Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:45 AM

39 posts, read 46,140 times

Advertisements

Hi San Antonians. I have a problem and was wondering if I could get some advice on where to go and who to get help from.

We moved into our house in San Antonio a few months ago and have noticed a loud motor sound that lasts for about two hours during the night about once a week. After weeks of searching, we finally were able to identify the root cause as our neighbor's sprinkler system. They have their sprinklers set to water from 3-5am every Tuesday morning which is when we would hear the motor noise come on in our house. I checked the water meter outside of the house when their sprinkler was on and sure enough, there is a motor running at the meter, and for whatever reason, that sound gets transferred to the inside of our house.

So my question is, do I call SAWS and see if they can do something to fix the problem or do I contact a plumber?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 11:29 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
It sounds like you need to tell your neighbor about the problem and suggest that they have their sprinkler system looked at. They're required to have a backflow prevention valve for the sprinkler system and sometimes if there's low flow through the valve, it can start making noise. It could mean they have a leak somewhere in the sprinkler system.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:30 PM

39 posts, read 46,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It sounds like you need to tell your neighbor about the problem and suggest that they have their sprinkler system looked at. They're required to have a backflow prevention valve for the sprinkler system and sometimes if there's low flow through the valve, it can start making noise. It could mean they have a leak somewhere in the sprinkler system.
Thanks for the reply. It's hard to tell my neighbors that they need to pay for someone to come out for a problem that's not bothering them. Their sprinkler system seems to be working fine, and the only complaint is that we have to deal with the noise issue.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:36 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,489 times
You can try SAWS, but I wouldn't expect them to want to do anything about it even if it were their problem.

If you're not going to ask the neighbor to look into it, I would call a irrigation person or plumber.

If the sound it coming from your neighbors property, the problem is likely there as well, and there's probably nothing you can do on yours that will fix it.

Perhaps talk to the neighbor and explain what is going on and see how they react? If there is a problem, they may be happy you pointed it out to them so they can get it fixed before it becomes a big problem.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:09 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,841,916 times
It's hard to imagine a motor making a noise that loud if it's functioning properly. Might just want to knock on their door, explain the situation and ask if they would mind running it so you can BOTH hear what's going on. As mentioned, it might be caused by the backflow device, or even a valve that's not opening fully. You might well be doing him a favor by making him aware of a developing problem that could cost him some $$$ down the road.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:34 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,460,328 times
HOLY CRAP!!! If they can afford to water for 2 hours every week, they can CERTAINLY afford the backflow device.....OMG, I can not even IMAGINE the wasted water, and the COST of it with these SAWS rates!!! Take your water bill with you to show them when you go speak to them, they will probably buy you dinner with their savings!!!!

Old 10-28-2015, 03:35 PM

894 posts, read 1,548,166 times
Sounds like an adjustment of pressure relief valve on their system might be in order. No motors involved here...just water pressure doing its thing.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:00 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,841,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
Sounds like an adjustment of pressure relief valve on their system might be in order. No motors involved here...just water pressure doing its thing.
Which is why I suggested having them run it while they're both present. It's VERY unusual to run a booster pump w/a sprinkler system on a municipal system (most won't allow it) in the first place - but it's best to actually replicate the sound so all involved know the source. It might not even be on the neighbor's system.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:22 PM

894 posts, read 1,548,166 times
Good advice TR.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:25 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0knows View Post
They have their sprinklers set to water from 3-5am every Tuesday morning which is when we would hear the motor noise come on in our house.
Watering hours for SAWS customers using sprinklers is 7-11 AM and 7-11 PM, on designated days. Sounds like your neighbor needs to re-set their timer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: