Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 05:47 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,411,790 times

Advertisements

I think that what bothers me is that a group that wants inclusion and tolerance is not willing to extend the same to those that they feel offended by.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:18 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,199,062 times
The City Council did a pretty good job, on a national level, of making San Antonio look like it's inhabited by a bunch of Rubes.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:52 AM

65 posts, read 68,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
The City Council did a pretty good job, on a national level, of making San Antonio look like it's inhabited by a bunch of Rubes.
I disagree. You’re gonna have a vocal minority that hates this and you’ll have a “not as” vocal minority that love this and then everyone else who just doesn’t care.

If you care about what the vocal minority that hated this move thinks, then yes, I can see why you’d think that. But as I said, it’s just not true.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:20 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,411,790 times
I emailed Nirenberg's office as well as the council members of my concern for their decision.

their responses are published below:

Old 04-04-2019, 07:30 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,352,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Why would we even consider having a concession at the airport that is closed every Sunday and on Thanksgiving and Christmas?
Ask all of these locations

Chick-Fil-A is located in the following airports:

Houston Hobby
DFW
George Bush Intercontinental Airport
Orlando International Airport
LAX
San Jose International Airport
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport
Denver International Airport
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
Tampa International Airport
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Int'l Airport
Baltimore-Washington International Airport
Detroit Metropolitan Airport

And on and on and on. Meh it was poor attempt at pandering that brought undue attention. What they should have voted on was to keep the concessions 100% local and that would have solved both problems. Was Chick-Fil-A even an option in the concession package? All the other offerings are 100% local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmann View Post
I disagree. You’re gonna have a vocal minority that hates this and you’ll have a “not as” vocal minority that love this and then everyone else who just doesn’t care.

If you care about what the vocal minority that hated this move thinks, then yes, I can see why you’d think that. But as I said, it’s just not true.
We all know Robert Trevino does not actually believe this was a move to make people feel welcome in the city. If he truly felt that, then he would examine all the charitable contributions of all the vendors at the airport. He is lazy and he was going after a well known company. I see a mayoral run or state congressional run where he can campaign on keeping that evil chicken out of the city airport.

If the citizens supported this move then San Antonio would not be home to 30 Chick-Fil-As on evey side of town in every type on neighborhood.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:22 AM

4,331 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
What they should have voted on was to keep the concessions 100% local and that would have solved both problems. Was Chick-Fil-A even an option in the concession package? All the other offerings are 100% local.
My understanding was that the new concession contract was to include several local/regional vendors in the mix, sort of like it is now. If you keep it 100% local, that might play well with locals flying out of SAT, but visitors may be hesitant to drop their money at an unfamiliar name, especially when they are on the go & not familiar with the offerings.

I also understood that Raising Cane's was not being renewed, and Chick-Fil-A was proposed by the new concessionaire to replace them, but they are now looking for another alternative, in the wake of the Council's decision.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Ask all of these locations

Chick-Fil-A is located in the following airports:

Houston Hobby
DFW
George Bush Intercontinental Airport
Orlando International Airport
LAX
San Jose International Airport
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport
Denver International Airport
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
Tampa International Airport
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Int'l Airport
Baltimore-Washington International Airport
Detroit Metropolitan Airport

And on and on and on. Meh it was poor attempt at pandering that brought undue attention. What they should have voted on was to keep the concessions 100% local and that would have solved both problems. Was Chick-Fil-A even an option in the concession package? All the other offerings are 100% local.

We all know Robert Trevino does not actually believe this was a move to make people feel welcome in the city. If he truly felt that, then he would examine all the charitable contributions of all the vendors at the airport. He is lazy and he was going after a well known company. I see a mayoral run or state congressional run where he can campaign on keeping that evil chicken out of the city airport.

If the citizens supported this move then San Antonio would not be home to 30 Chick-Fil-As on evey side of town in every type on neighborhood.
Chick fil a was one of the vendors the company had on its list, but city council voted to award them the contract only if they removed cfa from their list.

Also, I am speaking specifically to the perception of this move. It’s got its right supports and its nay sayers. The nay sayers have a louder voice, as do most things that soark conservative outage, than that of the supporters. But as I said, that middle group, the large majority are people who either have no idea this even haven’t or just don’t care one way or the other.

Obviously, the city nor the citizens can’t stop chick gil a from opening in retail centers or malls or whatever private property they build on. This was a public building and the city made their choice. We’ll all survive this.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:49 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,199,062 times
Quote:

I disagree with your analysis. Their decision has cast us in a negative way.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
I disagree with your analysis. Their decision has cast us in a negative way.
I disagree with this assessment.

The vast majority of people are apathetic to it. They don’t care and if they hear about will respond with some variant of: “Who cares?”, “That was kind of dumb, but whatever.”, or “I mean, that’s cool I guess.”.

Just because a vocal minority is the loudest about their disdain for what happened doesn’t mean San Antonio is universally painted in a negative like. Just to a base of people who watch fox news or visit conservitive/far right websites.

The rest either agree, applaud or don’t care.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:25 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,728,171 times
Quote:
I disagree with this assessment.

The vast majority of people are apathetic to it. They don’t care and if they hear about will respond with some variant of: “Who cares?”, “That was kind of dumb, but whatever.”, or “I mean, that’s cool I guess.”.

Just because a vocal minority is the loudest about their disdain for what happened doesn’t mean San Antonio is universally painted in a negative like. Just to a base of people who watch fox news or visit conservitive/far right websites.

The rest either agree, applaud or don’t care.
Yep. I patronize plenty of right-winged businesses, but the great majority of them don't wear their politics on their sleeve like the way that CEO Cathy did and does with all of his anti-gay charities that work to demonize gay people. I could rattle off some local businesses that have done things like not give employee benefits to same sex domestic partners back in the day, but that would probably set off a conservative chest-thumping stampede to support their businesses. Even Whataburger (another brand that I grew up with and still appreciate) has a decal in their window that reads "One Nation ...under God". They might very well be religious nut jobs, but they don't go around crowing about it, and their burgers are delicious. HEB is owned by the heavily Baptist Butt family, but I was impressed several years ago when a local HEB store at 1604 & 281 gave some lesbians $300 worth of groceries to use for a local gay festival- a small token, but thoughtful none theless. A picket from the nut jobs promptly ensued at the store to let everyone know that this token donation was not appreciated by them. Butt family also evens it out by generously donating to his employees, which I also appreciate. I wonder if any of you would even care if a business owner proclaimed "I hate faggs" on the radio or TV? If you put it on the other foot, I'll bet that you would get butt-hurt indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio