Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 09:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,293 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I just found out I will be moving to San Antonio to work at the University Hospital. I'm a very active 20-something female, and ideally I would like to find a place where I can run/walk to restaurants/be around people my age. Does anyone know if it's feasible to live in the Pearl district or King Williams and drive to University Hospital for work. My google maps keep saying 20min, is that too good to be true? On most days I will have to be at work by 6am and stay there till 7pm.
Thanks everybody, very excited for this new adventure. I'm a Texas newbie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 10:32 PM

203 posts, read 561,422 times
20 minutes should be just about right. If you get some lights along the way it could be around 25-30. Pearl area is great!

Old 03-25-2015, 03:54 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
No traffic during your commute time, so it will be less than 20 minutes.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:58 AM

424 posts, read 609,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturequesting View Post
Hello,
I just found out I will be moving to San Antonio to work at the University Hospital. I'm a very active 20-something female, and ideally I would like to find a place where I can run/walk to restaurants/be around people my age. Does anyone know if it's feasible to live in the Pearl district or King Williams and drive to University Hospital for work. My google maps keep saying 20min, is that too good to be true? On most days I will have to be at work by 6am and stay there till 7pm.
20-25 should be your average commute time. I sent you a dm.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:40 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
The Medical Center, actually, isn't too bad. The Gold's Gym has a track and small trail that anyone can use. There is a 2.2 mile trail on Floyd Curl and the entrance to Leon Creek Greenway is right down the road on Whitby. Biking may be a bit rough with all the traffic, but it is doable. Yes, it can get loud at times with all the sirens, but you get used to that...you'll be working at a hospital anyway. There are lots of restaurants and many young professionals in the area, medical students, etc (heck I'm a young professional and live in the Medical Center and commute downtown). There are many apartments (just be choosy because there are some that aren't the best).

Although I am going to suggest you look nearby you can also check the Alta Vista, Monte Vista, Olmos Park area an King William as suggested.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:41 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturequesting View Post
Hello,
I live in Lavaca (next to King Willam - no s) and worked across from UHS. Rarely was it more than 20 minutes, even at traffic time. Pearl will be about the same distance.

IMO, both places - Southtown and Pearl District - are perfect for someone in your situation. I'd also considered surrounding areas like Alta Vista and Tobin Hill.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:28 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,512 times
I live about 5 minutes from the Pearl and I can get to/from Fair Oaks Ranch (substantial distance passed the med center exit) in 25 minutes at rush hour. 20 minutes should be easy at the times you indicated from either KW or Pearl.

I would vote for KW over Pearl, but I like neighborhoods with character and think the restaurants and watering holes there are better. Nothing wrong with Pearl though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio