Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 04:09 PM

173 posts, read 290,157 times

Advertisements

Looking for some answers here. My vehicle is currently registered in California and has a lien on it. I won't be receiving the title until December or January sometime when the car is completely paid for. How should I approach this so that I'm able to register it in Texas? Should I wait until I receive the title to the car and then begin the process, or is there another way I can approach this? Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 04:20 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
TxDMV.GOV - New to Texas

Not sure if this is true anymore, but you may have a sales tax to pay as well.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,420 times
youll need the green form from the inspection station
then go register it.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:59 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snitchsgetstiches View Post
youll need the green form from the inspection station
then go register it.
They don't use the green form anymore. It's all done at the tax office now.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...eooL8rX59ZkLtA

Old 10-16-2016, 08:26 PM

So, there won't be an issue registering the car here even if it has a lien in California? If the title isn't needed to register the car here, then I think I'm good to go?

Old 10-16-2016, 08:56 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickz623 View Post
So, there won't be an issue registering the car here even if it has a lien in California? If the title isn't needed to register the car here, then I think I'm good to go?
In the link I just provided, it states that you must bring an original title to the tax office in order to register the car in Texas. Do you have the title?

Old 10-16-2016, 10:06 PM

520 posts, read 782,186 times
You don't take the original title if you are coming from a state that only issues titles to the leinholder. Take your current registration and insurance along with any sales paperwork to the tax office, or for a nominal fee you can get it all done at when you get your TX inspection (Step 1) at places like Due Now. I think it was $30 or $50 on top of the fees and licensing costs when I transferred my Truck from PA to TX.

Note: The sales tax is dependent on the state you are transferring from. Since I paid it in PA I didn't pay it here. YMMV.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:05 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,120,016 times
You do not have to re-title your car in TX even if it has a loan. It's a non-issue. Get your inspection first. Go to the New Braunfels branch. They are quite friendly there and in my case they practically filled out the paperwork for me. I must be a charmer.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
You do not have to re-title your car in TX even if it has a loan. It's a non-issue. Get your inspection first. Go to the New Braunfels branch. They are quite friendly there and in my case they practically filled out the paperwork for me. I must be a charmer.
Hahaha. Noted. Thanks for all of y'alls help!

Old 10-19-2016, 10:04 AM

57 posts, read 44,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickz623 View Post
Looking for some answers here. My vehicle is currently registered in California and has a lien on it. I won't be receiving the title until December or January sometime when the car is completely paid for. How should I approach this so that I'm able to register it in Texas? Should I wait until I receive the title to the car and then begin the process, or is there another way I can approach this? Any advice is appreciated!
Hi! I am a bit late with my input but still, I have a loan on a car and it's out of state. Registered it in TX without any problem! 1. Went to Valvoline and inspected the car. (1 hr of your time appx). 2. Went to tax assessor office and showed car inspection (had my loan papers just in case if they ask for it- and they did not) the lady in the office calculated something (paid around 200 and something doll for a car out of state) and that's it... they gave me registration and plates.

THE PAIN is getting a DL in SA....I already had a topic on that....HOURS of waiting in line

Hope you registered your car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio