Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:08 AM

27 posts, read 179,735 times

Advertisements

Hi...Another User was kind enough to post the pic below of upcoming development of the NW corner of Wilderness Oak Blvd and Hardy Oak Blvd. While the SE corner is slated to have a CVS, I'm wondering if anyone knows which grocery store will occupy the NW site. At 25000 sq ft, it is a smaller footprint than typical new HEB construction.
Attached Thumbnails
New Smaller Grocery in Stone Oak (Traders Joes?)-xy_d0cc1770-f8b9-4eb5-85d1-b4e50e94c774__.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 08:44 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Noose View Post
Hi...Another User was kind enough to post the pic below of upcoming development of the NW corner of Wilderness Oak Blvd and Hardy Oak Blvd. While the SE corner is slated to have a CVS, I'm wondering if anyone knows which grocery store will occupy the NW site. At 25000 sq ft, it is a smaller footprint than typical new HEB construction.
IF it IS a Trader Joe's they need to QUADRUPLE their parking space!!!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:56 PM

418 posts, read 1,239,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
IF it IS a Trader Joe's they need to QUADRUPLE their parking space!!!
They should only have handi-capped parking and make everyone else ride a bike.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:02 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,442 times
Maybe these are just suggestions into what will occupy the shopping center. Anyone know?

Old 01-14-2008, 06:10 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,499 times
To those that really like Trader Joes, may I ask the appeal over Whole Foods or Central Market? I am not particularly a Whole Foods fan, but I love Central Market. After visting a few Trader Joes on trips to California, mainly after hearing rave reviews from others, I can say I was really underwhelmed. Thankfully, I live close to the only CM in San Antonio, but I have to believe that if I did not, I would wish for a CM near me before a Trader Joes.

Can anyone enlighten me?

The stores I visited were in the Bay Area.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:34 PM

126 posts, read 425,105 times
Trader Joe's is a fantastic store but its a place you go to in addition to your regular grocery shopping. They have a nice selection of gourmet frozen and dry foods and beverages. They have a small dairy department with some great cheeses but not a whole lot of produce. The prices there are very low compared to what you would pay at whole foods. Its the kind of place you go to to find an unexpected gourmet addition to your meals.... They have an excellent selection of low cost wines too.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:48 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times
I'll tell you what. Whenever I do make it into a TJ's, I'm going to be awfully disappointed if I don't see God himself greeting people at the door.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:20 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,792 times
TJ's is really just a boutique grocery store. They specialize in organics, locally-grown produce, and a wide variety of wines and beer. When we lived in the DC area, I'd go to the TJ's in Reston VA and have a ball creating a six-pack of beers I simply couldn't get anywhere else. Of course, I did the same at Wegman's in Sterling, VA...Nothing like finding a really good Belgian wheat next to an ale from Montana!

--Dim

Old 01-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
I went once. My guess about the appeal is that it's all about the food that is unique, the food that is organic and the Two Buck Chuck. Other than that, it seemed like a small, tightly-focused version of Whole Foods, Central Market or Sun Harvest.

I also want to quote myself from another thread about the likelihood of TJ's coming to town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Someone posted here previously that TJ's lacks a distribution center to service stores in Texas. There won't be any TJ's here until a distribution center goes in. If you look at the map of TJ's locations, you can see that they appear to have 2 distribution centers and the territory for the western one stretches only as far east as Albuquerque

Last edited by Bo; 01-14-2008 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: added quote about likelihood of TJ's coming to town

Old 01-15-2008, 09:02 AM

490 posts, read 1,094,499 times
Aside from not having cheap wine, it does not sound like the appeal is much different then Central Market. To all the Trader Joes fans, have you been to Central Market?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio