Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 04:57 PM

733 posts, read 1,047,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
A good friend of mine owns a A/C, heating and refrigeration company, boilers etc., complete with installations (dislikes), repair or a replacement if a unit is not economically fit to fix. He does all my work.
I remember him saying to me one time that a freezer should be at 31 degrees and the refrigerator at 33 degrees.
In the summertime the fridge has to work harder to stay cold inside. Keep the working part of the unit clean and dust and dirt free- (coils) and it will work more efficiently.
i actually tried this, thinking the back just might be dirty. i hooked up the blower attachment to my kirby and went to town. dust came out but not a ton. im sure the apt manager will appreciate it when they replace it though >.>.. IF they ever do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 07:51 PM

7 posts, read 8,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
A good friend of mine owns a A/C, heating and refrigeration company, boilers etc., complete with installations (dislikes), repair or a replacement if a unit is not economically fit to fix. He does all my work.
I remember him saying to me one time that a freezer should be at 31 degrees and the refrigerator at 33 degrees.
In the summertime the fridge has to work harder to stay cold inside. Keep the working part of the unit clean and dust and dirt free- (coils) and it will work more efficiently.

This is HORRIBLE ADVICE. the FDA recommends ZERO, 31 degrees you are just asking to spoil food and make yourself sick.

Not to mention the poor defroster

Old 06-20-2015, 11:56 AM

432 posts, read 523,621 times
Yes, there are no secret tricks for selecting refrig/freezer settings. Where do people get these ideas ?

Old 06-20-2015, 12:44 PM

437 posts, read 639,026 times
No idea but modern freezers can't even be set above 5 degrees. That probably should tell you something there.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:21 AM

163 posts, read 311,547 times
I've noticed a number of perishable items that include a SELL BY date, but also state that they should be consumed within 3-5 days of opening. Thus if your new milk is good for a month, but you open it today, possibly it spoils within 3-5 days.

I would assume this has to do with exposure to contaminants greatly speeding up the spoilage.

Also, I've noticed that the organic milk at Costco often has expiration dates 6 weeks out or longer, which is about as long as I've seen. Apparently, organic milks are more heavily pasteurized.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:32 PM

161 posts, read 330,888 times
I was just talking about this with my family this weekend........I'm experiencing the same thing with HEB 2% milk. First time I noticed the milk went bad 2 days before the "Use By" date. Second time it was 4 days before. My fridge is only six months old and the milk issue has been fairly recently so I don't think that's the issue.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:25 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Actually, it COULD be - our milk normally exceeds the "use by" date. Get your thermometer out and check the temperature.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:13 PM

366 posts, read 494,257 times
When I first came to SA I noticed that the bread here rots really fast. It was very odd and I couldn't figure it out. I don't drink much milk so I didn't notice with that but the bread, definitely.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:53 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSonner View Post
When I first came to SA I noticed that the bread here rots really fast. It was very odd and I couldn't figure it out. I don't drink much milk so I didn't notice with that but the bread, definitely.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...96339352,d.eXY

Bread Goes Stale About Six Times Faster in the Refrigerator ...

Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 AM

1,038 posts, read 876,880 times
Want longer lasting milk? Buy it without lactose. The sugar in the milk is what makes it go bad quickest.

Lactaid, Mootopia, etc... You can keep them in your fridge for nearly two months, untainted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio