AM

5 posts, read 9,137 times
A big reason to live closer is our traffic can be nutty..Somewhere off of 281 inside the loop (410) should meet your desires.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I would not recommend living near the Botanical Gardens area as it is more of an historic area without a lot of conveniences nearby. A nice area to visit, but that's about it.
Grocery store (Central Market) is just a 5 minute drive up Broadway. Downtown is a 5-10 minute drive, or short cycle ride down Broadway. Easy access to restaurants, night life, assorted activities like museums and shops and parks, fairly close to the Quarry.

I'm not sure I'd describe that area as without a lot of conveniences. What are you looking for? A Walmart? A Target? (tho there's a new one on Austin Hwy, maybe a 10 minute drive)

While older/historic is not everyone's cup of tea, it's not an area I'd describe as being without conveniences. A lot can be accessed via foot or bike.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Grocery store (Central Market) is just a 5 minute drive up Broadway. Downtown is a 5-10 minute drive, or short cycle ride down Broadway. Easy access to restaurants, night life, assorted activities like museums and shops and parks, fairly close to the Quarry.

I'm not sure I'd describe that area as without a lot of conveniences. What are you looking for? A Walmart? A Target? (tho there's a new one on Austin Hwy, maybe a 10 minute drive)

While older/historic is not everyone's cup of tea, it's not an area I'd describe as being without conveniences. A lot can be accessed via foot or bike.
But he said that his wife preferred a more suburban area. I tried to pick an area that was close to downtown and the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio