Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:32 PM

422 posts, read 757,083 times

Advertisements

Google has officially been out..question is when will the roll out occur when that happens..

BYE BYE TW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 06:43 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Yup - Google has added SA back to their expansion plans - folks that understand the industry tell me that they can do the build-out in 2 years. We'll see - but yeah - TW and the others are in for some serious challenges when they do!

Old 09-24-2015, 06:48 PM

314 posts, read 832,565 times
My Time Warner has sucked for a while but it was the only thing available, 2 weeks ago ATT ran fiber through my neighborhood on the far wast (Potranco and Talley area) so I am looking forward to their announcement on Monday.

Rumor is it will be around $70 but could be as high as $110.

At $70ish I will move to ATT and wait for Google...

Old 09-24-2015, 07:04 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
AT&T loves their data caps. If they continue with caps with this service they can keep it
Never ever experienced a cap with Uverse and I use the hell out of it.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:59 PM

733 posts, read 1,047,567 times
just something you should know about grande. take this with a grain of salt, i wont divulge my sources.

grande is building in neighborhoods that can afford it. thats why they started with terrel hills and alamo heights. 78209 is getting gigabit internet from grande first because of this. dont expect any gigabit service outside of 78209 until they have completely laid in lines here.

member, i called the google coming to SA bit a long time ago, even when we didnt make the initial cut. my sources are, for the most part, reliable on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
They've been working on installation in my area(AT&T), Seaworld, for over a month. They should be finishing up the trunk lines by the end of next week and start running their lines behind houses. From someone I know that is in the know, Google will not be available for 2 years to the resident side of their service. They will be concentrating their services to the commercial user first. The first phase will be downtown.

lil tip for ya: googles already been laying in line. i cant say where, but they have been doing work while all the legal stuff was being worked out. expect them within 1-1.5 years.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:01 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
I understand them starting in the more affluent areas....but they've been at it for what - 10 years or so now? How long does it take if you're REALLY serious about a build-out?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:30 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
just something you should know about grande. take this with a grain of salt, i wont divulge my sources.

grande is building in neighborhoods that can afford it. thats why they started with terrel hills and alamo heights. 78209 is getting gigabit internet from grande first because of this. dont expect any gigabit service outside of 78209 until they have completely laid in lines here.

member, i called the google coming to SA bit a long time ago, even when we didnt make the initial cut. my sources are, for the most part, reliable on this.

lil tip for ya: googles already been laying in line. i cant say where, but they have been doing work while all the legal stuff was being worked out. expect them within 1-1.5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I understand them starting in the more affluent areas....but they've been at it for what - 10 years or so now? How long does it take if you're REALLY serious about a build-out?
Grande service in San Antonio actually didn't start in 78209. The earliest Grande area to come on line here that I am aware of, was [drum roll] the Dellview area inside 410 in 78213. Had a co-worker around year 2000 who lived in that neighborhood, and had Grande Cable. 78209 came at least a couple of years later. I haven't seen any evidence that Grande has expanded their footprint in San Antonio (which is mostly inside 410 across the north side, to residences served by overhead lines), in at least 10 years.

They have, however, expanded their services in neighborhood that were already built-out. Competitors often employ the same strategy. From a business perspective, it would make sense to roll out higher-end services to higher-end neighborhoods, first.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:09 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Grande service in San Antonio actually didn't start in 78209. The earliest Grande area to come on line here that I am aware of, was [drum roll] the Dellview area inside 410 in 78213. Had a co-worker around year 2000 who lived in that neighborhood, and had Grande Cable. 78209 came at least a couple of years later. I haven't seen any evidence that Grande has expanded their footprint in San Antonio (which is mostly inside 410 across the north side, to residences served by overhead lines), in at least 10 years.

They have, however, expanded their services in neighborhood that were already built-out. Competitors often employ the same strategy. From a business perspective, it would make sense to roll out higher-end services to higher-end neighborhoods, first.
Grande gigabit fiber internet is still only available in Alamo heights and Terrill hills I can't even get it in the "slums" of '09

Old 09-25-2015, 06:24 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,120,016 times
I've seen the prices some companies are charging for gigabit power, and I won't be taking advantage of it. I tested the landline speed of my TWC the other day, and I am paying for 200 MB download speed, I was getting speeds of 350MB. Wireless in the same room about 160MB. Wireless elsewhere in the house 90MB.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:09 AM

520 posts, read 782,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
I've seen the prices some companies are charging for gigabit power, and I won't be taking advantage of it. I tested the landline speed of my TWC the other day, and I am paying for 200 MB download speed, I was getting speeds of 350MB. Wireless in the same room about 160MB. Wireless elsewhere in the house 90MB.
I'm gettng the same wired speed as you on the 300 plan. If your wireless is unbonded N-band then you are capping it's practical speed. On AC-band with an Airport Extreme and 2 walls in between I'm getting near the same as my wired.

AFMike, I'm in the same location as you. TWC were working on the lines this spring in our neighborhood to get everything upgraded. You may want to call and have your drop/equipment checked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio