Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 6,073 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My family and I are new to the area and we have a lot of interest in the Valley Ranch subdivision off of Culebra and 1604. The builder is DR Horton which I know is hit or miss but we are inquiring about the area itself and the community.

Is that area nice? I heard the traffic is terrible because of the construction but that's anywhere (moved from D.C. Area) but it's next to Alamo Ranch?

Anyone live in that community yet? Any horror stories?

Is it a good investment to purchase a home in that area rather than say.. Redbird Ranch?

Thanks for the info and maybe we can keep this thread going for all future potential all home buyers in this community...
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 03:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I would strongly suggest you look in another area. The soils in that area are totally unstable and foundation issues will be in your future. The issue is the Houston Black Clay soils around San Antonio. That's why our Yellow Pages are loaded with foundation companies. It's not a D R Horton issue, it's poor land to build on. Redbird will be far more stable but the traffic is still killer. Potranco Road will not get relief from traffic for the next 10 years. You could have an outlet by going to Hwy 211 and then over to Hwy 90. But even 90 is a mess during rush hour.

If you don't mind, what are you requirements for a house. Area? Price? Job location?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Black_(soil)

Old 11-17-2016, 06:16 PM

@TrapperL, thank you for your input. I heard of those issues as well. One of the main decisions is based on resale.. I do not plan to stay here forever but a good chunk of my 10 years. I work on Lackland and EVERYONE lives in Redbird Ranch. I traveled the roads during rush hour on both locations. Even though Redbird Ranch is closer and faster, the commute is more crazy based on the 2 lane roads and 90E.

My requirements are the NISD schools, 4bed/3ba/2ga under 300-300k.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
The NISD could be a problem but I would suggest looking at Lytle Texas. It's right down IH35 from SA and you'll have about a 20 minute commute to Lackland. It is a country setting, a well established neighborhood and most of the houses were built by the developer which did a great job of building. You'll be on city water but a septic system. It has local police and you'll see them a lot as they have a small area to cover. Lytle has a very large population of millionaires, more than Bexar County by a lot. Just good ol' country folks. There are 2 houses for sale in this subdivision, actually 3 but I'd avoid the third one. It got to sit a long time at frame and the wood saw many rains. But here's the two I would suggest. The first will have a lake in your back yard. The lake is maybe 200 feet by 1/4 mile when full and it usually is full. There is a common ground with a large covered open meeting house and a play ground. It's under a locked gate and as an owner you will be given a gate code.
1st
15807 White Cap Dr, Lytle, TX 78052 - realtor.com®

2nd
18010 Lake Wind Dr, Lytle, TX 78052 - realtor.com®

The High School at Lytle is fairly new and I know a few of the teachers. They are very dedicated folks. If your kids are close to high school age they can even have animals at school. Considering the police dept rides thru a lot, the money in the area, a subdivision with a lot of country amenities, and the resale should be great as values out there have been on the rise. Understand, there are no guarantees about value but the lots for the lake frontage have gone from 30 grand to 75 grand in about the last 5 years. Might take a drive out there if it sounds like it suits your needs. Lytle has a new HEB and they have just about anything you'd want. The downside would be having to do yard work. A riding mower is required considering this is over an acre for each house.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:33 PM

381 posts, read 1,093,195 times
I just saw this article today regarding DR Horton construction issues in Redbird Ranch.

Dream homes become nightmares for new homeowners following...

Old 11-18-2016, 04:38 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,120,016 times
I've seen a few comments lately on these forums re soil issues in San Antonio. I just wanted to clarify it up for people. The earthquake fault line that kind of runs the same path of I-35 is the dividing line. South of that fault line is unstable soil. North of it is generally rock. So if you're concerned about it, I'd stick to north of I-35.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:18 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Isn't redbird divided somewhere between median valley and nisd?

Old 11-18-2016, 06:48 AM

208 posts, read 381,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
I've seen a few comments lately on these forums re soil issues in San Antonio. I just wanted to clarify it up for people. The earthquake fault line that kind of runs the same path of I-35 is the dividing line. South of that fault line is unstable soil. North of it is generally rock. So if you're concerned about it, I'd stick to north of I-35.
I might be wrong, but doesn't I-35 run North and South?

Old 11-18-2016, 10:44 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Cop View Post
I might be wrong, but doesn't I-35 run North and South?
In San Antonio it splits the city pretty much north/south. Think like downtown where it's in a straight line right through the city.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:07 PM

Thank you for all the responses so far everyone!! Any opinions about the community itself? How about the surrounding communities (Kallison/Talise de Culebra/etc..)? Crime rate outside of the 1604 Loop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio