Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 09:04 PM

22 posts, read 17,268 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody me and my wife will be relocating to san antonio around june from milwaukee she is still looking for a job but i will be working at the methodist metropolitan hospital.
My first question is how far should i live from the hospital i seen there is a apartment at the westcreek town homes (is this a nice area or buildings) is that too far? My commute time limit is 40ish min.
We are looking for a 2bedroom with a $850 budget limit. If you happen know of safe & clean apartments under or around my budget please let me know espically if you lived or living in one. I went on a couple websites and its either super negative or super positive reviews for all apartments in san antonio.
I heard and that the safest side of san antonio is nw, north and maybe ne?
Thanks everybody in advanced
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 04:43 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
That area is fine, safe and convenient to restaurants and shopping. Right now there's construction around 151/1604. You'd be taking 151 to 90 to get into downtown. If you're going during rush hour, the construction might slow you down a bit, but probably no worse than any other part of town.

You need to call the apartment complex and see what their income limits are. For some complexes you have to make less than a certain amount to qualify for their affordable living rates, and if your income increases over those limits during your lease, sometimes your rent will increase quite a bit or you'll be ineligible to renew the lease. I looked at the complex you mentioned a while back and they did have income limits...not sure if they still do or not. But it's a consideration, especially since you don't know where your wife will be working or how much she'll be making.

Do you have school age children? Where you live matters more when you've got to consider schools.

We used to live at 281 and Bitters when my husband worked downtown, near that hospital. The commute was short and fast, but he wasn't going in during rush hour.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:44 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
Why don't you just live in the med center area? That Westcreek area is a commute I wouldn't want..and the area is, meh. 850 is a little on the low side for a 2 BR...can you go any higher?

Old 04-21-2016, 05:40 AM

We dont have any kids the plan is to live in a apartment for a year or 2 then buy a house. I guess the highest i can go is 900 i didnt expect apartment prices to be so high in sanantonio compare to milwaukee even though SA is cheaper in terms of cost of living. I would be travling during rush hour, work will start at 7ish. I seen some apartments online in that area but like i said there are super positive reviews and super negative reviews nothing in between. Like i said any apartment buildings you recommend to live?

Old 04-21-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satbound View Post
We dont have any kids the plan is to live in a apartment for a year or 2 then buy a house. I guess the highest i can go is 900 i didnt expect apartment prices to be so high in sanantonio compare to milwaukee even though SA is cheaper in terms of cost of living. I would be travling during rush hour, work will start at 7ish. I seen some apartments online in that area but like i said there are super positive reviews and super negative reviews nothing in between. Like i said any apartment buildings you recommend to live?
Smart..rent for a while and see if you like it...and can handle it here. It'll be an adjustment. Don't know about specific apartments (never rented)...but from what I've read. 850 for 2 BR. is on the low side. Good luck. I'm sure someone else will have a recommendation or two.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:03 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Why don't you just live in the med center area? That Westcreek area is a commute I wouldn't want..and the area is, meh. 850 is a little on the low side for a 2 BR...can you go any higher?
Metropolitan Methodist isnt in the Medical Center Area so their commute would be into town on I10. Now THAT is a commute I wouldnt want on a daily basis.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:04 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You'd be taking 151 to 90 to get into downtown. If you're going during rush hour, the construction might slow you down a bit, but probably no worse than any other part of town.
From that area you can also take Culebra pretty much all the way to the front door of the hospital. I remember when my mom worked there that is how I always got there.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Metropolitan Methodist isnt in the Medical Center Area so their commute would be into town on I10. Now THAT is a commute I wouldnt want on a daily basis.
So, it's even worse? Yeah...get closer. So many hospitals here...I forget which is where?

Old 04-21-2016, 06:48 AM

How close is close and how far is far for you guys. The way these apartment costs are at i might as well buy a house and pay a mortgage!!! In milwaukee of course there is apartment complexes but also there are 4 family apartments and alot of duplexes does everybody who rent live in the complexes at SA? Again thanks in advanced for the replies ��

Old 04-21-2016, 06:56 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satbound View Post
How close is close and how far is far for you guys. The way these apartment costs are at i might as well buy a house and pay a mortgage!!! In milwaukee of course there is apartment complexes but also there are 4 family apartments and alot of duplexes does everybody who rent live in the complexes at SA? Again thanks in advanced for the replies ��
While the cost of living here is still generally low compared to other areas, I feel like it is going up. I still wouldn't buy a house right away as you probably want to get an idea of where you want to settle in first before making a big commitment such as taking out an mortgage.

You may end up not even liking San Antonio which happens to some people that move here and if that happens to you with a rental, you will be able to break away easier and move on to another city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio