Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2019, 04:29 PM

159 posts, read 185,685 times

Advertisements

Looking to see what my chances of an SAPD motorcycle cop showing up to court for a BS following too close ticket in court?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 05:30 PM

36 posts, read 25,681 times
Default Guilty!

Were, you following too closely? I dislike tailgaters enormously. Just pay up and don't repeat this behavior, ever. Don't you know how close, is too close? It is a safety violation and aggressive driving.
There is no need for this behavior. Nothing is so urgent unless you are heading for the hospital emergency room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcondren View Post
Looking to see what my chances of an SAPD motorcycle cop showing up to court for a BS following too close ticket in court?

Old 12-18-2019, 07:52 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,801 times
It is close to certain he would.

Motorcycle cops are traffic cops. It is what they do.

Also, if a cop does not show up, it is still up to the judge to dismiss the ticket. It is not some automatice loophole.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:00 AM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
It is my understanding that judges do not like it when cops don't show up.

That being said...this was over 15 years ago...I did contest a speeding ticket once and after an initial offer to take a deal and declining the offered deal, it ended up being dismissed on the spot because the cop who wrote me the ticket was never present. I remember seeing the judge's face and she was not happy at all.

That one was truly a BS ticket too and was prepared to fight it as best I could.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:10 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
Zocondren.

Most Police officers now wear body cameras, and most Police vehicles ( including motorcycles ) have video cameras, too.

It is standard practice for each officer working a shift...to have a specific court day assigned ( by the shift SGT ) at the start of each shift they work. That results in each person who is issued a citation that day, being told to attend court on the same day, in the future.

If a officer issues 5 citations during a shift ( not an unusual amount ) all 5 persons will all appear in traffic court on the same day.

So, yes, the officer will be there. With the video evidence.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:24 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Zocondren.

Most Police officers now wear body cameras, and most Police vehicles ( including motorcycles ) have video cameras, too.

It is standard practice for each officer working a shift...to have a specific court day assigned ( by the shift SGT ) at the start of each shift they work. That results in each person who is issued a citation that day, being told to attend court on the same day, in the future.

If a officer issues 5 citations during a shift ( not an unusual amount ) all 5 persons will all appear in traffic court on the same day.

This is so true.
Would be a great idea to invest in a decent dash cam to have video proof of those "BS" tickets.
I have one that has front and rear cameras...you never know when something bad happens. Could save your hiney in an accident or a ticket.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:44 AM

Default No B.S. ticket,

The Colloquialism tailgater, is applied to this not too intelligent practice of following to closely the car ahead. This being said.
On the outside statistical chance of an emergency stop for some unknown reason, say someone crosses over the center line, someone ahead causes an emergency stop , a car crash ahead , someone bolts across the street on foot, the traffic ahead comes to an abrupt stop, a traffic lamp turns red and the lead driver suddenly stomps the brake pedal, a distracted driver suddenly makes an error of some sort (texting), a child vomits or screams, an emergency vehicle suddenly turns ahead, anything, then there does not exist a safe stopping distance between your tailgating vehicle and the one ahead of you.
Tailgating and texting is a bad idea also.
It puts other people in harms way in a rear end collision and is not only inconsiderate but very dangerous. These tailgaters must not take into account the danger of this illegal practice, seriously.
Whiplash, or other injuries can result in lawsuits against you , not to mention a crash itself in which the tailgater is guilty, not only of this but other resultant liabilities and charges. Because they are already, guilty.
Whiplash lawsuits are famous. Lawyers and Chiropractors salivate over these. I advised a friend of mine in physical therapy for her neck caused by a kid who crashed into her back bumper while doing this, to do just this. She is the sweetest thing imaginable and was a special needs teacher, for many years and was last giving a wheel chair bound student lessons at the little girl's home. I persuaded her to plead her case in court and she refused.
Typically. Typical of her. She still suffers pain from this accident after her physical therapy ended.
The tailgater fled the scene and was caught within minutes. The stupid kid's Dad called her at home
a few weeks after the accident to ask her, please not, to press charges. It is just her way, not to press charges. This law exists for a reason.
People with old junk cars will brake suddenly and cause a crash purposely just to get a free down payment for a newer car. What a great idea! Plus a whiplash suit too? Yes they do.
The driver may think, they are giving the person ahead of them a driving lesson but it is they who need a
wisdom transplant.
Especially so for motorcyclists. The motorcycle tailgatist is not a very good idea either. This is a self-defeating practice and needs no explanation for most, because well....in an emergency stop they will either eat the bumper or end up underneath it.
In the opposite case of a motorcyclist being tailgated a sudden stop can cause death or serious injury by the tailgatist. Not a very good idea either.
Once the posted speed limit is exceeded the right of way of a passing motorist becomes invalid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
It is my understanding that judges do not like it when cops don't show up.

That being said...this was over 15 years ago...I did contest a speeding ticket once and after an initial offer to take a deal and declining the offered deal, it ended up being dismissed on the spot because the cop who wrote me the ticket was never present. I remember seeing the judge's face and she was not happy at all.

That one was truly a BS ticket too and was prepared to fight it as best I could.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:48 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,012,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Zocondren.

Had a co worker who got a ticket for following to close and the officer was wearing a camera to show how close he was. The ticket got dismissed because what the video didn't show at first and wasn't shown until the co workers requested, was for them to show 30 second previous to the start of the video. That showed that the car my co worker was following had cut in front of him. My co worker actually had to slam on his breaks so he wouldn't be so close.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:44 PM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquacious View Post
The Colloquialism -> *snip, snip, snip*.....invalid.
Unless you were there and know my situation. There is no need for you to comment on it. The end.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:10 PM

Default The Need,for an ending,

The need to employ an overused cliche' is oh, so, average. And entirely all too common.
Having said that.....and with that being said, Traffic ticket beaten ?
Good !

I say this about S.A. traffic cops instead , they are not handing out B.S. tickets. If the guy got it from Leon Valley or what ever P.D., it does not matter ? I do not think so.
These folks keep risking their lives out there on motorcycles in traffic every day and believe me, it is extremely dangerous. What these people do out there is not B.S. I respect their job and sacrifice and
what is done for people who think traffic laws do not apply to them. I hope that you are not texting this from your automobile. Because I think you are wrong about this.
No offense intended, none taken. Thank you. For your attention. Apologies mutually accepted.
What else is new? Say, ain't this a San Antonio Forum? Well good then. Speaking of San Antonio traffic
cops.

I see where one woman died after running directly, head on, into oncoming traffic today around here, said S.A.P.D. This situation is, self evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Unless you were there and know my situation. There is no need for you to comment on it. The end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio