Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:42 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,375 times

Advertisements

I know we've had this discussion on and off in different threads specific to certain restaurants, but I didn't want to keep posting about other chains in the In N Out thread so I thought I would make this new one.

Now, I'm not a foodie at all, but I do like a good burger and I was inspired to start trying some burgers I hadn't yet.

So, I've had 5 Guys before and being from the east coast the chain is very familiar to me. I really like their burgers a lot, and their fries too. I think I like the burgers because they're pretty greasy and have lots of melted cheese and that reminds me of burgers I got at family cookouts as a kid. I really like their fries a lot, and one serving of fries is good for two or three people if you're not by yourself.

I like In N Out burgers for the same reason as I like 5 Guys, it's a greasy cheesy burger, but the patties are smaller I think, which I don't like as much. I really don't like In N Out fries though, I just can't imagine what they're doing with them to mess up the potato so much. It's like eating slices of cardboard to me. The good news here, is their menu doesn't offer a discount if you get a burger and fries, so you can just skip the fries and you don't feel like you're missing a bargain.

Based on the other thread I decided to try Culver's with my dad since I was up near DeZevala on Thursday. It was OK but a chain burger, but we both found it pretty underwhelming. It wasn't as greasy as the other two, and I thought it was under-seasoned. I got onion rings with mine, and they were pretty good. I also got a strawberry shake and found that the best part of the meal. Overall, I liked the meal, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there.

Friday the entire family decided to head downtown for some touristy stuff, and they decided to start with lunch at Rainforest Cafe. I know, it doesn't get much more touristy than that right? I decided to get the burger there, I wasn't really inspired by anything else on the menu and a burger is usually a safe choice. I got the double patty burger and my Dad got the single patty. For me, it was the best burger I've had in recent memory. It was a gigantic burger, I have no clue what size the patties were, but they were pretty big. It was very hard to eat it, and it was very messy since it was so thick, but I ate almost every bite because it was so good. The patty was seasoned well, and still very juicy. It wasn't very greasy, not that I would have minded if it was. The fries were typical seasoned fries you might find at a chain sit down place. They were pretty good but certainly not the star of the show. I found the prices pretty high, but I didn't mind paying that for the burger because it was that good. The kids were of course thrilled with the environment that included the animatronic elephants and gorillas in the section we were seated in.

So, that is my recent burger experience. I think Rainforest Cafe is worth a stop if you're downtown, they're not busy, you have younger kids that would be entertained by the atmosphere and you are looking for a good burger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 10:42 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,781,863 times
If you have not tried the burgers at Esquire Tavern, you may be surprised how good they are. If the location was a bit more local and not touristy, I would go more often.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:56 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,188,192 times
I had a great burger at Hopdoddy at the Rim. They grind their own meat daily and bake the buns on site, so it was very fresh and juicy. I only had a single patty and found it to be just right - I walked away from the table without groaning. The beer selection was ok and we had a margarita, but I've heard that their shakes are excellent, so that's what I'll get the next time I eat there.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:24 AM

520 posts, read 782,342 times
Our personal favorite is Freddie's for chain burgers, although 5 Guys, In-n-Out, and Whataburger all get their turn in the rotation. I did finally get to Chris Madrid's last week and was impressed, it's just not terribly convenient, so Billie Bob's in Castroville & Hondo is still our favorite non-chain - plus the kids love their catfish.

Billie Bob's Tip: Order the Mushroom Swiss and add Green Chilis.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:54 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,781,863 times
I grew up on Billy Bob's burgers. It seemed so good when my options were limited back then but now I will pass. I love their crinkle cut fries though.

Never had their catfish though. They used to sell BBQ (maybe still do?) in the back of the parking lot in a small trailer house or whatever it was. That was pretty good BBQ.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:36 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,040,309 times
For chain burgers, we like Fuddrucker's. I love that they ask how I would like it cooked, because I prefer a little pink in the center. We are a house divided on the Whataburger v In n Out argument, with my husband loving Whataburger and me loving In n Out. We also like Mooyah but haven't been to one in San Antonio, only Dallas.

Biff Buzby's is a new favorite. We tried the burgers at Wise Guys and didn't like them but their cheesesteaks are great so no need to get a burger there. Chris Madrid's is another one my husband raves about and I feel they're overrated but I know that's a minority opinion.

Big'z, Longhorn, Armadillo, they're all good.

We really enjoyed the Lord's Kitchen but we don't get over there often.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I like Fuddrucker's, but my husband really only likes restaurants with drive thrus so we get Whataburger more often.

The best thing about Fuddrucker's is their fries covered with cheese sauce. I've figured out how to duplicate that pretty well at home though.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:29 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
Chris Madrids hits the spot for this household!

Old 07-25-2016, 05:13 PM

432 posts, read 523,762 times
Is Chris Madrids ever not busy ? The wait is just not worth if for me.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:17 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,932,190 times
Been to all of them. Smash Burger, 5 Guys, In and Out, same greasy grossly over priced crap, different sign out front. Wanna GOOD burger? Go to Reds Cove at Medina Lake and have them add the grilled onions. You'll throw up next time somebody mentions another hamburger place. At Reds, once you've placed your order, they make it right then and there. You can sit out on the veranda and watch the water and boats. Pretty nifty place. Don't wanna drive that far? Burger King, WhataBurger, and Freddies gets it done without costing you as much as a steak. Not near as good as Reds Cove but certainly a lot closer. Then again, maybe Reds ain't all that good and you probably shouldn't go. It's crowded enough already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio