Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 04:42 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times

Advertisements

You and the family will be fine and do great, you'll run into people with attitudes but just let it go in one ear and out the other, they've got nothing else better to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 07:24 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Do y'all speak French, moverrrrrrrrrrrr?

Old 04-15-2015, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,553 times
Thanks all. And we speak english and french.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:12 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moverrrrrrrrrrrr View Post
My husband has an opportunity for a job as manager to move to san antonio. I am also a nurse and have three children 5, 7 an 12 - we are a black family, originally from North Africa (I will out the name) - but trained and lived here for a while.
The greater San Antonio area covers almost 500 square miles, so you may wish to take your husband's work location into consideration when choosing where to live. Because you are a nurse, you will have employment options all over the city, but most will be concentrated downtown and in the Medical Center, which is on the northwest side.

If your family practices a religious faith, you may wish to investigate where your particular faith group meets. There are lots of Christian churches, particularly Catholic churches, all over town. Many other faiths also have a presence in San Antonio, but their locations don't seem to be as widespread throughout the area.

If you would feel more comfortable living in parts of town with a higher percentage of black residents, then you will want to look at the east side (everywhere between downtown and Converse) and the northeast side. There also seems to be an increasing amount of black families (military and military retirees) on the far west side.

Almost any neighborhood in any part of town will be happy to have you and your family.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:42 AM

520 posts, read 782,035 times
The far west side is becoming one of the more diverse areas in town, Portranco moreso than Culebra/AR but you would not feel out of place in either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
If you would feel more comfortable living in parts of town with a higher percentage of black residents, then you will want to look at the east side (everywhere between downtown and Converse) and the northeast side.
While Slowpoke meant well, I have a feeling he is just looking at demographics.

For your kids' sake stay away from the East Side, I say this as someone whose wife grew up there and have a lot of family still living there (i.e. I am there quite a bit). While some near East Side neighborhoods (Dignowity Hill, etc.) are slowly going through gentrification as you head East on Houston it gets worse centering around Houston/New Braunfels and Wheatley Courts - a lot of poverty, drugs, & bangers. While it has improved from the bad '80-90s and the vast majority of people there are just folks struggling to get by, there are virtually no working professionals, the schools are abysmal, and of course the crackheads and violence. Also, virtually no Africans.

I try not to bash other neighborhoods here on City-Data but suggesting the East Side as a place to move a family based purely on skin tone (not the same as ethnicity) is about the worst advice I've seen on here (sorry Slowpoke, no offense - it's just a bad idea).

Old 04-18-2015, 02:13 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyVaquero View Post
I try not to bash other neighborhoods here on City-Data but suggesting the East Side as a place to move a family based purely on skin tone (not the same as ethnicity) is about the worst advice I've seen on here (sorry Slowpoke, no offense - it's just a bad idea).
None taken, CyVaquero.

I actually didn't suggest that she move her family to the East side, my suggestion was that she consider her husband's work location when researching neighborhoods. I only mentioned the racial makeup of the East side (and NE side, and far West side) in case the racial composition of the neighborhood was an important factor to her and her family.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:35 PM

27 posts, read 39,066 times
Stick to the east side you will fit right in

Old 04-18-2015, 02:06 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
I agree with steering clear of the east side even as far north as Walzem Rd. The south east side is booming and not bad with lots of new housing and apartments. You would be fine most anywhere here though.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,553 times
thanks everyone. this has been very useful.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:47 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Y'all will do just fine here. Lots of diversity and you'll have no problem with schools, work, etc.

Agreed! Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio