Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:34 PM

7 posts, read 17,499 times

Advertisements

Hello, just want to get persepctives before I make a decision. I have a Bachelors in Management degree currently and took 1 semester of MBA courses. But Im thinking I want to shoot for a career field that is a little more challenging and technical. Im thinking of going back for a Bachelors in Computer Information Systems. Anybody have any pros and cons to this instead of doing the MBA program.

Im thinking I could be more marketable on my resume showing a bachelor in Management and CIS. I want to stick with it here in SA, even though I know SA isnt necessarily the mecca for something like this. I dont know anyone with double majors, but opinons are very much welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 05:16 PM

25 posts, read 25,204 times
Go with your Masters and get your IT certifications. IMO employers in that field typically care more about experience than the degree. IT Certifications like MCITP, CCNA, CISSP (this one's tough), Comptia Security+ and Network+, etc. will land you some good IT jobs with your MBA.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:40 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
I'd agree. I think IT certifications are probably more useful at this point than another BA. And an MBA couldn't hurt (except the bank account....)

Old 04-28-2015, 05:18 AM

520 posts, read 782,186 times
I have an AAS in CIS (2000) and BA (2011) in nothing related (Letters, Arts, & Sciences - focus on organizational dynamics and labor relations). After 20 years in IT, I have worked desktop support, manufacturing control systems support, mainframe application support, programmer/analyst, systems design, & sysadmin maybe 20-30% of the people I worked with (including higher ed) had CIS/EE/CE/CS/IST degrees. I know some folks with just a high school diploma making 6 figures and I know some with masters making 50k.

In this field certs will get you looked at, but experience is what will get you hired. I know it's a chicken or egg thing - you can't get experience if you don't get the job but it is all about being flexible and keeping your head on a swivel for new opportunities.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:35 AM

97 posts, read 340,829 times
Call me the dissenting opinion

In many of the industries I deal with, companies feel they have to pay more for someone who has masters which could ultimately hurt their chances in actually getting a role with the company.

Most companies want someone proven if they are going to pay a higher rate, so many will opt to bring someone in at a X salary and allow them to prove themselves in order to move up in position and pay. Having a Masters gives the illusion of having to bring someone on at a higher salary, thus having that person missing out on the opportunity.

The advice I always give someone, you're fine with your Bachelors degree, if you really want to go for a Masters, let the company you are working with pay it for you....

Just my two cents...

Old 04-28-2015, 08:12 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyguitarguy View Post
Hello, just want to get persepctives before I make a decision. I have a Bachelors in Management degree currently and took 1 semester of MBA courses. But Im thinking I want to shoot for a career field that is a little more challenging and technical. Im thinking of going back for a Bachelors in Computer Information Systems. Anybody have any pros and cons to this instead of doing the MBA program.

Im thinking I could be more marketable on my resume showing a bachelor in Management and CIS. I want to stick with it here in SA, even though I know SA isnt necessarily the mecca for something like this. I dont know anyone with double majors, but opinons are very much welcome. Thanks.
IMO computer sciences would be more valuable here vs CIS. YMMV though, its a competitive area here in regards to IT work.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:14 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Barkley View Post
Go with your Masters and get your IT certifications. IMO employers in that field typically care more about experience than the degree. IT Certifications like MCITP, CCNA, CISSP (this one's tough), Comptia Security+ and Network+, etc. will land you some good IT jobs with your MBA.
CIS + CCNA = hilarious, given CIS is more about work environment and CCNA is a coding cert basically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Barkley View Post
i disagree. when it comes to the major players here (rackpsace being one of the biggest), they most certainly want you to have a college degree AND the relevant certs that go with it. stick to basketball where you have more marketable skills, mr barkley. IT just isnt your thing

Old 04-28-2015, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 17,499 times
I agree, my new employer will be paying for my MBA once I hit the alotted timeframe of employment, if I even decide to go back for it. I do have an Associates in CIS from Palo Alto and did 2 out of 4 courses for the CCNA program about 3 years ago. I guess im more than halfway there with already having a bachelors in business admin.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyguitarguy View Post
I have a Bachelors in Management degree currently and took 1 semester of MBA courses. But Im thinking I want to shoot for a career field that is a little more challenging and technical. Im thinking of going back for a Bachelors in Computer Information Systems. Anybody have any pros and cons to this instead of doing the MBA program.
I would go with the IT Degree (or certification) or another Technical degree (But I am out of the current loop BSEE in the 80's)

Old 05-01-2015, 04:05 AM

520 posts, read 782,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
CIS + CCNA = hilarious, given CIS is more about work environment and CCNA is a coding cert basically.
Huh? Configuration maybe, but coding - that's a different animal entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio