Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:58 PM

27 posts, read 24,731 times

Advertisements

Could somebody give me an idea of how easy could be for a foreign student to be accepted by the community at AHISD? We are moving from Italy to San Antonio and we would like our son to attend Junior High there.

I have been reading on the internet students know each other since kindergarden and families are "selective" regarding new friends. Since it is one of the most affluent districts it could be difficult to socialize if you do not have the same "old money status". Is it true?

I am also worried about bullying and how this problem is managed at AHISD.

I do not want to fall into stereotypes, that`s why I would like to hear from somebody who can give me some information about it.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 02:33 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
People move into and out of Alamo Heights all the time...if you have the $$$ to live there, he will have no problem. There are even APARTMENTS that are in the AHISD area......don't believe everything you read about it being all that.

IF you want your son to have the best possible education, IF he can get accepted, you want him at Keystone for sure!!!!! In 2006, the College Board designated Keystone as “the best school in the world….” The College Board based this proclamation on the amazing results our students typically achieve on advance placement exams. While the College Board no longer makes such distinctions, their comments beg the question: Did the College Board have it right?"

While it is NOT cheap, there is financial aid and the BEST school in San Antonio for sure (St Mary Hall is all about the $$$$) at Keystone, if you have the ability, they help you MAKE it happen!!!! The question would be do you want the BEST possible education for a student worthy/capable or are you in search of status based on ability to buy/rent in that area? There are both financial aid and scholarships possible for those who demonstrate the potential.

http://www.keystoneschool.org/about-us/

Last edited by Paka; 06-06-2016 at 02:57 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 06:38 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
People move into and out of Alamo Heights all the time...if you have the $$$ to live there, he will have no problem. There are even APARTMENTS that are in the AHISD area......don't believe everything you read about it being all that.

IF you want your son to have the best possible education, IF he can get accepted, you want him at Keystone for sure!!!!! In 2006, the College Board designated Keystone as “the best school in the world….” The College Board based this proclamation on the amazing results our students typically achieve on advance placement exams. While the College Board no longer makes such distinctions, their comments beg the question: Did the College Board have it right?"

While it is NOT cheap, there is financial aid and the BEST school in San Antonio for sure (St Mary Hall is all about the $$$$) at Keystone, if you have the ability, they help you MAKE it happen!!!! The question would be do you want the BEST possible education for a student worthy/capable or are you in search of status based on ability to buy/rent in that area? There are both financial aid and scholarships possible for those who demonstrate the potential.

Welcome to Keystone School - Keystone School

Keystone is great. AHISD was ranked in the top 1% of all districts in the nation in 2013. To the OP your child CAN excel at either.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:43 PM

At first Keyston was on my list, but I do not think it will fit my child. He's what is called a twice exceptional child (gifted with learning disabilities) and he has Asperger's. For what I've read Keyston is for highly achievers and it doesn't has a special education department. At least is not in the web page.

I really do not care about status, I am just looking for the school that fits best my child's needs.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:43 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maqrull View Post
At first Keyston was on my list, but I do not think it will fit my child. He's what is called a twice exceptional child (gifted with learning disabilities) and he has Asperger's. For what I've read Keyston is for highly achievers and it doesn't has a special education department. At least is not in the web page.

I really do not care about status, I am just looking for the school that fits best my child's needs.
if that's the case, no, Keystone is definitely not for him. It's a pressure cooker.

From my friends who have kids on the spectrum, AHISD provides the best special ed in the city, particularly for kids on the spectrum. Though, the experience may vary by kid. NISD and NEISD also provide many services. The poorer districts really fail on that, IMO.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:08 PM

Thank you Chaka, a big point for AHISD.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:15 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Note that the two Northside districts also provide extensive services and may be suitable. They're much bigger districts though so you'll want v to investigate the specific school your child would attend. Not all their schools are the same.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,582 times
Default AHISD and new kids

I lived in and attended high school in A.H., graduated class of '91. My younger brother attended Woodridge Elementary, junior school and high school in A.H. I am a single mom of two daughters. My 15 yr old attended Cambridge Elementary, junior school, and next year will be a sophomore (10th) in A.H. My younger daughter just finished 5th grade in Cambridge Elementary and will be in 6th grade at the junior school next year.
My experience was quite different from my younger brother's who is 4 yrs younger then me. I find I agree with those who say junior school years are the "worst" although mine were all right. I am nervous about my younger daughter going to the junior school but I really think that age plays the biggest part in difficulties faced by children in public schools. Outside of that I would recommend Alamo Heights absolutely. You are concerned with your child's environment (apparently some parents aren't as much with their children) and the schools will not tend to let you down should you have any problems. The people who live in Alamo Heights are very nice. I am not one of the rich ones. My entire life here I have not had issues. Yes, a few kids will act snooty but that happens everywhere I'm sure. Your son already has two friends in Alamo Heights. Sasha and Jacqueline So, a sophomore at the high school and a 6th grader at the junior school.
Both girls are smart. Sasha plays viola and Jacqueline plays cello in the strings program. Jacqueline runs 5k s as often as possible. You might also like to look up San Antonio Academy which is a boy's private school nearby. It is expensive but has wonderful structure as well as teachers. My girls took art classes and soccer one summer and would go each summer but I cannot afford to send them there. Keystone is also nearby and might interest you. Which ever school you choose if your son is a good boy then my girls would love to be his friends I'm sure.
Good Luck,
L.R.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 1,582 times
You might hear Alamo Heights referred to as a 'bubble' - it is a 'bubble' but in a good way. Really.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:36 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
One other thing to consider is that AHISD had to deal with a recent suicide by a teenager due to bullying. Yes, I am aware that this can happen at any school district but this is probably the most recent bullying case that happened in San Antonio and the district handled it in a weird, shady way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio