Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 01:47 PM

20 posts, read 13,247 times

Advertisements

I think the items stems from ignorance or refusal to admit the issues.

Issue 1 - Low pay in San Antonio - needs to be reevaluated with the increased housing cost and rent increases. Increasing professional level wages will help provide better talent in San Antonio. I believe SA gets a brain drain due to this issue.

Issue 2 - Prejudice - To be honest it was just a warning. I wanted people to be aware of it so when the come across it, they will have some insight to correctly recognize it they can do something about it. Or at the very least go to a better employer.

Final - Is SA a great place to live? - I raised my two sons there. Low violent crime and schools were decent. SA is growing, more companies are coming moving there. Things are getting better for professionals. I think SA is a great place to live.

Just know how to maneuver and recognize issues that you may not be use to seeing. Its different type of major city that is changing with more and more new companies moving to the city. My hopes are that this will force companies to be provide competitive benefits and salaries that will better compete on the national level.

Big town with a small town mentality will not last. As it changes, more professionals will be attracted to this city and MORE importantly, the home grown SA young talent will get a chance to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I am trying to comprehend what you are trying to say. You lived in SA from 2001-2013, are a single father, left the US Armed Forces and now say that you were underpaid.
I was giving some context on when I lived there and what I learned leaving SA. Yes I was underpaid and many of my friends that are still there are still today. Do not get me wrong, its good pay compared to everyone else in SA. My issue is most people in SA do not get what they should and the constant response why is because its cheaper. I believe that to be a false statement.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:31 PM

502 posts, read 392,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechamp73 View Post
I think the items stems from ignorance or refusal to admit the issues.

Issue 1 - Low pay in San Antonio - needs to be reevaluated with the increased housing cost and rent increases. Increasing professional level wages will help provide better talent in San Antonio. I believe SA gets a brain drain due to this issue.

Issue 2 - Prejudice - To be honest it was just a warning. I wanted people to be aware of it so when the come across it, they will have some insight to correctly recognize it they can do something about it. Or at the very least go to a better employer.

Final - Is SA a great place to live? - I raised my two sons there. Low violent crime and schools were decent. SA is growing, more companies are coming moving there. Things are getting better for professionals. I think SA is a great place to live.

Just know how to maneuver and recognize issues that you may not be use to seeing. Its different type of major city that is changing with more and more new companies moving to the city. My hopes are that this will force companies to be provide competitive benefits and salaries that will better compete on the national level.

Big town with a small town mentality will not last. As it changes, more professionals will be attracted to this city and MORE importantly, the home grown SA young talent will get a chance to stay.
I believe your statements are valid and as far as the prejudice part I have heard other people say things similar to what you're saying but I can't say for myself whether it's that prevalent or not.

I will say that a lot of people come to San Antonio from places where Latinos are more of a segregated minority ( I know there are some places where Latinos mostly only work in service/low pay type positions)so when they see a lot of Latinos in management/higher paying positions they may think "something is going on".

Not discounting what you say you've experienced but I've noticed that as a trend for people that say that.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
Sorry to hear you've had issues. I've lived in several places, and am moving back to San Antonio from Des Moines now. Pay ranges all over the place and can shoot up quickly depending on market forces. I'm well aware of my market value. San Antonio was actually ahead of Des Moines in that area when I moved to Iowa, but now it's the other way around. That being said, I still found a nice place, AND San Antonio could easily suddenly shoot up in pay the same way Des Moines did.

Good luck in your technical endeavors, bud!

I have a buddy in Iowa and I would agree that SA is better. Did you know Austin is only 2 percent cheaper overall that Chicago. I think Texas is getting more expensive in general with the influx.

Do not let no state tax fool you. In the last some odd years Texas has taken the stance of increasing the value of your home which increases your tax amount. I use to pay like 3k a year for my home in SA. Now its 7k just 5 year later.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
Sorry to hear you've had issues. I've lived in several places, and am moving back to San Antonio from Des Moines now. Pay ranges all over the place and can shoot up quickly depending on market forces. I'm well aware of my market value. San Antonio was actually ahead of Des Moines in that area when I moved to Iowa, but now it's the other way around. That being said, I still found a nice place, AND San Antonio could easily suddenly shoot up in pay the same way Des Moines did.

Good luck in your technical endeavors, bud!
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
I believe your statements are valid and as far as the prejudice part I have heard other people say things similar to what you're saying but I can't say for myself whether it's that prevalent or not.

I will say that a lot of people come to San Antonio from places where Latinos are more of a segregated minority ( I know there are some places where Latinos mostly only work in service/low pay type positions)so when they see a lot of Latinos in management/higher paying positions they may think "something is going on".

Not discounting what you say you've experienced but I've noticed that as a trend for people that say that.
Oh yea I heard that too sometimes from my inexperience white peeps. I grew up in a mostly "Mexican" neighborhood. My dad that raised me didn't move here until he married my mom when I was 5. So thought I had a vast understanding of Hispanics in general since I grew up with them in Houston my whole life. But my neighborhood was Mexican, first time immigrants coming here to the US. San Antonio is historically Hispanics, families that have been here for generations. Much different culture and way of life.

I find a lot of people come from the border towns to the "big city" of San Antonio. Its changing I think for the betterment of SA and its people. I bet you they will grow top 5 cities in the next 20 years. Maybe sooner.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:15 PM

502 posts, read 392,600 times
Quote:
Oh yea I heard that too sometimes from my inexperience white peeps. I grew up in a mostly "Mexican" neighborhood. My dad that raised me didn't move here until he married my mom when I was 5. So thought I had a vast understanding of Hispanics in general since I grew up with them in Houston my whole life. But my neighborhood was Mexican, first time immigrants coming here to the US. San Antonio is historically Hispanics, families that have been here for generations. Much different culture and way of life.

I find a lot of people come from the border towns to the "big city" of San Antonio. Its changing I think for the betterment of SA and its people. I bet you they will grow top 5 cities in the next 20 years. Maybe sooner.
Yes you're definitely right in making that distinction in the Latino population of San Antonio. Not many people are fully aware of how different San Antonio Hispanic culture is to Latin American culture, it can be quite a culture shock. Which it why it irrates me when people will assume that someone will automatically like San Antonio because they're Latino.

Very few people actually speak fluent Spanish and San Antonio actually gets very few Latin American immigrants.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:58 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,136,542 times
Quote:
Get a CISSP cert and you will make more money but get out of SA. I hope I am wrong, please someone down there tell me I am wrong.
The two CISSPs I have worked with in SA in the last 5 years were both making north of $100K. Jobs at that level are high-risk. If you have that cert and the place you work for suffers a serious breach of security, you're going to be the scapegoat who gets fired. It's a double-edged sword.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:31 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,841,626 times
Quote:
I have a buddy in Iowa and I would agree that SA is better. Did you know Austin is only 2 percent cheaper overall that Chicago. I think Texas is getting more expensive in general with the influx.

Do not let no state tax fool you. In the last some odd years Texas has taken the stance of increasing the value of your home which increases your tax amount. I use to pay like 3k a year for my home in SA. Now its 7k just 5 year later.
Did you ever dispute your property tax? It's not set in stone. You have the right, and the obligation to do something about it. And, I don't let "no state tax" (sic) fool me. I don't let things happen and just complain. I use my abilities to make things better, or, at least try before I whine and give up.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:47 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,841,626 times
Quote:
Maybe instead of insulting me, read what I said. Then maybe you will see that I did not insult all of SA. But hey its your right to be impulsive and choose to be defensive. Racist much?
Racist? Impulsive? Defensive?
I do believe the mirror is in your direct vicinity. Nor did I insult you. You have taken the attitude that speaking/typing so lazily is acceptable. One has to wonder if this type of mannerism is how you do your job. the resounding "I'm using my cell phone is a cop-out" or, OH. "My Bad" (I don't have to be correct or do things right because I have excuses) Most of the Millennial Generation find it easier to make excuses rather than do things correct.
Can't you just imagine a Police Officer on trial for murder some day saying to the judge: " Hey your Judge-ship, I was on the phone with my "Boo" and this dude came outta nowhere so I like, just ya' know, pulled my gun and it like, well, went off, four times. I didn't mean to kill nobody, I was on my cell phone, "My Bad".

I learned that before I complain, or point fingers, to be accountable for my own actions/lack thereof. One points a finger at someone else, that person has 3 pointing back at themself. Make sure you are giving 100%, "make improvements, Not excuses, Seek Respect, not Attention"
If you are confident in your own worth, the worthiness of others ceases to be an issue.

Last edited by sinsativ; 08-10-2018 at 07:56 AM..

Old 08-10-2018, 08:11 AM

392 posts, read 750,083 times
Quote:

Property tax is just about as high in parts of Iowa too... tax burden in Texas is indeed lower. I'll have my breakfast tacos and Whataburger too!! hahaha, oh and awesome BBQ when I don't smoke it myself. Not that these are the reasons I'm moving, but... just wanna add some lightheartedness here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio