Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 05:58 PM

427 posts, read 1,175,472 times

Advertisements

Is there an agency in San Antonio that regulates when construction crews can work?

We have a new school being built near our home. It's great that a new school is going up but the construction noise is unbearable at times. Not because of the amount of noise but because there have been days when they have started construction at 2AM. The majority of the time it's 7am until dusk. Needless to say, the long days of summer aren't going to be fun!

I was wondering if there is anyone that we could at least fine a friendly complaint with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 05:43 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,966,886 times
Can't really answer your question, but we're staying with my parents until our house is done (2 more weeks!). Their house is right across the street from the location you're talking about (Springs). The noise is indeed loud, but what gets me more is the amount of dust that has been kicked up since they started.

I have to wonder what the impact on the health of residents has been. I know that we've been under the weather much more than usual, but that could be because of my daughter starting school and the nasty sicko-season this year. However, I am certain that this much dust and particulate matter in the air isn't good for us--particularly the elderly or those with respiratory problems.

In other parts of the country, construction companies are required to spray the area with water in order to keep the dust down. I have yet to see anything like this occuring.

--Dim

Old 02-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,155,733 times
City code defines construction work hours as "daytime on weekdays." According to sanantonio.gov, it looks like SAPD enforces noise complaints. You can call 311 to confirm this.

Here's the noise nuisance section of city code with the relevant subsection bolded...

Quote:
Sec. 21-52. Noise nuisance enumeration. (a) The following acts, among others not hereinafter enumerated, are declared to be "noise nuisances," and are unlawful and in violation of the provisions of this division when such acts are done or accomplished or carried on in such a manner, or with such volume, intensity, or with continued duration, so as to annoy, to distress, or to disturb the quiet, comfort, or repose of a person of reasonable nervous sensibilities, within the vicinity or hearing thereof, or so as to endanger or injure the safety or health of humans or animals, or so as to interfere with the physical well being of humans or animals, or so as to endanger or injure personal or real property:

(1) The playing or permitting or causing the playing of any radio, television, phonograph, drum, juke box, nickelodeon, musical instrument, sound amplifier or similar device which produces, reproduces, or amplifies sound.

(2) Any loud or vociferous language or any soliciting for, or description of, any amusement house, moving picture theater, or other like place of amusement, or for the performance therein, in the entrance thereto, the foyer or lobby thereof, or on the sidewalks adjoining the same.

(3) The keeping of any animal, fowl, or bird, which makes frequent or long, continued noise.

(4) The continued or frequent sounding of any horn or other signal device on any automobile or vehicle, motorcycle, bus or other vehicle, except as a danger signal.

(5) The discharge into the open air of the exhaust of any steam engine, stationary internal combustion engine, automobile, motorcycle, or other motor vehicle or boat, except through a muffler or other device which prevents loud or explosive noises therefrom.

(6) The erection, including construction, excavation, demolition, alteration, or repair work, or the permitting or causing thereof, of any building or other structure, or the operation or the permitting or causing the operation of any tools or equipment used in construction, excavation, drilling, demolition, alteration or repair work:

a. Other than during the daytime on week days; or

b. At anytime such that the sound level at or across a real property boundary exceeds 80dBA.

c. This section shall not apply in cases of urgent necessity in the interest of public safety, or in cases of public convenience, including city sponsored or co-sponsored fiestas, parades, and public events.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,347,482 times
I have no idea where to find the specific law, but I know there are regulations about "wetting" the area of construction when clearing land to prevent all of that dust.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:54 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,966,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I have no idea where to find the specific law, but I know there are regulations about "wetting" the area of construction when clearing land to prevent all of that dust.
Found this link:

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/p.../006/05-02.pdf

The second page of the PDF contains numbers to call about possible air quality violations from construction sites. I'm going to call today, and will continue to poke around for additional information (laws, regulations, etc.) about this issue.

I'm not trying to "stir the pot," but I know there is a definite dust control/nuisance problem going on with this project. To say it's an inconvenience is an understatement.

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio