Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:39 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,913 times

Advertisements

Any new small (1,200 sq ft or less) single level homes (not mobile) for $140,000 or under available in San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 07:55 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Slightly over your budget, but this is probably as close as it gets:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/new_hom...ct/8_zm/0_mmm/?

At that price point, you're pretty much looking at a stock plan that would be built on a lot you already own. I don't think there are any sizable new communities here in San Antonio starting at that low of a price and square footage.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:55 PM

343 posts, read 306,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Any new small (1,200 sq ft or less) single level homes (not mobile) for $140,000 or under available in San Antonio?
Yes go on redfin.com papa. Ex: https://www.redfin.com/TX/San-Antoni.../home/48883902

Old 02-19-2018, 08:11 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
The listing for the home linked above says it was built in 1953. I was assuming the OP was looking for new construction.

If an older home is being considered, then yes, 1200 sq. ft. under $140K is doable.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The listing for the home linked above says it was built in 1953. I was assuming the OP was looking for new construction.

If an older home is being considered, then yes, 1200 sq. ft. under $140K is doable.
I am and thank you for your post.

It is a shame because not to long ago, this type of small new home in San Antonio one could get at under $150. I suppose it is one of the prices San Antonio, Austin and Texas in general is paying for being a top spot in the nation people are flocking too. Home prices have skyrocketed and are even going for more then the asking price/valued at price. These homeprices are nothing if people are moving from a very expensive part of the country. I supposes that is why home prices continue to break the glass ceiling here in SA. Not a good time to be a local firstime homebuyer like me.

Regardless, while I prefer a new home (I dont want to funnel money into repairs and being first time owner means I know no one abused it), I suppose a completly redone home isnt off the list.

I would prefer to stay inside loop 1604 and on either the northeast or northwest side. Basically, if you take 1604 as a giant pie and you cut it into 4 equal parts (half east west, half north south), I would prefer to live in the top two parts of the pie.

If you live in, are selling or know somewhere that meets this criteria and is in a nice neighborhood, please PM me. Im a first time hombuyer and looking to get out of this older apartment once lease is up.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:49 PM

Its interesting I stumbled across this article in my news feed without searching for it right after I made this post. Perhaps this was a sign and now is not the time for a firstime homebuyer in San Antonio. Here is the article:

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...e-12624629.php

Old 02-20-2018, 04:07 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Yeah good luck. Housing that cheap in the loop will not be in a great area. I am looking for small and in the 100ks and not new construction. I just don't need a big house and I work in the city. The closest I can come to that is not in a sketchy neighborhood is out near Schertz/Cibolo and I really don't want that commute. And very few homes there are at that price point. Been looking for a year. Affordable housing here is the big lie. Can't even find condos or town homes. Yeah I've seen some in the loop at that price point that are cute as heck inside and out, but then I look at the neighborhood and drive around and it's like no way. Maybe years ago housing was affordable but not now. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Yeah good luck. Housing that cheap in the loop will not be in a great area. I am looking for small and in the 100ks and not new construction. I just don't need a big house and I work in the city. The closest I can come to that is not in a sketchy neighborhood is out near Schertz/Cibolo and I really don't want that commute. And very few homes there are at that price point. Been looking for a year. Affordable housing here is the big lie. Can't even find condos or town homes. Yeah I've seen some in the loop at that price point that are cute as heck inside and out, but then I look at the neighborhood and drive around and it's like no way. Maybe years ago housing was affordable but not now. Good luck.
I agree man. Ive been casually looking for the past few years. San Antonio no longer has what many would consider affordable housing. Its a shame because that was one thing SA was known for. Sure wages were lower then a lot of the country but at least housing, food and fuel was cheap. No more. With the flooding in of people from all over the nation to the SA, New Braunfels and Austin areas, the days of affordable housing is gone.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:07 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Quote:
Perhaps this was a sign and now is not the time for a firstime homebuyer in San Antonio.
I've been in the industry for over 50 years now, I'll be the first to tell you that you have to be some kind of crazy to buy into the housing market in San Antonio today. Prices are far too high for the wages paid in the area. It's going to take the proverbial dump in the next 24 months. You can always see the expected future of the housing industry locally due to lot developments. And lot developments are way down on the projection tables. It's just a matter of time guys.
FWIW, I'd strongly suggest renting versus buying right now.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I've been in the industry for over 50 years now, I'll be the first to tell you that you have to be some kind of crazy to buy into the housing market in San Antonio today. Prices are far too high for the wages paid in the area. It's going to take the proverbial dump in the next 24 months. You can always see the expected future of the housing industry locally due to lot developments. And lot developments are way down on the projection tables. It's just a matter of time guys.
FWIW, I'd strongly suggest renting versus buying right now.
That sucks as Im looking to own my own place. Thanks for your input (+1 to rep).

My observations reflect your assesment. Housing prices far to high for local wages. And, not a good time to buy due to ridiculous market. Buyers, be prepared to be outbid and pay more then home assesment/value. Its a sellers market for sure. Buyers its terrible. Hopefully this clears up soon. Me wants ta own a home.

Last edited by txbullsfan; 02-20-2018 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio