Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 05:20 PM

570 posts, read 1,286,828 times

Advertisements

I have used StateFarm for many years because they claim to give a discount if both Auto and Home are insured with them. However my rates keep going up every year.
It is now time to renew again, so I need to shop around to see if I can get a better deal.
The past threads on this topic are from the year 2013 (4 years ago) .....
I would like some more recent/current opinions of what may be some great companies to consider.
Many thanks in advance for helpful advise....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 05:30 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
USAA if you qualify.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:56 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
We left USAA 5-6 years ago after being with them for 20+ years. They tried playing games on a very minor claim, despite my statement that it would cost them our business. 60 days after the incident, we switched to Germania, who was substantially (20%) lower on HO rates, and just a tad higher on Auto - but writes a one-year policy vs USAA's 6-month policy (which I never understood). I called USAA a couple of weeks ago, just to compare. They're still 20+% higher than Germania, so we're staying with them.

State Farm? Friend has them, and is preparing to switch - he's had he** trying to get a claim resolved in which they were rear-ended by another SF policy holder. They're currently with an attorney in order to get things straightened out - it's crazy, but not the first time I've heard similar stories about them.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Had the same issue with State Farm paying a claim where it's driver rear ended my Bronco. Damage was not bad and the truck is still drivable but they pretty much told me after 9 months to F off, they weren't paying. Like I told their moron in their claims dept, if I get hit by a State Farm insured vehicle I will be taking possession of it until the my vehicle is fixed.
I've had real good rates from Metlife and Safeco. Safeco, on the homeowners, paid like a slot machine. No arguments, no nothing but a check. The house got part of the roof torn off from a tornado and I lost my tool shed in the back yard. Gave them a list of the tools gone and they cut a check. Both write 1 year policies too. I won't accept a 6 months policy. I usually just pay cash for it and get it out of the way- i HATE bills and payments. The key to shopping for insurance is getting the multi-policy discounts. They either write for both H/O and auto or they don't write mine at all.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:58 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,120,016 times
+1 with MetLife

Old 01-23-2017, 06:58 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Had the same issue with State Farm paying a claim where it's driver rear ended my Bronco. Damage was not bad and the truck is still drivable but they pretty much told me after 9 months to F off, they weren't paying. Like I told their moron in their claims dept, if I get hit by a State Farm insured vehicle I will be taking possession of it until the my vehicle is fixed.
Taking possession of another person's vehicle? How would that be accomplished? Never heard of anyone doing that. Wouldn't that be theft, unless they voluntarily surrender it?

Not very many circumstances where you would get rear-ended, and be held liable. Don't know what happened there, but the best thing to have done in that situation, would have been to file a claim with your own insurance, then let them go after the other driver. If they are successful, you get your deductible reimbursed. In the meantime, you get damage taken care of.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Taking possession of another person's vehicle? How would that be accomplished? Never heard of anyone doing that. Wouldn't that be theft, unless they voluntarily surrender it?
People love to say stuff like this on the Internet. They never actually try to do it in real life, except in rare situations you read about in News Of The Weird. It isn't long until you see a response like, "If anyone tries to 'take possession' of my car, I'll be sending them to the ER with their teeth in a baggie!"

Old 01-23-2017, 09:48 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
I was also a state farm customer for many years until they started increasing rates for no reason. Went over to Texas Farm Bureau for much better rates.

I hate insurance and it is all a scam. It doesn't work anymore like it is designed to...to protect the customer because some customers take advantage of payouts.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Quote:
They never actually try to do it in real life
Already have done it, several times. You get "schooled" when you have commercial trucks running around all over town. Just because they have an insurance card doesn't mean they have insurance. All you have to do is inform the cop that you are taking the vehicle as collateral against the damages, have a wrecker haul it off to a safe location. Yeah, it's that easy.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:05 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
I just asked a family member who is a police officer if taking someone's car is possible as collateral and he said he would not allow it because he isn't sure if it is legal or not. He said it is not the police officer's job to play small claims court judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio