Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 03:22 PM

12 posts, read 32,015 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any thoughts on the following neighborhoods and how they compare/contrast to one another? I'm looking at:
*Avery Ranch
*Pearson Place
*Ranch @ Brushy
*Walsh Ranch
*Steiner Ranch
*River Place
*Somewhere in Georgetown (maybe Cimmaron Hills)

I know it's a large list. We are trying to narrow these down. We have two elementary aged kids so obviously schools are important to us. Just seems like everything in the Avery Ranch/Ranch @ Brushy area is stacked on-top of each other with no yards and/or views. All seem really nice, just wanted to get opinions on the different areas. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 03:36 PM

318 posts, read 666,513 times
I can tell you a bit about some of those.

Pearson Place-New development, not affiliated with Avery Ranch except for the area. Seem to be building quickly and selling like hotcakes.

Avery Ranch-Nearly completely built out and the resales are also selling quickly. There are areas that have both yards and views; it may depend on your budget. I have enjoyed living here and find I can get to most places quickly. The 'hood is split between Leander ISD and Round Rock ISD. Several pools, parks, active social committee.

Ranch @ Brushy Creek-lovely area. Part of Cedar Park. Houses are selling, though, from my research, not quite as quickly as the neighbors to the south (AR). Leander ISD schools. Community amenities. It's more compact than AR in the aspects of in/out of the 'hood.

Walsh Trails-Small neighborhood. Connects with Ranch @ Brushy Creek somewhere in the 'hood. I read that they will never have a pool, so if community pool is important, there's not one. I believe it's Round Rock ISD. We have friends who live there and love it. Quick access to Williamson County parks across Brushy Creek Rd.

Steiner Ranch/River Place-Both hilly, some have great views. We ruled out these areas due to accessibility and where we'd need to go on a daily basis. Various price points. River Place seemed older to me and not as kept up in some areas of the neighborhood. Steiner Ranch is big. I know that many people love it there (and we liked it too when we looked), but don't like the 620 drive/traffic. Both Steiner Ranch and River Place are part of Leander ISD.

I don't know anything about Georgetown other than I love the quaint downtown.

Hope that helps some!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:41 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,378,094 times
Pretty tough to contrast-compare areas that are 20+ miles apart.

Start with where work/commute/amenities are and work from there. Otherwise, they're pretty much interchangeable. Except for Georgetown. I really have no clue how you look in Steiner and GTown at the same time.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:47 PM

^^^^

Smart call there. Definitely get a feel for where you'll be spending your time in town. If your work is downtown, don't find somewhere to live that will be having you in your car all the time.

When we moved here I didn't want my hubby spending too much time in the car because he had not commuted in over 10 years. So we found a house that had him at his desk in about 5 minutes. If we had opted to live in Steiner Ranch or River Place, it would have taken him at least 30.

Figure out where you'll be on a day-to-day basis and work from that. Fewer headaches.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:54 AM

12 posts, read 32,015 times
Thanks everyone. Based on work distance, we can scratch off Steiner and River Place. But all of the other communities are within 5-10 minutes of each other since our workplace will be in middle Round Rock. Are there some big differences between Georgetown and some of those Cedar Park communities like Ranch @ Brushy, Avery? Each of those and Cimmaron Hills are about 10 minutes from work. Ranch @ Brushy, Pearson, Avery, Walsh Trails all seem interchangeable, so I'm really concerned with Georgetown and how their schools are (Georgetown and Liberty Hill ISD) and everything up that way.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:14 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,378,094 times
Big differences between R@BC, Avery, Walsh, et al will be price point. R@BC is definitely on the high end, and honestly a little steep, IMO.

Schools up north are good - it'll depend on the specific school you're tracking to, but there are certainly some good options.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:28 PM

33 posts, read 64,263 times
Georgetown is building a new elementary school in Teravista (new section) on the border between Round Rock and Georgetown. This new section also has a nice amenity center. Check this out too....

Old 07-21-2013, 04:48 PM

Avery Ranch has an Austin address, if you care about that. Not sure about Pearson Place. All of the others will have Cedar Park or Georgetown.

I think it's going to depend on what you want out of your school and school district. We started out in RRISD school and although it was perfect on PAPER (or screen), the actual programs differed greatly from where we came. We switched to Leander ISD school and have been much happier with the programs.

There are some areas east on Avery Ranch where it turns into O'Connor. Cat Hollow area? Parts of Brushy Creek MUD that look very nice as well. Don't rule that area out. It's bordered by 620 to the east, Avery Ranch to the West, 45/620 to the south and Sam Bass/Hairy Man Rd to the north. (Sorry I can't be more specific about what it's called.)

Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,547,987 times
Isn't Cimarron Hills a lot more expensive than the other neighborhoods mentioned (in regards to entry price)? It's high end homes on large lots (ie. Nolan Ryan has a house in there). If you're looking at the $500k plus price range, Cimarron Hills would probably give you a more upscale/exclusive neighborhood with higher end custom homes compared to the others.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times
Yes, Cimmaron Hills is much more expensive than the others.

OP, what is your price range? In addition to that, what exactly are you looking for in the ideal home? As for schools, if there's anything I've learned it's going to depend on your particular child which school is best. With our two, the school that was great for one would have been a disaster for the other and vice versa due to their unique personalities and learning styles. So it's sort of hard to say that X school district (never mind which school) is going to be best for your kids. Something like Great Schools can give you some parent feedback (though take that with a grain of salt, as well, of course), and then you should contact the schools directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin