Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:09 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,794 times

Advertisements

My daughter and I (mom) be driving through Texas and plan on stopping in the San Antonio area for the night. Want to stay kind of close to the 10. Can you recommend a hotel in a SAFE area, thats not too expensive? We'd like to be close to places to eat, maybe a mall, or someplace with something to do. Safety is my biggest concern. If there is another town within an hour west or east of San Antonio on the 10, that you'd recommend, we are open to that, too.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 11:49 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
My daughter and I (mom) be driving through Texas and plan on stopping in the San Antonio area for the night. Want to stay kind of close to the 10. Can you recommend a hotel in a SAFE area, thats not too expensive? We'd like to be close to places to eat, maybe a mall, or someplace with something to do. Safety is my biggest concern. If there is another town within an hour west or east of San Antonio on the 10, that you'd recommend, we are open to that, too.

Thanks in advance!
If you are coming from SoCal...you would be coming in on IH...which hit SA on the N/NW side of town. You will see signs for Six Flags Fiesta Texas amusement Park...Starting there it is safe, nice and lots of hotels all along there until you reach Wuzbach. You won't have any trouble find a place to stay along there. Avoid the East side of I-10 at all costs.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:01 PM

454 posts, read 505,000 times
Avoid the east side of I-10? Like the Colonade????

I can't think of anywhere along I-10 that isn't safe. That said, I'd avoid the area around I-10/wurzbach just 'cause it's yucky!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:53 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
Avoid the east side of I-10? Like the Colonade????

I can't think of anywhere along I-10 that isn't safe. That said, I'd avoid the area around I-10/wurzbach just 'cause it's yucky!
I wonder if Primo means the I-10 on the eastside of SA.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:07 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Yes...that is what I meant...the OP said they were passing through on IH-10. I meant the East side of town.
Please be realistic, this person obviously doesn't know our city and wanted the safest part of town to get a hotel. The colonnade is nice and safe IH-10- between Wurzbach and Boerne is nice and safe. The area I described is in one of the top 3 highest income zip codes in SA. That is usually a indicator of a safe area. I am sure when she drives into town and see the Dominion, The Rim, Huebner Oaks, I have no doubt they will know they are in a safe area.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:16 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
OMG! SoCal has rubbed off on me! I said "the" I-10! I need a trip home...QUICK!

Old 02-08-2008, 03:55 PM

454 posts, read 505,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Yes...that is what I meant...the OP said they were passing through on IH-10. I meant the East side of town.
Please be realistic, this person obviously doesn't know our city and wanted the safest part of town to get a hotel. The colonnade is nice and safe IH-10- between Wurzbach and Boerne is nice and safe. The area I described is in one of the top 3 highest income zip codes in SA. That is usually a indicator of a safe area. I am sure when she drives into town and see the Dominion, The Rim, Huebner Oaks, I have no doubt they will know they are in a safe area.
Ok. I was picturing "east side of I-10" rather than east of San Antonio, which makes a little more sense.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:49 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
There are a lot of hotels around Six Flags Fiesta Texas (which is the area you are referring to). To find a hotel go to this website: travel now . com -- global discount hotel reservations
and search on San Antonio, and select landmark Six Flags (from the drop down menu).

For shopping the number 1 place to visit is the Shops of La Cantera, located next the Six Flags Fiesta Texas amusement park. An open air mall that's just as interesting
(to me) as the Riverwalk area downtown.
The Shops at La Cantera (http://www.theshopsatlacantera.com/html/index19.asp - broken link)

There are also some major bookstores, other major stores, and many places to get food, further along I-10 before hitting Wurzbach.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:10 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
I will give this warning: there are not many places to eat (yet) at the Shops of La Cantera.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:38 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,794 times
Thank you all for your input. I have a pretty good idea now of places to look for hotels. We will only be passing through, so we wont get to go to Six Flags- too bad!

So the highway is called the IH-10? In California we call it the I-10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio