Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 12:32 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times

Advertisements

In your opinion how cool do you think San Antonio is these days compared to say, Denver, Portland or Austin? Is it on the up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 12:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Thankfully, it's nothing like Austin....if that's yer idea of cool.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:39 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
In your opinion how cool do you think San Antonio is these days compared to say, Denver, Portland or Austin? Is it on the up?
Define "cool"...
What's cool for you, might be not so cool for me...

Old 01-07-2016, 12:58 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,919 times
It's definitely on the up, but it's nowhere near the "coolness" of those three cities.

I don't think it's attracting a lot of young people who move here just to be here (i.e., without a job), but it's no longer shunned by young people who DO have reasons to be here. It still attracts from a few areas, though, namely the Rio Grande Valley (South Texas) and certain parts of Mexico. Older transplants are coming here from all over. And, there are a few people coming from more hip areas who are interested in building something new, being in front of "the edge," and getting off the grid a bit.

We're finally getting a decent amount of spillover from Austin, as that city has become less and less affordable. "Cool" places in Austin now have branches in San Antonio (e.g., Halcyon, Frank, Tacos and Tequila), and Austin's best indie rock booking company (Transmission Events) now puts on plenty of shows at SA's best new venue, Paper Tiger.

Outside of that, there's lots of new apartments, restaurants, and bars in the neighborhoods just outside of downtown, and many of these appeal to a younger, relatively cool demographic. Compared to just five years ago, there are so many more interesting spots than there used to be.

Still, though, we're nowhere near Austin, Brooklyn, or Portland. It might happen someday, but it's not happening yet. We're also more of a "real" city than those places, as here you'll find people of all generations living together rather than the kind of "Disneyland for twentysomethings" situation you'll find in central Austin.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:05 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Define "cool"...
Good question, elnina. I was thinking "cool" in the sense how free people are to be who they are and want to be, regardless of whether they are non-religious, rastafari, transgender, gay, progressives etc etc. You know how strong the pressure to conform to a certain "accepted norm" (Just as an example; read the bible and go to church regularly, talk about sports, shoot with guns on the range, hate taxes or public transit expansion etc). So in terms of openness and allowing human expression in all its diversity to flourish. Are SA people tolerant about all sorts of lifestyles or is moral condemnation strong?

Old 01-07-2016, 01:06 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,389 times
No, not really (I do agree it is on the "up" like the previous poster said)

San Antonio is a "chill" city. It has a slower grove. It has hip things but it is not a hip city. It is a wonderful city. San Antonio is an authentic city. People tend to be more raw and real than in search cool things.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:20 PM

8 posts, read 9,575 times
I agree w/ the previous poster that it is on the up and up....many who are from the city/area would argue it is a "cool" city (whatever that means). Those of us who are transplants and lived in other large metropolitan areas and/or overseas would probably have mixed opinions on the topic. I personally don't think it's very "cool" in general. The city has its fair share of things that are fun and exciting but overall to me, it feels like a sleepy, Midwestern town. The people are genuinely nice, the pace is slow, and the weather is fine - all good things. But there isn't anything here that genuinely excites me...to me SA is just a ho hum, steady eddy kind of city.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:44 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Good question, elnina. I was thinking "cool" in the sense how free people are to be who they are and want to be, regardless of whether they are non-religious, rastafari, transgender, gay, progressives etc etc. You know how strong the pressure to conform to a certain "accepted norm" (Just as an example; read the bible and go to church regularly, talk about sports, shoot with guns on the range, hate taxes or public transit expansion etc). So in terms of openness and allowing human expression in all its diversity to flourish. Are SA people tolerant about all sorts of lifestyles or is moral condemnation strong?
haha. "read the bible and go to church regularly, talk about sports, shoot with guns on the range, hate taxes or public transit expansion etc)" This describes San Antonio pretty well, esp. if this group is representative...

FWIW, SA tends to be a live and let live city rather than an "accepting" and "embracing" city. People, for the most party, don't complain too much about those who are "different" provided they don't make themselves too obvious . But then other parts of the city are very welcoming and embracing of all types.

I love Boulder and Portland (not a huge fan of Austin), and while those cities definitely have a hip and cool factor, there can be a falseness about it. Like everyone there is trying too hard to be hip and cool. My experience in Boulder is that the older 30-40-something folks tend to be more "real" cool while the 20-somethings tend more to try to fit an image of cool. But that may be my lack of cool-oldness talking ;-)

Old 01-07-2016, 02:35 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
read the bible and go to church regularly, talk about sports, shoot with guns on the range, hate taxes or public transit expansion etc
I don't do any of those things except go to the range and I think I fit in fine here. San Antonio is pretty laid-back. You may have a friend invite you to church, but they usually don't get pushy about it when you decline. I don't hang out with people with lots of money (not intentionally, it's just worked out that way ) and those are usually the folks who hate taxes...us po' folks think of taxes as our once-a-year little jackpot because we get money back. And public transportation...well, there's a couple of nuts in my HOA who are like rabid dogs about the idea of having the bus run through the neighborhood, but Via drivers are usually more careful of me on my bicycle than the school bus drivers so I have no issue with it.

Anyhow, I think you could find people to offend you if you were looking to be offended, and you could find people who did all of the things mentioned above, but you'll find plenty of average people who don't care about your religion or your politics as long as you don't bring them up.

As far as a cool city meaning a city with a lot of well-off young singles or young couples and lots of events and concerts and activities for them, that's more of an Austin thing. We've got lots of family stuff to do here but not a lot of stuff that appeals to young singles.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:03 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
Good info by a lot of posters. For example, juneof48 has great insight that I agree with but slightly off in the sense that my wife and I moved here (30 and 29, just married semi young working professionals) just to live here. I have a mobile job and could've stayed in Houston, be based in Austin or San Antonio. San Antonio is what I wanted

I think it's true it's not like other hipper trendier cities but that's something I like it. San Antonio, for the most part has kept its character and charm over the years. I wouldn't be surprised if more areas gentrify or urbanize so to speak but I feel this city has a lot to offer that many just overlook. At this point of my life, there aren't too many other cities on my list for permanent residence. San Antonio is one of my top 3 and a few notches above a place like Austin.

Last edited by eastontracks; 01-07-2016 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio